Puppy food

Hello, looong time I dont get in here, I hope everyone is doing ok.

Yeah well a few days ago we got a beautiful male shiba inu, his name is Sushi. I've been feeding him Natural Balance Alpha Dog Grain Free Ocean Formula. He was on a Lamb kibble diet, before we got him but I read Lamb creates gasses on some dogs. He seems like he doesn't enjoy the food that much, he eats just a little bit and stops, sometimes he put it in his mouth like tasting it and he spits it out, he actually loves my other dog food meat and chicken kibble, but its adult dog food. The idea of the ocean formula was because I wanted him to have a healthy fur and skin.

I was thinking on feeding him Orijen but the protein levels were too high, I had read plenty of reviews and most people agrees with that.

I was thinking of getting Acana grain free or other Natural Balance flavor.

What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• Ugh my Kai was the pickiest puppy. Looking back on it, I fed into his pickiness too much, and he became a total butt about eating. He would chose not to eat for a couple days until I would switch up food/flavors.

I would just give him the rest of the bag before doing anything different. He will eat eventually. Just put the food down in the morning, if he doesn't eat it in 15 minutes, put it down again in the evening. He will eat it eventually.

If you want to give him Omega 3 fish oils to supplement another non fish product you can. There's Grizzly Salmon Oil in the bottle. I give fish oil capsules, human grade, to my Kai. I just pop one and spray it into his food.
  • my concern is that he is only 2 months.
  • What? Ivan! You came back! Welcome!
  • hehe. Hello Brad?

Thank you

How have you been?!

Long time, I've been very busy, maybe too much.
  • I think Acana is a good choice. =) I feed Acana sometimes to my dogs and they love it (they love almost everything though!). When my shiba was a puppy she got Wellness puppy as a kibble, only one bag of it though. She seemed to enjoy it and the kibble actually smells pretty good compared to other kibbles :X

Another good brand to check out is Great Life.
  • edited September 2011
    how do i post pictures of sushi?
  • I feed the Orijen, what we do to offset the high protein is we had cooked chickpeas. The dogs love it, and it works so well!
  • Welcome back! Even though I don't know you...

I switched my Shiba to Orijen when I got him (he was four months old) but he didn't fare so well on it. Constant itching, fur loss, poop problems, immensely picky, would never finish a meal... I just don't think it was a good fit for him and I've since discovered he has issues with cooked chicken and potatoes in large quantities, which Orijen's puppy formula has lots of. (He eats raw food now.)
    If your new Shiba doesn't have any sensitivities to that stuff, Orijen should be fine. I'd probably go with Acana though, just my personal opinion on that one.
    I'm not really a fan of NB but if it works for your pup, that's perfectly fine.

My other two dogs eat Taste of the Wild which does have a couple ALS formulas but Acana is a good brand so if you can find that and your Shiba does fine on it, go with it.
  • Bella my parent's boxer eats wellness core it's adult kibble and she rotates wellness core ocean with the different Totw formula Bella didn't have any gas or anything.

Did your dog do fine on the lamb kibble no gas? Some dogs do fine on it. If your worried about fur adding salmon oil to kibble is good for that and it's fresher. I used to give grizzly salmon oil kind.

Saya eats the Totw lamb as treats with no issue. She is raw fed so she only gets kibble for training.

• I ended up getting Acana, he likes it better than NB.

He seems he likes it better, I guess he's not a strong fish flavor kind of guy.

Thank you all
  • @ivanmeza03 - Get Sushi some sardines... I bet that will change his mind of the strong fish flavour. :)

But glad you found something that he likes!
  • hahahaa no doubt!

I think his shiba-all-knowing-mind knows that fish is better fresh and not in dehydrated kibble form
  • I'm a total proponent of Great Life! While also acknowledging that there are many good foods out there nowadays.

Here's just one partial review, but it gives a good background to Great Life
    GREAT LIFE DOG FOOD
    Great Life brand dog food is manufactured by Doctor’s Finest Inc. Doctor’s Finest ships all of their products out of Southern California, and advertises all of their products as being made in the USA. Doctor’s Finest was first founded in 1996. The spokesperson for Doctor’s Finest is Dr. Elliott Harvey, who was featured on a show on Animal Planet. Dr. Harvey has also won the award for “Best Products Award” from Animal Wellness Magazine. None of Great Life’s dog food formulas have ever been involved in any pet food recalls.

GREAT LIFE DOG FOOD REVIEW
    Great Life’s dog food formulas contain a unique freeze dried raw food nutrition complex, which is saturated throughout the dry kibble. All of Great Life’s formulas use meat that is free of artificial hormones and antibiotics. They also market their formulas as being made with only premium human-grade ingredients. In addition to this, Great Life also states that their formulas are low-glycemic, and retain “full active nutrition” after being baked.

It's a freeze dried food. Here are the ingredients.

Buffalo, Tapioca, Jicama, Freeze Dried Buffalo, Freeze Dried Buffalo Liver, Freeze Dried Pumpkin, Freeze Dried Squash, Freeze Dried Parsley, Freeze Dried Papaya, Freeze Dried Chia Seed, Freeze Dried Kale Sprouts, Freeze Dried Broccoli Sprouts, Freeze Dried Barely Sprouts, Inulin, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Yams, Blueberries, Cranberries, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Enzymes:(Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Pectinase, Lipase, Phytase, Xylanese, Hemicellulase, Alpha-galactosidase, Invertase), Probiotics:(Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bacillus Subtillus Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Wild Salmon Oil, Vitamins (Lecithin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamone Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), DL-Methionine, Minerals (Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acids Chelate, Manganese Amino Acids Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acids Chelate).
  • Ok so here is my experience, since the change, Sushi has been eating Acana ranchlands and grasslands, both with Lamb meat. He went from not having any gases to totally farting every now and then, at least I know he is not keeping those gases inside him. He definitely likes those flavors that the fish/chicken ones
  • I think lamb is a common offender with that. Conker farts up a storm after having lamb.
  • I heard Taste of the wild is very good. Some of our past JA puppies eat it and thrive on it. I cannot offer a personal experience with it, though, we feed raw.