The Girls: Juneau and Sasha
  • LosechLosech
    I have talked about but never shared pictures of the Girls, so here are a couple shots of Juneau and Sasha, my family's Border Collie/Labrador Retriever mixes.

Sasha on the left, Juneau the right.

Post edited by Losech at 2013-03-15 18:45:53
  • sunyatasunyata
    They are quite cute...

LMAO at Conker in the background!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Both Sasha and Juneau are adorable.

And you know, at first I didn't notice Conker in the background of the last picture until I read sunyata's comment. Shows how observant I am, eh?
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • NekopanNekopan
    Are they from the same litter? Very cute. I love BCs and BC mixes.
  • LosechLosech
    Yes they are from the same litter. There were nine of them and we couldn't pick just one, so we came back with two.
  • LosechLosech
    Sasha took and passed the AKC Canine Good Citizen test today! She did very well, her only problem was with the dog meet n' greet thing, she tried to sniff the other dog but I was able to stop her so it didn't count against her. I'm going to be sending in her paperwork for the CGC certificate so I'll have something fancy to stick on the wall. Might even buy her a CGC tag too... Just depends on how much I want to spend on her!
    I think this is a fitting end to reaching her weight goal of 50 pounds down from 70. She used to be quite a tubby girl.

Hopefully I'll be able to work with Juneau and even Conker to get their CGC's. That'd be neat!
    Post edited by Losech at 2011-09-17 19:35:26
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Congratulations on Sasha passing the test. :)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

• okironokiron
    Congratulations :)
    -Rina
    Post edited by okiron at 2011-09-17 20:12:08
  • AraksAraks
    Congrats, that's awesome! :D
  • jujeejujee
    Congrats! :) good girl Sasha!
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Congrats to Sasha...btw, Sasha's and Juneau's coat is amazing...it's sooo shiny and lustrous...
  • jan3tjan3t
    What great dogs - congratulations!
    Greetings from the 3rd sunniest city in the US
  • MirkaMMirkaM
    Congrats :)!
    Kai will lay down its life to protect its master.
    photo banneri_zpsc6e1d74e.jpg
    Kennel Gekkoo No: http://gekkoonoen.webs.com/index.htm
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment.
  • brittkbrittk
    Congratulations, Sasha! That must be a great feeling!
    Loving my Kai-ya :)
  • LosechLosech
    Sasha chipped a tooth on something, I think an old beef rib that was left in the yard about a week and a half into december. So far it hasn't bugged her at all and Mom doesn't think she needs to go to the vet (and hasn't, much to my annoyance) but it doesn't seem to have gone too deep. It kinda looks like the tip just, flaked off.

That's the chip on her left carnassial.

Here's a picture of a wolf skull (yes, I know wolves have bigger teeth) to compare.
    So, would you guys have this looked at? I'd really like to, and the Girls are due for a vet visit anyways, but I haven't been able to convince Mom to take her in yet despite e-mailing her much literature on the subject.
  • aykayk
    What does the literature say?

I don't get alarmed if the pulp isn't showing.
  • Lynx has worn down and chipped her teeth (yes, multiple!) too. It sucks but I wouldn't worry about it. It happens, unfortunely. =/
    www.airreyalis.com | Shikoku Ken image

Shoushuu | Kotomi | Shuran | Ayla | Kukku | Maika | Asra

Other Members of The Airreyalis Pack - Lynxiene (Belgian Malinois) | Keno & Missy (Alaskan Klee Kai)
  • LosechLosech
    Oh, just mainly things about the need to keep a dog's teeth clean, and get chips checked out by a vet just in case there's hidden damage. Mom says, "Dog's don't need their teeth looked after! They're dogs." And that sort of stuff ticks me off. I worked hard to get Juneau and Sasha's teeth to the state they are now (they were bad when I moved back in) and it's just obnoxious with how little Mom seems to care about how the teeth can affect the whole body if they are left to rot.
  • My only concern would be exposed pulp which it looks like would be pretty close on the break. If the tooth dies eventually it will have to be removed. However, dentistry is expensive so you really have to weigh treatment. Here's some info. that may help http://www.animaldentalcenter.com/html/vet-resource-frameset.html

(Last time I was in the clinic there was a police dog getting treated for trauma due to being smashed in the teeth by an assailant who was attempting to evade police. The dentist managed to fix the dog up pretty well. It is amazing what they can do now, but not cheap.

