Ghost spam! *updated 07/01/15*

Hey guys, sorry for the delay with puppy spam. its been pretty hectic lately and i havent had the time to get all the pics into my computer, ive barely been able to look at them. ive named my shikoku pup ghost and here are some pics of him when he was around 8 weeks old. i have a bunch more pics (recent ones too) and ill try to get them up as soon as possible.

ghost is doing well, and im glad that my shiba is learning to at least tolerate him. ive yet to see her play with him but maybe one day? :)

ive been working with a private trainer once a week and he is learning fast. he seems to have a good prey drive, the first time he saw a bird he was totally focused on it and wanted to grab it. he also goes after small moving objects. if i throw a rock or stick near him he will actually run to it and pounce on it before picking it up.

anyways we just got back from a hunting trip and we are beat. ghost had a blast out there sniffing around in the woods and went bananas over a hare that was shot. he pounced on it immediately and went for the neck then shook it around. he didnt want to give it back!
ill add more to this later and i hope u guys enjoy this first set of pics!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Comments

• Man, he's beautiful!
  • handsome dog. congrats
  • Cute pup! Congrats!
  • Great pictures of your puppy! Thanks for indulging us. Don't worry about the near-term introduction to your Shiba. Treat it as a marathon and not a sprint. My Shiba, to this day, still can't take some of my Shikoku's antics, but it helps to establish boundaries (Shiba runs to the crate and the Shikoku can't follow them inside).

Best of luck and thanks again for the puppy spam!

Jesse
  • Congrats on the rambunctious pup!
  • What a cute pup! :)
  • @Crimson02 I think Ghost is a Shikoku. :-)'

Great pics! I really like the one of him standing on his back legs with the toy. He looks like a little bear cub with the way he's standing. Too cute.
  • Hey Tara,
    I know he is but Ghost is the third dog behind jikjak's Shiba and Akita right?. I was just commenting on the introducing an ornery Shikoku to a Shiba aspect of the thread.

Jesse
  • It's about time you officially introduced Ghost, he's a very handsome pup. In time, your shiba will learn to tolerate him and may even play. It was the same way when I first brought in Miyu, Tetsu was pretty much out for blood. Now they'll sleep together and play once in a while. Miyu does get a little too rude for Tetsu once in a while, but time outs have really helped reduce those occasions.
  • thanks for the kind comments everyone. ill get more pics on here as soon as possible but i have to leave on a brief business trip to asia on wednesday morning. i hate to leave him but i really have to go take care of something. im keeping it really short and i expect to be back in 10 days. on the plus side i will at least be able to see lady (shiba) again. she's the shiba that lives in the philippines that we (grandchildren) gave to my grandma for her birthday.

ghost is dog #3, i also have emi (shiba, 7 years) and max (akita, 10 years) hes an outside dog and i believe the arthritis is kicking in since he is slower to get up and needs more time to warm up the joints before he can run around. anyways, that being said, he now lives with a friend of mine inside his house which is a much better situation for him. the good thing is that i can see him often and visit pretty much whenever i want. he will be meeting ghost sometime soon and im quite excited for that as he is a very gentle and good natured akita.

question for crimson02, calia and other shikoku and shiba owners, how long did it take for the 2 dogs to actually play with each other and sleep together? also what is the age gap between the 2? i cant wait for the day that emi and ghost actually interact nicely with each other!
  • Ichi is 3 and Kurenai just turned 1. It wasn't until she was about 7-8 months old before she finally got the idea that trying to get milk from her brother, nipping his heels, nipping his neck, chasing him, jumping on him, wrestling with him and biting his feet are not allowed (she has that stupidly high prey drive). The only time they will sleep comfortably together (as in physically touching) is when I've gotten both so tired that the Shiba is too tired to put up a fight, and the Shikoku is too tired to start one. However, that kind of energy expenditure usually also puts me out for the afternoon too so I can't even be awake to enjoy it! >:-)

I'm hoping that by the time she turns 2, she "gets it" and they both settle in. Granted, my Shiba is a shy dog to begin with...

Jesse
  • Miyu turned 1 in September, Tetsu turned 3 in May. Tetsu started playing with her inside the house after about 5 months of living with her. Though, when it came to them being in a public place where Tetsu expected to see dogs, like the dog park, Tetsu actually enjoyed playing with her right away. He expected to physically interact with dogs, so he was less guarded and more playful at the dog park, even initiating play with her.

