Photo Fail but got to meet Chibi!

edited September 2011 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
I just had to brag that I got to meet Chibi over the weekend. I went to visit my parents for the long weekend with Kaiya and we met up with Peggy to go for a hike. She brought Chibi! I couldn't believe how small she was and she was so fluffy! You would never have guessed she and Kaiya were the same breed! Chibi was a sweet girl and is doing well!
We went to a beautiful park with a castle and the dogs got a good romp. I failed and forgot my camera on this trip though. Hopefully when we head back for the holidays, we'll get to meet up again and I'll remember the camera.

Comments

• Yes, fail. :-P Sounds like a fun outing though. :-)
  • I wish the forum had a photo album of the dogs we talk about. But I searched the forums and finally found a photo of the pretty girl.

So Chiba stayed with Peggy after all - lovely! How has maturity influenced her reactivness (at least this is how I interpreted the comments - she otherwise seemed like a fine companion)?

Predicting the adult when choosing a young puppy is always interesting, and 20/20 vision look back informs this skill.
  • ^^ A family tree would be totally helpful too! I always get confused when I try to remember all the siblings of particular litters.

Chibi is an adorable kai.
  • She isnt at outgoing as Kaiya who seems to love any human that will look at her, but I have to imagine that she has improved greatly. She goes everywhere with Peggy. While Chibi didnt run right up to us, she didnt shy away either. She let us pet her, but it probably wasnt her favorite part of the outting :P
  • Poor little Chibi. I tortured her and picked her up when I saw her as a puppy. She was such a cute little girl. I just wanted to cuddle with her.

I don't think I would've labeled her reactive. She was shy. But I think there are way more shy Kais out there than her. Mei is like that with new people.
  • Chibi was one of the pups I brought back from Japan with me. She came over with Ayu, Tora, and Nio. Chibi is from a line-breeding off of Nio's sire (Kishin). Kishin was a VERY popular stud over there - he was 8 when he produced Nio.

@jan3t - Here at our place Chibi was kinda skittish, but a lot of that can have to do with our environment. We have a very stimulating environment here, not only can you basically see all the way to Colorado, and the weather changes constantly, but we have wild animals and tons of dogs too (and now a loud Chase monster). Some dogs just do not cope well with the stress of all the stimuli we have in our environment, and I think Chibi was one of them (there have been others).

Chibi is doing GREAT with Peggy. Peggy thought we were nuts when she met Chibi as she had no skittish-like behaviors with her. So, I think placing her with Peggy was the right choice. I can't wait to see what Tora and her produce!

Yea, Chibi is a tiny little thing.

----
  • @brittk - That's great you got to meet her. How did she do with Kaiya? She's a tiny little Kai, huh? So cute!

----
  • Lucky you! Always remember to bring a camera! :) lol! We demand pics all the time! ;P

@brada1878 will Tora x Chibi litter be registered KKA?
  • Awesome! :)

But definite fail on the photos! Haha.
  • Lol that's so cool. We need some updated pictures of Chibi
  • @brada1878 Chibi was great with Kaiya. I think they would be life long friends if Kaiya had stayed with Peggy (though I'm glad she is with me :P) We also ran into a couple of Sharpei on our walk and she was pretty good with greeting them as well. And I just couldn't believe how small she was! Kaiya is only about 28 pounds, and Chibi looked like a little dwarf next to her :) I loved her though and wouldn't mind one of her pups, or really any second kai...I think I've got the bug!
  • @brada1878 I almost always have a multidog household. One carefully chosen puppy who - sweet as she was - was unhappy not having her very own person. It took me years to find the right home (pre-computer days), but it was wonderful when I did. She was soooo happy, and 20 years later, the family still talks about her. Sometimes, even with the best of planning, its not a good fit. This is why I am waiting to bring a special puppy to my home - until I have the flexibility and time to be what I need to be and give what I need to give. Its coming!

It sounds like happily ever after for Chiba, Kaiya, brittk, and Peggy!
  • I remember little Miss Chibi. She did seem a bit insecure but very sweet! I'm so happy that she is thriving well at Peggy's. The most recent photo I saw of her...WOW! She is simply a gorgeous little girl.

That's awesome you got to go hiking with her and Peggy.
  • I also met Chibi and Tora and they both were very nice dogs. Chibi was not really all that shy with me either. I hung out with the both of them, Peggy, Bob and my dog Kuma for about 4 hours. They all did fine with each other (we were at a dog show, so there was no playing, just standing around outside the ring). Chibi is small for sure!
  • I met Chibi a couple of times... She was soo sweet. I am not is sure she is any smaller than Shima though. I didn't realize how much littler Shima was until recently seeing her against some of the pups.
    Peggy how small is Chibi in comparison to Shuii?