Hard poop

Hi everyone, my foster dog has hard poop. It seems like he constipated but he poops everyday at around the same time...except the poop is really hard, chalky almost. He drinks A LOT of water so that does not seem to be the problem. He also consumes green beans and tomatoes (regularly, other veggies (carrots, etc.) not on a regular basis). Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Add fish oil, and maybe some pumpkin or squash to give him a little more fiber.
  • What type of diet does he have, besides the veggies, before and during your care?
  • Hard and almost chalky does this dog eat kibble or raw? Only time I saw chalky poop was on Saya when she was new to raw when I was still learning the right about of bone to give her..

Is it chalky as in a bit white or brown?
  • @ttddinh Try some canned pumpkin, the plain non-sweetened. Just one or two tablespoons depending upon his size. You can mix it in with his food. It's a natural diarrhetic.

You can also give him a can of green tripe a week as a substitute for one of his meals. Some people I know do two times per week. It helps to keep everything cleaned out.
  • Thanks everyone! He was an outdoor dog before I fostered him so his diet was pretty bad--plus he is overweight. Now, I am feeding him raw 3 days, kibble 3 days. Since he's on antibiotics, he has plain yogurt with his meal everyday. For days on raw he alternates between: fish, beef kidney, beef liver, tomatoes, celery, green beans for kibble days, he just has TOTW pacific stream variety.
  • As for his poop, sometimes the color varies from marigold to normal poop color...but it is always hard.
  • He just gets fish, beef kidney and beef liver any bone in items?

I'm not sure why would it be hard especially if you feed kidneys and liver.. I dunno.
  • @saya he also gets raw bone marrows...