Miyu also had Tikaani to play with, so Tetsu did get some breaks from her rudeness. A lot of the times if Miyu starts to frustrate Tetsu, Tikaani will jump in and literally drag her away (usually by the scruff, leg or tail) so she would have to play with him instead of annoying Tetsu. It really does help giving her options, so she can alternate between who she annoys and not give one dog an aneurysm.
  • LOL @Calia,
    So Beth, are you insinuating I should get a 3rd dog?...oy....(O_O)

Jesse
  • @CrimsonO2 - I bet your life would be easier if you had another shikoku to keep Kurenai company -- especially a male shikoku :-). I think that they really enjoy the rough play and a shiba does not -- or at least not the same style of play.

Also, FWIW, my 2 shikoku do love to lay next to each other, and when she was small, my male would let her climb right into the dog bed or lay her body on top of his. It seems most shiba find that really too intrusive.
  • @CrimsonO2 - LoL Jesse, I'm not insinuating anything :P

I think though that if it were just Miyu and Tetsu, there would be a lot of blood and use of baby gates. If it were just Miyu and Tikaani, there would be no issue as they love playing together and Tikaani is very tolerant of rude behavior. When he doesn't want to play with Miyu, he just goes in his crate which winds up being too tight for both of them.
  • I don't disagree with you both, but I'm living in a 1 BR apartment right now with my better half and the 2 dogs. In due time when my living arrangements increase, maybe then I'll consider a playmate for Kurenai.

Jesse
  • hmm another dog sounds like a nice solution!
    my hands are full right now with ghost but maybe in the future, but should it be another shikoku or perhaps a different breed of nihon-ken?
  • Congrats again @jikjak. Wonderful pictures! It is great to see how different Argos and Ghost have become. Your boy appears to have gotten even darker than when we saw him.
    Have Ghost's ears fully perked already. In some photos it looks like they have. Argos' right ear is nearly fully perked while his left is still half floppy.
    Hope your shiba warms up to Ghost without too much more trouble.
  • thanks again!
    he certainly looks darker indoors but u can really see the red on his sides when he is in the sun.
    both of his ears pricked up a few days after bringing him home.

on a side note, there was an altercation with the shiba today and she bit ghost on the ear and it actually cut him and drew blood.
    he seems fine though, and i put some polysporin on it just in case.
  • Ghost is adorable. :)
  • Ghost looks great, keep the puppy pics coming! :)

I can't wait to see how Ghost and Argos look a year down the road, how much they change, and how they compare as youths...considering they looked nearly identical at birth. :)

Been viewing the forum on a mobile lately, had to log in the old fashioned way and check the pics out properly!

Now...that is two of the five pups...what happened to number three that was also a NK forum member...
  • edited October 2011
    ill have some more pics up soon. i just got back from a business trip and ghost definitely grew in under a week! these guys sure grow fast, and hes looking less and less like a puppy everyday!
    i also see that he has gotten much darker. a lot of black hairs have sprouted up all of a sudden. i guess his outer coat is starting to grow because it is much coarser hair and nowhere near as soft.
    im glad to see that because id like to have as little red as possible! i just weighed him in today at 20lbs.
  • @jikjak - Looking forward to the latest pics. Color will change a lot before the year is out. Nothing wrong with a red sesame, we are happy to have one of each; and while Kimi has more definition and gets a little more attention when we are out and about, Yoshi looks cool in his own right. All the pups looked like Yamato at birth, only time will tell if they pull a bit more black. If Ghost's guard hairs are coming in you will notice a lot more black intermixed with the red. Honestly; I think all Shikoku look pretty kicking, toss in that attitude and you can't go wrong... :)
  • i agree, they all look awesome! i have nothing against red sesame at all, i just wanted his colors to be as different as possible from the color of my red shiba.
    are the guard hairs the same as his second (outer) coat hairs?

• @jikjak - Guard hairs are the outer coat. If your Shiba is red and not a darker red sesame, Ghost will look quite different when his coat fully develops. Of course, anyone unfamiliar with the breed might still mistake him for a Shiba; albeit, a rather large one. :)
  • Remember you two...look at the hair around their butts and taints to get an idea for what their adult coat is going to look like!

Jesse
  • Awesome pictures! I missed this thread, being out of country (and out of reach of internet).
    Congrats on this beautiful boy :D
  • thanks brego!

my shiba is a red so their colors are already very different right now. :)
    i cant wait to see how his coat will develop but im liking the direction that its going right now.

the hair right around Ghost's butt is white but the skin there is dark. ill make sure to post a butt shot as well.
  • edited October 2011
    Here is a short video of ghost during a hunting trip 2 weeks ago.
    hope it doesnt bother you guys.