Show leash and collar

edited August 2011 in Products & DIY
I've seen that JA at dog shows often are presented with the traditional golden or silver silk leash and leader collar.
Does anyone know an online shop where I can buy them? I'm looking mainly for the golden collar.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Comments

• I've seen a site that sells leashes like that they were different coloring, but had that look might have gold and silver. I forgot the name of it. I might have it on my email or on my old pc though the old pc doesn't work always. =\

If I come upon it I'll let you know.
  • I have some British style slip leads for agility that are kind've like that, but not gold/silver. I got them from jjdog.com

http://www.jjdog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jj&Category_Code=2CATNewBritishStyleSlipLeads
  • edited August 2011
    And I can't read, nevermind lmao.
  • the only place i know that sells them is in japan, most of the uk exhibitors that use them have bought them mail order from there. they aren't cheap though, the gold and silver ones are more expensive. i use a red collar and a red rope lead when showing athena with a gold snake chain. the red rope lead was cheaper by a long way. they are really well made though, the set i use is a borrowed one from athenas co-owner as she currently shows her other girl on a silver set. when i've managed to save enough i'll order a gold set but with import tax and vat that is added on i'm looking at nearly, if not over £300.
    this is where athenas set came from
    http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/adachiya/akita.html
  • Many thanks for the link! I haven't seen the other colors until now.
  • How do you order from that site if you don't understand Japanese? :oP
  • Google Translate.

Although it does a poor job with Finnish, and there are so many books and DVDs I want to order from Finland.
  • I bet you could make a leash like that, if you were ambitious enough to learn how to weave ropes and make tassels. Not too hard, just takes more time than buying a leash. I was looking up where I could get some decorative, gold or red rope and there's silk-coated cotton rope, most commonly sold as "bondage rope" (*raises eyebrow*) and some gold braid anchor rope which looks very similar to the picture you posted.

Here's a link on how to make a rope dog leash (braided rope)
    Here's a link on making tassels

• @Souggy I can help you to have your books from Finland and also translate you the text you want :).
  • edited January 2013
    I know this is an old thread but Heidi's comments about making leads got me thinking so over last year I've been playing with different materials in an attempt to come up with an alternative to the silk show leads.
    i started out with a cord then the girlie in me took over and i kinda went a little bead crazy. these are a few cord ones.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I wanted somethingmore like the silk than the cord and came across a product called biron although it didn't turn out to be strong enough i loved the final lead it made. maybe ok for our puppy if she is born.

Photobucket

and then i found a polyester thread so tried that and i think i finally have something as close as i can get to a silk lead.
    Photobucket

just need to work on my tassel making skills

let me know what you think to them?
  • ooohh they are really pretty! are they pretty sturdy though?
  • With a strong dog, the beads can cut into the palm.
  • The beading is placed in a way that it would not interfere with a handler controlling a dog but these are designed as show leads and not for general use I would expect any dog that is shown to have a decent amount of training anyway so wouldn't be an issue that said i have tested the strength on both my American Akita and friends rather enthusiastic lab and had no issues with any but the biron lead which is why i said it was not suitable to use. there are a number of UK exhibitors that are using them in the ring at the moment and i have had no compliant as yet
  • Thr store Adachiya in Japan is where I got mine. A forum member (@jikjak) happened to be going to Japan and asked of anyone wanted anything so I asked for a leash and collar. I got a black set because the gold set is more expensive and I think black would look better on Toki. Though one day I plan on getting a gold or silver eventually.
  • I would love a purple collar and maybe a pink one. Actually I'd happily have one in every colour I could get but I need a new show dog first lol.
  • I own a silver set but it is not useful when showing FCI style. Even with switching the lead from the collar to the snake during movement it is still difficult to use. It makes quite an impression, but it is good for showing Akiho style only.