Any suggestions for a cheap probiotic for our dogs?

We want to get back to giving the dogs a probiotic, we used to give them one but ran out and then never got back to it. We have a lot of dogs tho, and some are very large, so I'd like to do it as inexpensive as possible, but without "cheaping out" and getting something that sucks.

We've been giving the yogurt, but I dunno if it's really giving them all the probiotics they need.

Anyone have a brand suggestion? Or an alternative? I was thinking about maybe incorporating tripe in to their diet, would that be enough with the yogurt?

Currently they get a premium food with some fish & coconut oil added. Plus the plain yogurt.

Thoughts?

----

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I use Lactinex for Koda and myself. For as many dogs as you have that might get expensive.
  • Hmm, well, the only one I've used that I've gotten noticeable changes was Ark Natural's Gentle Digest. It tends to be a bit on the spendy side though, something like $10-13 per 60 count bottle. I've seen it for much cheaper online though.
    Currently I just use a grocery store brand for people, but it's not as good as the other one.

I imagine tripe would help, but I've never tried it since I can't find it here. I've never gotten good results with yogurt, it doesn't do anything with Conker and if I give him too much... Yeah. I have used chicory root and noticed an increase in digestion when I give Conker certain foods. A prebiotic like that might be good.
  • I have tried plain yogurt, Greek Yogurt (Fage, costco sells them). Bea loves the greek yogurt! When I was fostering, I gave Zeus these probiotics and drops...you can check them out here....

http://rescuingshibas.blogspot.com/2011/08/experimental-outline.html

• I would suggest the plain greek yogurt at Costco as well. They sell it by the gallon...

Jesse
  • I give yogurt, sometimes tripe, but lately I've been using Nupro as an overall supplement.
  • Tripe is a staple of our rotation. for least stink and most tolerable consistency, I like Tripett, any flavor. I split a can between all three a couple times a week. I dont think they need tons of it to make a difference!
  • edited September 2011
    This is the one we give. One capsule per dog, and per person. We see a big difference in the whole family.
    http://www.jarrow.com/product/535/Jarro_Dophilus_Allergen_Free
  • I gave Tripe to Saya when I got my first hare today order, it it was only 1 or2lb of it I forgot didn't want to buy 5lb and it stink horribly..

I found the raw tripe smelly, but not too bad like a cow barn or something..

Since Mypetcarnivore is based in Indianapolis I plan to just make my next order there and get a bunch different tripe they got beef, lamb and I think bison..

I dunno if it helped I just fed it once a week in 1oz since I didn't have much, but man does the dogs love it Saya and Bella thought it was the best thing in the world! lol

I dunno when I'll be getting another order Saya's side of the freezer is still full she and Bella needs to eat up the food.. lol

Not sure on cheap probiotics sorry. I know some people use human grade kind for dogs not sure how much they'd need for each weight sorry.

Saya loves plain greek yogurt she gets couple spoonfuls two to three days a week to mix her cranimal very berry.
  • Such a variety of answers, might as well add mine to the mix.

My understanding is that one takes (or gives) an 'intro' dose of good quality pro-biotic for a couple of weeks to efficiently build up the colony of helpful bacteria then one goes to a 'maintenance dose'. Perhaps yogurt would provide a good maintenance dose. The larger doses can be reintroduced during times that might undermine the colony (illness, stress, etc).

Have not read this linked to pro-biotic usage per se, but a mother introduces her biotic colony to her newborn via nursing and snuggles (likely dad too when he is closely involved) so pregnancy or immediately following might also be a good time to give pro-biotics. I can't imagine it would cause harm, but I don't KNOW that, maybe pre-pregnancy preparation would be better.
  • @jujee Oh Julie I still have to check out Nupro for Koda's coat. Thanks for reminding me. Poor dog is on so many supplements. I think I'm trying to pickle him.

I also give Trip and yogurt, but I don't know. I am not sure it's enough. Tripe would have more than yogurt I would think. Maybe I should look into that.
  • I had to stop giving yogurt because two thirds of my dogs are now dairy allergic. Sigh. I am convinced I have most delicate dogs in the world.
  • I would get a horse product for your gaggle of dogs - it will give you the most bang for your buck.

There are many options. Here's a popular one over at SmartPak
    ProBios: available in 25 lb buckets for $122.00
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/probios-powder-5168p.aspx?cm_vc=Search
  • @brada1878 Is there a specific reason why you're thinking about pro-biotics? I have to give Koda them because the NSAID's mess up his stomach.
  • Thanks all for the info! I didn't expect so many options!

@tjbart17 - We have a few different reasons for needing/wanting to add a probiotic & prebiotic to our dog's diets...

Some of them like to eat poo, which makes us worry that they're not digesting/absorbing their food as efficiently as they should. We've tried several foods, but none of them seem to help with the poo eating. Also, a few of them are kinda crazy about eating grass (if they can find it). Then, our mastiffs have gas sometimes. And we think it's a good thing for them to have anyway. Kaia has had some GI issues as of late too, so we are hoping that a probiotic might help her too (he blood work came back clean).

I was thinking tripe might help with the grass eating. Maybe the poo eating too. We've had them tested to be sure these behaviors aren't a health concern, and they all check out fine (all healthy)... So, now we are just trying to figure out what they might be missing, or if it's just a learned behavior.

Also, we always have a seasonal GI issue here, it goes along with litters too. Just before the pups are born and just after several of the dogs will get sick. Also, they start eating poo more then too. So, we're looking for a long-term solution that might help reduce this cycle. We deworm them every 6 months, which typically goes along with breeding times too... So it's hard to say it's related to the new pups arrival, it could just simply be time for another deworming, or it could be the season change brings out lots of smaller critters and new vegetation that the dogs eat - and that upsets their GI - and so they eat more grass/poo due to that.

I'm a freak about picking up dog poo, I go out and pick up dog poo several times a day. So we manage it fine, but I'm just more worried about WHY they are eating it - and hoping a probiotic & prebiotic might help.

----
  • @brada1878 Poo eating sounds like allergies to me. Dog's stomaches get all bound up with allergies.

Koda gets Tripe once a week and yogurt three times per week on his food. He's always had that, but with GI issues it didn't work. He started on the Lactinex as a prescription when he had the Rimadyl issue and we kept him on it through the surgery time, but he's done so well on Tramadal, Metacam, and Rimadyl as needed since he started on the Lactinex. It's been amazing!!!

If you get a human prescription for your dog it's covered under the discounted prescriptions program from the govt. I pick up Lactinex for $1 at Target for Koda. Maybe you could get a prescription for at least Kaia and whoever is eating poop.
  • We do probiotics to deal with Ruby's allergies and the difference is dramatic. Dogs with bad allergies tend to also be very yeasty.
    We discovered that we have to do non dairy probiotics because the dairy in most probiotics cancels out the benefits for her.
  • There's milk, whey and soy in lactinex. I just read the packet. ;-)
  • Kodi isn't allergic to dairy though. Ruby and Miko both are (much to their chagrin) and Hilo's butt isn't too fond of the dairy even if his mouth is.
    *sidenote* really few things funnier than a dog startled by his own farts.
  • Jess, that just made my afternoon. Thank you.
  • ha ha ha ha! That's great!
  • Too funny. :) But it is definitely true.
  • I've found yogurt tends to upset our dog's tummies rather than help. Powered pro biotics (reconstituted in water) seem to do the trick without the icky bellies. It's slightly more expensive though...