Be careful what you wish for!

Not three weeks ago, we started buying the staples (lead, chew toys, bed) for the shikoku pup from Katja that we hoped to receive this coming spring. Not a week ago, we lamented the fact that if we got a pup this spring, Yamato would not be the sire.
The very next day, we got an e-mail from Katja.
Due to the size of the litter, and maybe more importantly, the fact that it was five male red sesame pups, we got the option of taking the last pup.
So, we hummed and hawwed about sticking to the plan or taking the wonderful opportunity that now seems fated. Be careful what you wish for! It caught us off guard, but it couldn't be more perfect. So, needless to say, we're getting a Yamato and Kimi pup this September!! :D
We have no idea how we got so lucky, and we're in a controlled-frenzy topping off the list to be prepared for our new pup. It's a good thing we started buying early. :) Got the vet and puppy classes already lined up, and 'good' list of puppy essentials (kongs etc) to get and puppy training protocals ready. It's amazing how a looming deadline gets your ass in gear.

We know it's all been said and asked before, but if anyone has any advice to offer, or a link to post which would be helpful, we would be very appreciative. We've scoured this forum for a while, but we know there's a lot of hidden gems we may not have come across.

We were just bursting to share this wonderful news and look forward to sharing our experiences on this forum.

Comments

• Congrats on the pup! I can't wait to see some Shikoku puppy spam.
  • Not much to say beyond Congratulations! I have a Yamato pup and she is absolutely amazing.
  • Congrats! Good news, and we'll look forward to puppy pics!
  • Congrats on the puppy! And yes, I can't wait for shikoku pics :)
  • Congrats! Cant wait to see pics.
  • Congrats! P
  • Wow, that's exciting news. You and your family must be really stoked!
  • Thanks to everyone for all of the congrats, this is certainly an exciting time. The next month is going to fly by (hopefully), while puppy proofing the house. It's certainly hard to wait, but the excitement that comes with knowing it's the time is amazing.
  • congratulations! i may be taking home one of your pup's brothers as well!
  • Yeah, we're eager to know who our pups brothers are going to be with! It's a neat and kind of eerie feeling. You'll have to post lotsa pics, Jikjak. We're really interested in seeing how they change considering how strikingly similar most of them are right now.
  • edited August 2011
    @Jikjak When are you going to see them, Jikjak? It must be a tough decision. We're kind of glad we get the last pup, no tough decisions. ;)
  • Congratulations!

I had that happen when I got my Kuma from Peggy. Called her the day a reserved spot from that litter had canceled and I got put in the list. His litter was large too (6 puppies). Sometimes things work out for a reason. :-)

I also have a half-sibling (daughter of Kimi by Katja's Kuma). Lovely, sweet dog. Good luck. Remember, shikoku are really energetic as puppies and may try your patience at times. But they are also smart and really want to please you -- so in the long run they are wonderful dogs!
  • Congrats on the upcoming new addition! :o) Be sure to share lots of pictures with us!

----
  • im going to go see them this coming sunday. im sure its going to be a tough choice but im looking forward to it.
  • Congrats! That is awesome that things worked out like that!
  • Congrats!!!! I can't wait to see puppy pictures!
  • Fuzzy potato fix!!! Must have itz!!

Jesse
  • I'm looking forward to puppy spam, too. ;)
  • Everyone here is going to get puppy-spammed out!! Trust us. ;)
  • You had better hah hah ;)
  • Congrats for the puppy !! I'm impatient to see the pictures !!!
  • I dont think that you can over puppy-spam :) Congrats on the new addition! Cant wait to see him
  • when do u guys plan to head over to pick up your pup?
  • We're picking him up on the 16th of September. (:
    Should be mid afternoonish if all goes according to plan.
  • edited September 2011
    nice, are u going all the way to akashima or meeting her at the nanaimo ferry?

i think katja is meeting someone at the ferry on that day.
    i might go on the 16th or perhaps earlier if possible.
    i believe they are ready to go after their vet appt on the 9th.
  • Yes, that is probably us Katja is meeting in Nanaimo on the 16th. Katja had mentioned in an e-mail that they would be ready on the 12th. If you are going to go on the 16th, maybe we could meet for lunch or something and then Katja could take the one trip to Nanaimo? But, if you want to get your pup sooner than that, we understand completely, of course. (:
  • theres another person she is meeting as well on the 16th. I'm trying to coordinate with him as well.
    shoot me an email with your travel plans and lets see if we can plan something.
    as far as i know, she is picking you guys up somewhere around 2pm and then the other person (and possibly me) around 245 when the ferry arrives.
    i think the next ferry back is at 315. I'm going to keep the 16th open so that ill be flexible and able to arrive earlier or leave later.
  • Congrats, what a wonderful surprise!
  • @BradnJess, @jikjak - I'm heading over to get my pup as well on the 16th as Katja said she was going to come down to meet someone who was arriving at the ferry terminal at 2pm (BradnJess?) - that way I don't need to take a vehicle cross. Would love to me up with you all and take the same ferry over! Terence, I got your email and will connect with you.
  • sounds good!