Another big sucker down! Warning graphic hunting footage.

edited October 2011 in Hunting & Working
It has been a exciting week with a new baby in the house with lots of sleepless nights. This morning I had a job interview and when I got home the wife told me to get out of the house a little and enjoy some time with my 4 year old son Yusuke. The first thing Yusuke said was that he wanted to go boar hunting so I packed up Taro and Koyuki and headed for the hills for what I though was going to be a nice walk and some time to blwo some energy.

As we hiked down into the creek bed, Yusuke started to get a bit cranky and said "Dad I dont think there's any hogs here" I tell him dude we just got here! All of a sudden I hear Taro give out a nice bark. I stop and listen again and now I hear Taro and Koyuki barking their mouth off. I put Yusuke on my shoulder and sprint over the hill back toward the creek bed.

All of a sudden I see a red hog in the 140lbs range with Taro inching closer and closer toward the boars face while barking. Koyuki is circling the hog trying to figure out if she should get closer or not but she's barking and keeping at it from a distance. The hog truns and goes back into the creek bed and Taro goes right after it spinning the hog around and baying it up again. At this point I'm frozen cause I was not expecting this and I have a 4 year old with me...

All of a sudden I hear the pig squeal and Taro catches the hog on its cheek trying to hold it down. I bust out the crapberry and start rolling film the best I could (this is where I need a hunting partner). This goes on for about 10 minutes with Taro doing a bad ass job keeping the hog bayed up and going in and catching the hog. I sneak down into the brush with my 41mag revolver and put a round in the hog when Taro moves out of the way. The hog soaks up the round and continues trying to escape from Taro but with no success.

While all this is going on Koyuki is still circling and trying to get into the mix. At one point she gets a little too close and with all other green dogs, she gets bumped by the hog. Soon Taro gets a good hold on the hog and I jump into the mud sludge and put a second round behind the hogs head. The hog goes down but still is struggling to get up so I take out my knife and put a blade through its heart, killing it instantly.

I get the dogs leashed up, check for cuts (Taro had a cut vest on), and grab gear and kid to secure all the gear. Once dogs and gear were secured in the truck, I hike back with Yusuke and make a back pack out of the hog and hike out with the big sucker on my back. At one point I also had Yusuke on my shoulder so now I think I pulled a muscle in my shoulder.

Pics and vid to come, standby...

Comments

• Okay, that's nuts. Great story telling, can see it all going down, and it sounds like a fun day. Yusuke was probably pretty happy.
  • Holy wow gen.
  • Wow! You are quite the story teller! :) What an awesome day it must have been.

Haha looks like you really are going to have to host a bbq~ :)
  • Wow that sounds awesome! I love reading your hunting stories, I can completely visualize it.
  • Which vest are you using on Taro? Ugly dog ranch? I need a new one for Baron this year.
  • Hahaha! Awesome! It cracks me up that your 4-year-old wanted to go hog hunting!
    Sounds like the dogs are really coming along. They're silent on trail, right?
  • Love your story-telling. :-) Like what everybody else said, I could completely visualize what was going on.

• I can imagine what your wife would be saying now, "You did what??? I was thinking spending time going to Legoland or the zoo. And to think I just birthed your future videographer..."

Jesse
  • Wow, your day must have brightened up a bit there! LOL

Anyways can't wait to see pics and video :)
  • wow... sounds hectic. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the video...
  • Wow! Sounds amazing. I like to hear about Yusuke getting involved. Isaac's been asking to go hunting and I keep wondering how to bring a little one along. He's 5. Of course, Mum's still a noob, lol.

Yeah, I can't wait for the video. Good on you for getting that! That's an amazing story.
  • edited October 2011
    Not a great photo but I will get some more up soon.

DSCN0815

Taro catching and holding the boar.

IMG00195-20111020-1652

IMG00189-20111020-1626
  • edited October 2011
    Sorry for the horrible video. I have some more I'm loading up.

This video is where Taro and Koyuki has the hog bayed up in the creek bed.

• This Taro catching and holding the hog after the hog took one shot, I'm telling Yusuke to stay at the top while I try to get close enough for the second shot.

• Shigeru: I'm using the Custom collars vest, the fitment is great and it has plenty of mobility without uncomfortable seams. I think they run about $75.00 or so, let me know if you need one.
  • Wow dude. What a great day! Dogs performed admirably, and you got to share it with Yusuke. What more could you ask for? :-)
  • Yeah I'm still amazed how well Taro and Koyuki did, it was as if Taro has been doing this all his life. I was watching a hog hunting show on A&E and I'm so proud of my dogs for doing the job of about 4 dogs. I just got done washing the dogs down for a second time, that mud is hard to get out...
  • Wow, that's nuts! Way to go Taro and Koyuki. Your son must have been really excited.
  • This is awesome! haha, I could just imagine your wife's face when you got home when your son, the dogs and a huge hog in tow!!!
  • Soon as we heard the dogs barking, I saw Yusuke's eyes light up. We got home and he says to me that the boar was too small... As if he knows what a big boar is.
  • Your son sounds adorable. Nice catch.
  • Holy crap! Nice Gen!

& here I was thinking you'd take a break with the new baby here & all lol ~
  • That pig *sounds* bigger than 140lbs. Jeebus...awesome vids.
  • Thanks every one! Yusuke is now asking me when we are going back for a bigger boar. Hunting with a young kid isn't too hard although there's always the danger of a pig charging so I always kept him near me and near a tree that I could climb up with Yusuke. The most important thing is to keep a kid occupied with things like picking acorns, identifying animal tracks, and having them be in charge of things like binoculars or dog treats.

@kevin: both dogs are silent on track and hot nosed although I have seen Taro track cold tracks before. Taro is more of a catch oriented dog and Koyuki a bay dog which makes for a great combo. Nice thing is both dogs have great drive and Taro is a great strike dog that is always willing to get into the thick brush.

I think the hog weighed a little more or at least that's what my back is telling me. I struggled a bit to dead lift it in the truck bed so I'm guessing possibly around 160 give or take.
  • Nice work. I love that Yusuke went with you. What a cool experience for a kid.
  • Yusuke sounds like a good helper. :)

Congrats on the boar.
  • awesome hunt, that got me excited!
    i wish i had wild boar in my area, a boar hunt is definitely something i hope to try in the future.
  • I have heard that there are hogs in BC in small pockets and boar ranches that you can hunt on with dogs.
  • Yeah, it's the same story as here in Alberta. They're tricky to find... I'm still working on that! I actually found an excuse to research it for school, since we have to do a presentation on invasive species.

What kind of knife did you use, Gen?
  • woah really?!
    im going to have to look that up.