Ikoro: Haru's sister

edited October 2011 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Ikoro is Haru's littermate. She's a working dog, tracking non-native raccoons for a Hokkaido University eradication program.

Here she is, busy at the office.

ikoro2

...and out for a stroll.

ikoro1

Here's how she looked the last time I saw her which was over a year ago.

ikoro3

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Oh my goodness, I love the first and last picture! She is like, don't bother me, let me take a nap in my chair...I am sure I look like that sometimes at work, but much less attractive than that, lol. She has a really pretty face (last pic)! How does she know to specifically target non-native raccoons? Does she go out with her handler and when they see one and her handler says go get it, THEN she kills it? That is interesting how they get her to discriminate between ok to kill vs. not ok to kill.
  • Oh my God. Beautiful dog. Yeah how does she distinguish a non native with a native?

and walrus (I still dont know your name yet) is there a way of looking a bigger size of your profile picture, I would like to see the details.
  • I think "non-native" raccoon would be North American Raccoon and native would be Tanuki?

She is absolutely adorable. I love the shape of her face.
  • She's pretty, it looks like her head filled out more than Haru's. Her color is interesting too, similar to half of the pups from Haru's first litter.
  • edited January 2012
    I think once Kyuubi's brindle goes into his muzzle he will look a lot like Ikoro! The coloring is very interesting because both Kyuubi and Taka have a lot of black on them just like Ikoro :)

IMG_9042

Kyuubi still has some growing and filling out to do, but he definitely resembles his Auntie Ikoro.
  • Wow, she is gorgeous!
  • She really does have a beautiful face!

Thanks for sharing. :)
  • She really is gorgeous!
  • Wow she's stunning! Love that headshot - she's gorgeous :D
  • That is one gorgeous girl, I am really loving her face and pattern
  • @ttddinh North American raccoons are a non-native species here in Japan. They are similar to the native 'tanuki' (raccoon dog) but once you've seen both, there's no mistaking the two.

Ikoro is only trained to pick up scent and track to the nesting area. Once they know where the coons are holed up, they bait traps in the vicinity.
  • So she's not a tree dog? Shoot!
  • She is very beautiful.
  • When she gets to the nesting area, does she make a sound or some type of signal? Or does she just stay there (at the nest) until you find her?
  • I love how Kai girls look like ladies. She's really pretty.

Now Kyuubi should come visit me so I can see if he looks like his Auntie!!!!! @jujee
  • Wow badass! That would be cool to see a Kai tree a coon. I have heard that the raccoons have been going crazy in Kantou but I didnt know they were in Hokkaido! I wish people would stop importing exotic pets into Japan...
  • The areas in Japan where coons are becoming a real problem are Kansai, Chiba, and Hokkaido. Here in Chiba we have a couple other introduced species that we're trying to get rid of, muntjac, and the Taiwan macaque. There was a small private zoo that went belly up years ago, and apparently they escaped/were released from there. The coons were exotic pets that people dumped.

@ttdinh if I remember correctly, she's trained in pretty much the same manner as a drug dog. I'd have to double check to be sure.
  • Sad this has happened so hard to remove invasive species once they settle in. >.<

• Love the picture in the chair!

Snf
  • Like Haru, she's beautiful! I love hearing about the different jobs dogs have. Who knew raccoon tracking would be one of them?
  • @tjbart17 - haha I guess you will be pup sitting him when we come up to visit then! :)
  • @jujee Yes yes yes I would love to!!!!! Koda has been cleared by the vet so please feel free to send him on over!!!!!! Koda loves other dogs. I think they would have a blast.
  • The last pict of Ikoro is so beautiful ! I love his expression !!!
  • Ikoro is a gorgeous Kai! That last photo is particularly stunning.
  • She is beautiful. Beautiful face and coloring