Are Shikoku females same sex aggressive?

I was just wondering if Shikoku females are same sex aggressive like shibas? Bea is shiba-same-sex aggressive if she is on leash and they start barking at her.

Comments

• My female shikoku is best friends with my female pit bull. That said my shikoku doesn't like other dogs in general. She loves my pit bull and my akita, but wants nothing to do with other dogs. But it is not limited to any one gender.

Additionally, my shiba, had no issues with dogs of the same sex.
  • edited September 2011
    Mei is a Kai and she's not too fond of other females, especially if one challenges her. She doesn't start arguments, but she can finish them if she needs to. She likes females who are close friends, but actually can't stand my friend's female Shiba, Bella. But the Shiba started it. I have another friend with a female Shiba, Shasta, and they get along great!

It's kind've difficult to say whether or not a dog will be same sex aggressive. It's up to chance if you ask me.
  • @tjbart17--actually can't stand my friend's female Shiba. But the Shiba started it.

Hahaa...that seems to be the same as Bea (shiba). The breeder told us she is same sex aggressive (we got her when she was older, 7) but she is ok with other female dogs unless they bark at her or don't let her sniff them. She gets along with boy dogs just fine...
  • edited September 2011
    ha ha ha ha in Bella's defense I should say that her and Koda, my male, are only 4 days apart and grew up together. Koda was 11 months old when Mei came along from the rescue. Bella and Koda had always shared everything at my house: raw bones, toys, treats, bullysticks. They've just switched between eachother's.

Bella tried that with Mei one day. This was no bueno!!! Poor Bella, Mei has held it over her ever since.
  • @tjbart17---heehee that is pretty funny, poor bella.

Anyhow the reason why I ask is because I am planning on getting a shikoku and I was thinking if it would be better for Bea to assimilate with a female puppy than an older female.
  • @ttddinh I've been actually contemplating it too. Mei lives with my parents now, but she's still a big part of my life. I think Koda would like just another dog in the house, but I'm not sure if Mei would like a girl. But then again she could love one if they grew up with her. And Koda loves kissing girl dogs. I wish I could answer your question. Hopefully I'll figure out the answer to mine soon.

If your Shiba does have problems with females, then I would probably get a male.
  • We have 3 female Shikoku who get along fine.

----
  • @ttddinh - Just an FYI, not all Shibas are same sex aggressive. It all depends on genetics, personality, and socialization.
  • My female shikoku is like Jessica's in that she doesn't really like new dogs initially, especially when they get in her face. She has never met another female shikoku, so I don't know about that. And to her it doesn't matter the sex. She is fine with other dogs in training sessions though, as long as they ignore her and don't get right in her face, she is fine. She is fine with them being very close to her too -- within a foot or less -- just doesn't like them sniffing her in the face.

My male shikoku is easier with all dogs, just last night he was on a long down stay (I was across the room) at dog training and a lady walked by with her dog and they sniffed noses and Kuma didn't move a bit (good dog!) or seem to mind the dog sniffing him while he was on his down stay (so the dog was standing and above him).
  • Miyu does not do well with strange dogs bigger than her, but does great with those that are smaller than her of either sex. She also does well with dogs of both sex that she knows, though at times she can be a bit rude.
  • Kurenai does fine with dogs of either sex and she greets quite well. However, if she insomuch as smells the smallest amount of high energy level or even gives any indication it will want to play, a switch goes off in her head and her moves get really jerky (still, then sudden movement, still, then sudden movement). And having a 35+ lbs. Shikoku playing with lil 8lbs dogs is something I have to constantly watch out for. She just isn't that graceful or aware of her body. A hip check or a shoulder bump to a Bichon Frise will send it flying.

Jesse
  • @CrimsonO2 -- how funny, yes a hip check would send a small dog flying :-)
  • edited September 2011
    When Ahi and Loa were younger they were reactive when meeting strange dogs, but as they matured they have calmed down a lot with it. They generally aren't a problem now. But, you know, our dogs get a lot of dog-dog socialization.

I expect Cho Cho will follow the same trend.

----
  • Rakka was a terror when we got her. She took FOREVER to get along with my other dogs, but they were both male, so it had nothing to do with same sex aggression. She has mellowed out and now she's fine with most dogs. She's tense around dogs she doesn't know, and handling her around strange dogs requires care and attention. She's really rough, and not a good companion for a sensitive or delicate dog. At all. I mean, her and Sosuke will grab onto each others' neck skin and shake as hard as they can. If you break them up, though, they're all smiles; they just love that rough play. She doesn't always know when to tone it down, either. If another dog is giving cues that she's being too over-the-top, she will often ignore them and keep playing rough.

So, basically, I'd say that shikoku tend to have problems with sensitive dogs and take some time to be comfortable with new dogs. Same sex aggression... I haven't experienced any.
  • Yea, thanks everyone. I got Bea from a breeder when she was 7. She was scared of everything outside (prob because she was in a kennel her whole life), i.e. driving cars, bicyclists, etc. I take her to go running often and expose her to a lot of different environments so now she is use it. However, one day, when we went running, the neighbor's chihuahua was in front of the house, off leash, and when we ran by, she proceeded to attack Bea from behind (she was small so she got under Bea and bit her from the bottom) (I didn't even notice the chihuahua until it attacked). Needless to say, ever since then, she HATES small, yappy dogs. Also, her breeder had mentioned that she, "like all Shibas," are same sex aggressive...but she gets along with dogs at the dog park...so I don't know.
  • @hondru - Kuma and Sachi are like Rakka and Sosuke, they also will grab and pull the neck skin as hard as they can, shaking the other dog back and forth, all the time.
  • @hondra and edgewood, do they have good bite inhibition or do you see bite marks since they "grab and pull the neck skin as hard as they can..."
  • edited September 2011
    @ttddinh - well, I never have seen bite marks and both dogs seem to enjoy the game, so I would think that they have good bite inhibition. At least for play with each other. But other breeds of dogs might not feel the same way....

Sachi is doing it a bit in this video -- but this is pretty sedate, sometimes they really grab on and shake like the dickens. But none of my videos has that on it, so you have to take my word for it. They sometimes drag each other around too by the neck skin. Both dish it out and both take it too.

• @edgewood, nice video! Thanks for posting!
  • Matsuhime has two completely different behaviors depending on where it is.
    My female Akita with the house, she's the leader.
    But outside for a walk, even with unknown females, she's sweet and playful, sometimes completely indifferent, but no aggressive.