Snf
  • LosechLosech
    So, I check the Girls' teeth every couple days and now Juneau's got a busted tooth too! It's the same one as Sasha's, the upper left carnassial, but I can definitely see some pulp or whatever it is. A good chunk of the carnassial is gone, not like Sasha's where it was just a flaked tip. Mom is concerned now that both Sasha AND Juneau have broken teeth, especially since I know Juneau's is much worse than Sasha's and really needs to be looked at.
    I'm going to try to see if Mom can get them into the vet soon to have those looked at. It would really stink if Juneau's tooth got worse.
    I can't get a picture because Juneau doesn't like her mouth being messed with. She's not acting like it's any more sensitive than normal though.

And like last time, I have no idea what broke the tooth. They haven't been given anything hard lately and they don't go around munching on random things, so I'm kinda at a loss as to what caused it.
  • LosechLosech
    Alright, I was able to get this one terrible shot of the busted tooth.

Compared to Sasha's, this looks pretty bad.
  • Yep you can see the pulp : /. In the link above there is an educational resource section listed on the left of the frame.....it has some detailed info on fractures etc. For one of our dogs we had a fill and on the other we had the tooth pulled since we did not get to it in time.

Good luck....
    Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-01-01 22:08:45
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    Lost dog. Broken teeth. I leave the forum for two days Amd I get back to bad news.

I would take her in pronto. I'm sorry this is happening. Reminds me that I need to brush Kodas teeth tonight.
  • LosechLosech
    Yeah, I want to take her in real bad. You can see the pulp in two places and most of the external carnassial is gone. Mom is still iffy about it and if I have to, I will take her in myself. I can't exactly afford to do that but I'd rather have a big credit card bill and a healthy Juneau than a not healthy Juneau and no credit bill.
  • This is terrible! Tell us how it goes! Poor dogs though!
    Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • SayaSaya
    Sorry this happened again maybe they were bored while everyone was gone or something.. :\

Hope it's not too bad I been through dental stuff with our past dogs well my mom paid for it being as they were her dog, but still I knew it was a lot..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • LosechLosech
    We got the tooth looked at today. It's bad enough that we're just going to have it extracted, since doing a root canal and cap would mean we'd have to be referred and the only place around here who does those is in Ashland, which is an hour away, and we'd have to drive down several times if we did that.
    She's scheduled to have the tooth pulled on the 17th. Her teeth are going to be cleaned as well, and the cost is going to be something like $430-480.(They don't do the February dental discount, nobody around here does.) Not cheap, but oh well. Better fix it now than to let it abscess and cause further more serious problems.

Other than that, Juneau is in great health, heartworm free, didn't need to be vaxed and the vet said if she hadn't been given an age, she would have guessed Juneau was 2! She's 6, so the vet was quite happy with how good of shape Juneau is in.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-01-03 19:49:06
  • ttddinhttddinh
    That is great news!! :) (As in healthwise not money wise)
  • LosechLosech
    Random dump of Juneau and Sasha pictures!

Derp Dog in black and white.

Packdogs

Dur hur derp.

Sasha

This is how Juneau protects something she thinks is hers.

Juneau being cute.

Super cute Juneau again.

Juneau (and Conker) went lure coursing.

The Girls accompanied Conker and I to Bend last summer. We visited the Badlands.

Juneau carried the water. They drank all of it and I had to share mine with them.

Sasha a little over 1 year of starting her diet program. She lost 22 pounds! You can see a before picture right here.

This is just, odd, looking...

