Akashima pups summer 2011

hey everyone, i went to visit akashima once again and this time it was to take a look at the recent yamato and kimi litter. there were five males in total and i had to decide on one of them or pass and wait for another litter. the pups were great, they were pretty tired by the time i got there but it was nice to be able to see and interact with them. well, long story short, they were all beautiful dogs and i ended up choosing one and ill be able to take him home in a couple weeks.

anyways here are some pics of these lil guys!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Comments

• Yay shikoku pics! :D How I've missed seeing pics of shikoku pups

I've got to say, those are some pretty dark akagoma pups, especially the one in the second to last picture. A couple of those pups could end up being kurogoma :)
  • aww, look at that pink tongue! Happy for you Terence! Do you have name picked out?
  • Very cute! Shikoku puppies are really adorable!
  • i havent picked out a name yet but i do have some in mind. theres one name ive been wanting to choose even before i put down the deposit in 2008 but it doesnt really fit the dog (due to color) and the name may be used a lot now due to a certain HBO series (excellent show) that aired a few months ago.
    the pups were all quite dark and may actually be registered as black sesame now.

the first 6 indoor pics are of the pup that i chose and the rest are just random pics taken of the litter during the visit.
    i noticed a bird-like pattern on my pups chest, its kinda neat actually. anyone know if that will remain there or will it change and go away?
  • chest pattern isn't going to change much, if at all.

Jesse
  • edited August 2011
    Cute pups.

Saya's chest pattern didn't change much from a pup to adult, but she's a shiba inu.

I don't think the chest should chance too much..
  • I'm going to bet that the pups will turn out like Yamato (Ay/at) or ChoCho (Ay/ag) since they don't have eye rings. Still red sesame. :-)
  • @ayk - Idk, ChoCho didn't look as dark as some of these pups in her puppy pics. I think they'll turn out a bit darker, maybe look more like Miyu and ChoCho's brothers, wo look closer to sesame than red sesame. Kimi is also a dark girl, so I wouldn't be surprised if most of these boys were dark.
  • aykayk
    edited August 2011
    Here's my train of thought on the coloring. Based on the Miyu/Chocho/Mason litter, we know for sure that Yamato (sire) and Suki (dam) were carriers of black/tan.

Yamato in this picture doesn't have black coloring going strongly down his snout or around his eyes. (Edit: also black doesn't go down the forearms very far.) That's usually more indicative of Ay in effect. "Sable" vs. "agouti." Ay/at.

Suki does clearly have the black going down around her eyes and down her snout. So there must be ag in effect. ag/at. Genetically should be a black sesame but didn't end up as dark as say Ahi.

My guess is that Cho Cho ended up inheriting Ay from Yamato and at from Suki, so she'll be Ay/at like her dad.

Miyu inherited at from each parent and she's black/tan so she's definately at/at.

With Mason, it's possible that he inherited at from Yamato and ag from Suki (genetically a black sesame) or Ay from Yamato and ag from Suki (?).

With this Akashima litter, I'm not sure if Kimi has produced a black/tan before? I did a brief search for her on this forum to see if there's a good picture of her but didn't find it.
  • I think Kimi has produced at least one black/tan, as well as several darker sesame pups. Kris' (Edgewood) Sachi, Jessika's (november rain) InuYasha are both Kimi pups.

Here's an album containing Sachi and InuYasha puppy pics, as well as puppy pics of Yamato:
    http://the-november-rain.smugmug.com/gallery/16508179_ujcyb/1242585681_mmpTU

You can see how red he is compared to those pups, who to me look closer to the coloring of these pups than Yamato's puppy pics.

The only Kimi pic I can find right now is the one posted on Katja's website:
    http://www.akashima.bc.ca/shikoku-dogs.htm
  • This is Kimi:

I thought there were a few other pictures, but I can't seem to find them.
  • A Kimi/Kuma litter produced a black and tan.
  • time will tell how these pups turn out, ill try to keep posting pics so that you can all observe the changes. i hope they turn out darker and less red than yamato and look closer to their kimi's colouring. as calia said, yamato looks very light/red coloured in his pup pics while these guys are quite dark and have so much more black on them. perhaps thats a good indicator of how they will turn out? katja also mentioned that she thinks that the colours will look like yana and yuki from her kennel.

either way they will all be grow up to be nice dogs!
  • Cho has a lot of "goma" action in her akagoma coat...

Cho Cho

----
  • I *think* Kimi has a B&T sibling too.
  • Wow those puppy pics are so adorable. Are shikoku puppies just as wild and crazy as Shiba's? What is the most common color in Shikoku dogs?
  • I have heard that Shikoku puppies are worse than Shiba pups. They are a real handful. I'm sure some owners will give their accounts.
  • Miyu has been more work than my husky and shiba combined, both breeds of which are known to be handfuls as puppies
  • Shikoku pups are drivey little monsters. Cute, but a lot of work!
  • edited August 2011
    Yes, they are terrorists, but with right upbringing turn out to be exceptional family members.
  • They have a strong determination, will, intelligence, and energy. A lot of training and activity helps refine it as they age.

Jesse
  • I always thought that the shibas were the biggest handful, but I never really had any problems with the shibas I've had.

In what more specific ways are the shikas worse?
  • edited August 2011
    First photo in this set is of Kimi -- you can see she is pretty dark. And you can see how Sachi changed color over the period of puppyhood. You can see that the sibling here was a black and tan.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1288326742489.40356.1659815966&l=a9062748b5&type=1

Now, I am going to disagree with Calia a bit -- I had Siberians exclusively until I bought my first shikoku 4 years ago. I would say that my shikoku puppies were similar or much easier than any of my siberian puppies. But my first siberian that I owned exclusively (ie, after I was an adult) fulfilled ALL the negative aspects that you often hear about siberians - stubborn, smart, escape artist, independent....and the list goes on. Whereas Calia has said several times that Tikaani does not always behave like the "typical" siberian (and Tikaani actually seems to like and excel at obedience -- my siberians were okay at it, sometimes excellent at it, but sometimes bad too -- it all depended on their mood and whether they felt competitive obedience was boring that day!)
  • @Edgewood -LoL, it's true that Tikaani is definitely not a typical husky. But it's amazing how much energy Miyu still has after an hour walk, an hour wrestling with Tikaani (and he's not gentle at all with her), and some tug with me when Tikaani tires out. She lay down for 10 minutes, get a drink of water and start bugging the boys to play. If they're not in the mood, she'll find something to do and that usually would involve dissecting toys or paper.
  • How old is cho in the photo Ann posted? Her paws look huge!
  • Katja has produced 3 Black & Tan Shiku pups to date (as of April 2011). 1 female puppy from a Mura x Ishi breeding. Then 2 male pups from an Aiko x Kuma breeding. Aiko is a Mura x Ishi daughter.

Based on that information, I'm almost certain that Shuran may also be a carrier of the B/T gene. As Shuran's father is a full brother to Uncle Ishi =].

Possible carrier ancestors would be Heiseimatsukage and Setome as they both show up in Mura's & Ishi's lineage. There aren't any matches in Kuma's lineage and I do not know Yamato's or Suki's pedigree. Further research into the dogs behind them is necessary. I can only "assume" they either or both have Heiseimatsukage as a possible common ancestor? Can anyone confirm or deny this presumption? @Calia , @brada1878

@jikjak - Awesome you got to visit the litter! And congrats on your hopeful upcoming pup. Keep the photos coming!
  • edited September 2011
    I feel like I'm missing a 4th B/T puppy but Katja only had mentioned 3 via an e-mail conversation. Hmm...

@the_november_rain - ...HAH! Re-read the thread =p. The Kimiko x Kuma breeding, lol. Kimi is a Mura x Mike daughter!
  • Corina -- there was a b/t puppy in Sachi's litter, which is Kimi x Kuma. You can see the puppy in the link I posted above.
  • Once I sort out the whole uploading pics to a third party site in order to post them here, I'll post some more pics of Kimi x Yamato pups - I went to pick my pup on Sunday just before Terence. Excited!
  • nice! i can't wait to see the pics.
    try using photobucket.com