How often do the white/cream pop up?

I got thinking, is there some statistics that tells how often the cream/white pups pop up?
@thewalrus Shigeru, do you have an idea of how often they come along. Are there white pups born every year or is it like every second or third year?

I've seen a few in threads in here, and I've also seen that they pop up in shiba litters sometimes...

Comments

• In my opinion cream puppies aren't so common in litters. For example we haven't got any fawn Schipperke puppy and we have had 25 pups. Last year there was 155 Schipperke pups and zero fawn, in year 2009 160 pups and 0 fawn. And fawn genes are common in Schipps but there is so many thinks that interacts to pups phenotype.
  • It depends on the lines, some produce creams pretty regularly while others almost never produce them.
  • In the US we have some lines that throw creams. They aren't terribly common, but it happens. Did you want a cream puppy? A woman who lives an hour away from me in Sacramento, where it's 110 degrees, just got a cream a few months ago. She emailed me about it, and I thought a cream would be better in that weather. I feel sorry for Koda being black in heat. Not that I am promoting people intentionally breeding creams, but hey it happens. Sometimes you just don't realize that both dogs hold the gene.
  • Well Denmark can get hot in the summer, but it's not exactly tropical here ;)

Nah well, I have thought some about getting a cream kai, but I don't know. I kinda have to limit myself to max. 2 dogs, and I know I want a brindle kai, I would really like to show a bit, and the creams are not permitted. So if I ever got one, it would be to have a family member and training/hiking buddy... And company for my other dog.

I saw Shigeru had an "ad" for a cream pup at one point and I heard that the cream pups are less valuable in Japan and used to be PTS because of the color, and I'd take one without hesitation, to make sure it got a good life. And yeah, the lighter coat would be much better in the summer.

But my request was more because of curiosity. I don't know that much about dog color genetics, and I thought it would be fun to know more about the cream gene in the kais :)
  • Can't help you with concrete numbers really since a cream/white pup is a bit of an embarrassment to most breeders and not something they publicize. Out of the 5 breeders I'm closest too, and I've seen all their litters over the past 4 years, there's been one cream. I've seen or heard about 4 others over the same period. It does carry more in some lines I've heard.
  • @TheWalrus
    I know they are not supposed to be cream, I just can't help but like the creams! I've always loved variety, so I guess I'd not be so sad about another color to the breed, as long as the other characteristics are stille the same. Didn't you say some time ago, that the white/cream gene came from some ancestors of a specific line? If so, the white is a part of the kai, as old as the breed, and I don't get why it's so bad. But what do I know ;)

Somehow I'd like to take a cream off a japanese breeder's hands, I'd love a cream kai. But my problem is as always - no job ~ no money ~ no home! :(
  • I've got a 5 year old cream/white with red highlights Kai... And, from my assessment - and talking to other breeders (notably Kishu and Kai folks), the "white/cream" dogs tend to be more primitive. They may be a domestic dog, but they are not tame - it takes huge work to get them to come around to people in general. They are still wonderful pets, but don't expect them to warm up to strangers, they have heightened prey drive, and love to run off... No pain sensitivity (forget electric collars) and only positive reinforcement works at all. Primitive - to a fault.

Granted, this is a sample of one dog - but having raised Chows, Akitas, known many other Kais and now raising a white Kai, I can tell you they are unique among even the other Kais in terms of their temperament and behavior. I swear for the first year or two I didn't know how this dog would fit with an indoor lifestyle/family or live anywhere near roads/traffic. I love this dog now - at 5.5yrs - she's an amazing dog with our family & kids, but I wouldn't do it again. To this day, my dad who has lived with her for 6 months - and bribed her daily with food - is barely allowed to pat her, and then it's only on her terms. Aloof is an understatement.

Our Akita, on the other hand lives to love - strangers, family, friends, whoever - any person in her presence must devote their full attention to patting her.
  • The Kouyasu ken is said to have been a white kai, not sure how true it is but I have read it in books more then once and I think Shigeru mentioned it before.
  • @tim How old was your Kai when you adopted him/her?
  • @tjbart Soren was 15 weeks old when we got her - her breeder (Classy Kennels) had held her back, thinking she would be red... but decided she wasn't, and offered her to us (we lived in Michigan at the time).
  • I have a soft spot for creams as well. Maybe someday :)
  • @Tim could it be lack of socialization before 16 weeks old? I'm just curious. Every once in a while I'll get emails from people asking me about creams. I never know how to answer them. That's why I'm asking.