Sasha

I really like this one of Sasha and the sunset mountain.

Pinecones are fun...

These are hard to do...

Juneau is able to focus intently on everything except me.

She is usually out in front being spazzy.

Juneau is always on the lookout for squirrels. If she would bark when she treed one, she'd be an amazing squirrel dog. but she doesn't XP

Sasha is just Derp.

Juneau is a good packdog, if you don't care about your stuff getting smashed to bits.

Sasha is an excellent pace-setter for the first half of the hike, then she starts to lag and blocks the entire trail when she stops to sniff things.

There was an animal ahead someplace.

Sasha

Juneau

Obligatory

Group photo on the bench!

Dogs eating the Baby Beef.

Sasha eats Baby Beef like a wolf. She stands on it and used her entire body to rip it apart.

Juneau has horrid leash manners. Sometimes I take her on a solo-hike so I can work on them with her. She gets off-leash time for behaving nicely on-leash. This works really good for her, since she loves to romp around in the forest.

Juneau thought this was awesome.

Juneau had never played tug before I taught her how last month after reading The Culture Clash. She loves it!

The end. Or is it?
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pictures. Eating the beef is neat.

Saya never uses her paws on items except for beef rib she'll use the paws to get every last bit of meat off the rib.
    Photobucket
  • LosechLosech
    Oh, Conker is a little prissy dog when it comes to using his feet. NO WAY that is happening with raw meat! He'll dance around and avoid letting it touch his feet while he eats. If it's some sort of chew then yes, he'll use his feet, but not if there's meat!

Sasha doesn't care about being neat. She'd eat her food then come in without licking her paws clean and track raw meat bits into the house...
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-03-15 19:12:08
  • LosechLosech
    Today I got some leather gear I commissioned from @Sangmort!

Both collars are 1.25 inches wide and have small silver studs, colored stones, and reflectors. They are D-end style like working dog collars but have O's instead of D's.

Juneau's collar has red stones.

Sasha's collar has blue stones.

I also got two six foot leashes for them. I love this stuff!
  • LosechLosech
    I tested the reflectors on tonight's walk.

They work pretty well! Which is great for black dogs on nighttime walks.
  • ceziegcezieg
    They look awesome in their new collars! @Sangmort is really turning out some awesome stuff :) I really like the red on Juneau
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    Nice n bright! the Girls look great! I gotsta put up my Osy-made collars, too.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Those are some nice collars, and Juneau and Sasha are great models. :) Maybe once Meitou is grown I'll have to get him an Osy-made collar, too.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• SangmortSangmort
    I LOVE those girls! The reflector spots are uber cool, I'm so happy they work right! :)

Thank you for testing them out for me! :D ~
  • LosechLosech
    Juneau has been shedding a lot, so she's gotten a few more baths than normal to help the fur come off.

She always goes and rolls in the dirt when I'm done washing her.

Juneau

Sasha

Derp

Sasha sitting funny

Sasha enjoys a Baby Beef foot.

Juneau waits to be given permission to eat her foot. (She's strange like that.)

Sometimes this happens.

There were horses. Juneau will run after horses on the trails...

Sasha does this every time i stop on a hike.

I like this picture 'cause it shows Sasha's fit and trim shape.

And Juneau eating some chicken.
  • SangmortSangmort
    I love these girls :) ~
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I love Juneau and Sasha, too. They seem like a pair of fun dogs. :)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• LosechLosech
    It's been a while since I posted some pictures of my favorite mixes, so here are a few.

Arizona

Hiking in Arizona

Shiny

Northern Arizona

Somewhere near the Arizona/Utah border.

Sasha decided to be brindle for a day.

Mmmk a few more than a few and mostly Juneau.
  • SayaSaya
    Love the new Juneau and Sasha pics. :)
    Photobucket
  • tmdtmd
    Great pics! Love your updated signature pic too!
    - Hanzo (Kai Ken), Pharaoh (JA/AA tweenie), Meg (Border Collie/Lab mix)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion