Learned something new about the Kai Ken today!

edited October 2011 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
A gentlemen at the wool festival informed Jen and I, very assertively, that "Kai Ken are the dogs in Japan that only eat vegetables."

I had no idea! Here I was thinking they were like every other dog, but they're not - they're vegetarians! Dude blew my mind. LOL

( No, Kai Ken are not vegetarians, this gentleman was incorrect. )

----

Comments

• I hope they dont mind cheap vegetables. I cant afford artichokes everyday!
  • That is very odd indeed! *lol*
  • lol. is like the Dad with his daughter guessing what was Sushi's breed. He said long hair chihuahua, chow chow, pomeranian and husky. The little girl said Akita thou, at least they are related somehow.
  • Haha! Wow, I haven't heard that sort of thing before. Though I was asked if I feed Shiba my his native diet of rice and fish since he's a Japanese breed once.
  • Haha, try telling that to Kaiya. Girlfriend wont touch a vegetable, though she will do some fruit :)
  • guys Sushi seems to like carrots, maybe a little too much Oo
  • Juno (and Reilly) likes veg, and fruit too, but she is pretty nuts about her proteins!

Nobody believes me that Kai hunt boars and deer. People say "Sure, they hunt, like, rodents and stuff right?" I also get: "How cute! Now that's a miniature... what?" and "related to akitas? They're SO aggressive!" ugh.

When short on time I just describe her breed now as a versatile Japanese Mountain Dog.
  • I guess I've been keeping Kyuubi malnourished :(
  • I had to read that twice. I couldn't believe someone really thought that. Koda hates veggies! I guess he's not a Kai then. Maybe it's his American attitude. lol.

What an idiot. I love it when people tell me about Kais.

I just describe her breed now as a versatile Japanese Mountain Dog
    This is exactly how I put it. They are Japanese Mountain Dogs.

I don't mind people asking me questions, and I have learned that there are some pretty great people out there who are genuinely interested in Koda and Mei. I have also learned that there are people out there who want to educate me on a dog I live with.

I had one guy compare Kais temperments to a Golden Retriever. I was like wtf? Really? ha ha
  • XD people can be... so funny sometimes !!! Vegetarian dog's... XD

This make me remember peoples who says to me that Eïden, my dog, is "with no doubt", albinos...
  • All of my dogs have enjoyed some veggies and fruits, but both of my wire fox terriers loved to eat even grapefruit (peel & munch) with me.
  • Grapefruit???? That's crazy! Those fox terriers! *lol*
  • Hilo LOVES orange peels. More than once I have looked down at him while on walks and he will have found an orange rind and will be chewing it like it is a piece of gum. He drops it if we ask him to. But it is so strange. I was always under the impression that in general dogs dislike citrus.
  • edited October 2011
    @JessicaRabbit - Well, Hilo's not a dog, so that may be where the confusion is. He's a Bearcow, silly.
  • *lol* That's pretty funny about Hilo!
  • its funny when you mention Kai Ken, all of a sudden everyone knows what they are and all about them :)