Training

Other than the local PetSmart/Petco training classes, are there any recommendations of a Shiba savvy/oriented trainer in the SGV/Los Angeles area?
The only name I received from a breeder a while ago was Brian Lee (Way of the Dog). I do not know if any of you are familiar with him and/or have used his services?

Comments

• Is it just obedience work or some thing more spcialized that you're looking for? I think the best training is the one a owner does to work with their dog since it will be a great experience and there are tons of literature and how to DVD's out there. Just dont get the Dog Whisperer one...
  • Do a trainer search on the APDT website. http://www.apdt.com/petowners/ts/default.aspx

• Have you tried yelp too? