Please help... running out of options

edited August 2011 in Behavior & Training
This is a copy paste from my thread on the shiba forums. I would like input from the other community members.

So, if you remember me, I rescued my dog with food aggression problems about two years ago. His owners were beating him and were about to take him to the shelter to be put to sleep. The food aggression was just part of his problems because we found several triggers that would elicit negative behavior such as touching him when he is sleeping, touching him while playing (sometimes), and if he brushes himself on you and you pet him. We ran several blood tests and found his head may have a hormone imbalance.

I worked with several behaviorists and tried medications for his aggression problems. All were short term remedies for his problem. The longest we lasted without any signs of aggression was about 4 months but that's because we weren't allowed to touch him until the behaviorist believed he was ready to go to phase 2 on our training.

Well the past year he has bitten several of my close family members. My father, mother, girlfriend, and myself (two days ago). A few months ago had my girlfriend, mother, and father bitten at the same week. I went to my behaviorist and she recommended me to a doctor who prescribed him stronger medication that would calm him down. This worked for quite some time so we started easing him off the meds slowly.

This week, he has lunged at my girlfriend, and chased her while growling. Yesterday, I decided to hold him in my arms and he started growling (which he never does with me). While he was growling, I threw him off of me and he bit my leg and left a pretty nice puncture wound. He realized what he did and ran around the coffee table and put his head under the couch.

My deal was if he bites anyone again, I would have to put him to sleep.

So, I am running out of options. I have another doctor's appointment next week to see if we can do anything to save him. I love my dog but I cannot have him biting my loved ones. I also signed a contract with the old Shiba Inu Rescue of Florida that states I will be his last owner.

Has anyone else have a similar experience? Any thoughts or suggestions on making this decision easier will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time on reading my post.

Old thread about Sasuke's behavior progression.

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/comments.php? DiscussionID=2921&page=1#Item_0