• She was pretty well socialized, she was "with" Marian, essentially all the time... same treatment (probably more favorable/affection) as other Kai's from her kennel. She was pretty friendly when we first met her. It's happened more over time - maybe peaking at about 3 or 4 years of age. We've got loads of friends who come over regularly. Over the years as each person "earns" a pat, it's a big deal! It's taken 1-2 years for her to show any affection to some friends.

I know - sounds terrible, like there must be some experience in the past to cause this, right? The first 12-15 weeks (I don't remember exactly at this point) is the only time she's not been with us, and honestly can't imagine a breeder - who was planning on keeping the dog as POTL - would do anything horrible. Plus, when we picked her up, she was warm and friendly with us - so the behavior developed as she matured. She's great with kids - all kids. But anybody over 15 or 16 years old she backs away from - especially men. No aggression, just complete avoidance for quite some time.

I think whatever genes trigger the white/cream also provide some "throwback" to temperament as well...
  • I have a friend that had a white shepherd and she was kind of the same way. Granted, they arent the best owners and didn't do a great job socializing, but this dog was VERY wary of strangers. She also didnt like kids i think because they were ar her level. I think that it has at least a little something to do with the recessive genes, because their "regular" shepherd was a typical shepherd and pretty friendly.
  • I have a male Kurotora Kai Ken (Kona) from Marian who acts similar to Soren. It could simply be a temperament trait that shows up in her line of dogs and unrelated to coloration.

I think you'd have to own several unrelated cream Kai and several unrelated standard Kai, keep them in the same environment, with the same husbandry (routine), for a long time before any temperament differences specific to their color could really be seen.

----
  • @bada1878 As I noted above, I'm working from a sample of 1. I'm sure that it's just as likely a trait that pops up in many primitive dogs from time to time - regardless of coat. However, there's some logic to the assumption that coloration may be tied to some additional "primitive traits" given other aspects.

Of course having multiple dogs and matching husbandry would help be more definite - but the history behind the dogs and other primitive breeds, and reasons why "white/cream" may have been considered "bad" originally in Japan do come to mind in pondering the behaviors. Could be that the temperament of creams was "known" to be of a less desirable nature?
  • I should note - that while I'm critical of my dog's temperament, she's not dangerous at all - and we love her dearly. She's an amazing companion for our family. I just feel that HER enjoyment and happiness is probably negatively impacted by her temperament. I'd love for her to be "happier" around strangers and non-pack members in general. She's got a decent circle of people (adults) she enjoys - probably 6-8 people she reacts positively to, and an unlimited number of kids who pat/love her which she enjoys. She sleeps on our beds: sometimes with us, sometimes with the kids, sits at the foot of the couch with us, etc. - she's a great dog who interact positively with her "pack," and I enjoy her tremendously - one of my favorite dogs ever.

But the aloof/skittish behavior when there are strangers is troublesome because it's such a severe reaction, and often won't be softened until she's met the person dozens of times - if even then. Just seems like an unpleasant way to live and any type of forced exposure (Pet stores, parks, etc. only makes her more jumpy). Maybe someday the Akita ("Ushi") will rub off on her and convince her that every new person is somebody to love and pat her!
  • I know - sounds terrible, like there must be some experience in the past to cause this, right?

@tim It definitely does not sound like something happened. I wouldn't think for one minute that Marian or you would do anything. I do think that this may be a line trait though and not a color trait. I have a Classy Kai near me, and he's the same way. Also a Kurotora like Brad's. It may be a US Kai trait a bit. It could be that the pups were born in a kennel situation. It could be a lot of things. I don't know, but I am not convinced it's a cream Kai trait based on meeting other Kais.

I would also like to say that my dog's parents are both Classy Kais. I have no issues with Classy Kais. He is only 2, so not yet at that 3-4 mark where you started seeing behavior changes. He's all in all pretty great, but every once in a while something in him snaps and he goes a bit wild/skiddish on people visiting. Even people he's known since he first came home as a pup. All in all, it's only happened a handful of times, and I am a very social person. I think our low occurrence rate is pretty good for a Kai. He was born in a home environment, with a family and children. This is my total bias opinion, but I prefer a Kai who is born in the home. It could make no difference at all in temperment, but somehow in my mind I've convinced myself that it does.

As far as cream being linked to a less desirable nature, not sure about that. Maybe! Could it also be that a cream would be more difficult to hunt in a group of dogs that could blend in better than it if they were red and black brindles? Would that be less desirable for a hunting dog?
  • Oops we cross posted. Your Kai sounds like the two Classy Kais I've met to a T. No different.
  • I have also Classy Kai who acts the same. But I really don't believe that the colour has something to do with temperament. I would go for the Classy lines.
  • Not sure if you just meant kais but if you look at other NK's like the hokkaido and kishu, many of the older hunting dogs were all none white dogs. The chitose line of hokkaido's were brindle or dark colored. They were famous bear dogs. The gunma and hosoda line kishu had really famous non white boar dogs. So I don't think the coat color would play into if a dog is more aggressive but that's just my opinion.
  • Well, it's worth noting the similar experiences with other Classy Kais, then... and glad to have the input. She's a great dog for *us* and that's ultimately what matters most.

Somewhat worrisome if it's a breeder's line that does this - really not a very desirable quality for a dog. Ironically, the other breeder in the area (Marsha who runs NAKA) had a number of dogs at the same time, and we found Marian's dogs much more friendly and social. We spent time with both, and preferred the Classy dogs - based solely on temperament of the pups and parents! They were all beautiful dogs, but Marian's were just nicer/more friendly!

Granted this is going back 6+ years to meeting them and seeing them - and little or no contact in between, so maybe things have changed.
  • I'm not convinced that it's a line thing either. I'm pretty undecisive on this. My Kai is essentially Classy lines. He's actually really outgoing for a Kai. I'm amazed. I think the difference was being born in a home environment. Who knows......

But then again this could also just be a Kai thing that happens. I do get what you mean though about wishing she could be comfortable in social settings and not stressed out.
  • edited August 2011
    @tim - I meant no disrespect by my comment. I just wanted to point out that the qualities you mentioned are probably more related to the blood-line and less to the color.

You also have to consider that it may not be specific to Classy's dogs and instead to the the dogs originally brought over to the US. Looking at it that way, it spreads the temperament traits mentioned above across all of the Kai Ken population in America since the majority stem from those original imports, therefore it's not limited to a specific US kennel.

If I compare the Kai I have met in the states to the Kai I met in Japan, on average, I noticed an improvement in temperament in the Japanese Kai, which I would guess is due to the larger population of Kai Ken over there. The Kai I met over there were more people-friendly and less shy.

Obviously this is anecdotal, and I have no real data to back it up, and even my house full of imports comes from a limited gene pool and so the qualities I see in my dogs may be specific to their lines and not to the Japanese population as a whole. But, it could suggest that the temperament qualities mentioned above are related to inbreed depression in America due to a rather closed Kai population here.

--

As for why the cream/white Kai Ken is not included in the standard in Japan, it's my opinion that it has less to do with any potential temperament traits and more to do with helping to clearly define the boundaries between each race (breed).

----
  • If I had to compare Mei and Koda to your dogs Brad. I would say that Mei is like Kumi and Ayu. She loves company, and doesn't mind climbing on them for attention once they are in her home for a bit, and if they invite her. Mei is not American bred. But I'm not sure her breeder was "reputable". I do not know him. Mei reminds me more of the first Kai I ever met who was brought over from Japan when her family relocated to the Bay Area.

Koda would be like Ritsu and Nio combined. He'd rather be with other dogs than humans who come into the home. That was my impression of Nio. He didn't show a lack of confidence, fear, or stress; he just had better things to do than to visit with humans. If there's a dog involved, Koda will ignore everyone and focus his attention on the dog and playing. He's also socially laid back and easy going like Ritsu seemed to be. Koda is confident in social settings. The only real fear he has is the vet and smoke.
  • timtim
    edited August 2011
    @brada1878 - not a bit of offense taken. I think it's an interesting question: blood line specific, or genetic. One that would be interesting to dig deeper into, if the animals are available (which I doubt there are - how many white/cream Kais are even in the US do you estimate? There's likely ever fewer - if any - in Japan, given they are supposed to be destroyed!).

Probably not enough dogs of this race (cream/white) to get a solid handle on anything specific or scientific... Guess my pup & her demeanor will just remain a mystery!
  • aykayk
    edited August 2011
    "I think whatever genes trigger the white/cream also provide some "throwback" to temperament as well..."

"I think that it has at least a little something to do with the recessive genes"

Strictly speaking, the recessive gene that causes white/cream in Kai and GSD is the same as in labradors and goldens.
  • @ayk That's interesting. So, what's your take based on that assessment?
  • aykayk
    edited August 2011
    It's not the individual color genes (e/e) that triggered your Soren's temperament. It's not causation in effect.

It's more likely that she inherited that temperament and it just happened that she also inherited the e/e.

There are dogs that a genetically shy (or primitive if that's a better descriptor) rather than environmentally shy. They are outgoing as a pup, socialized to the max by an experienced dog person, and then some time later turn into what they are.
  • Thanks for your insight. Seems pretty sound.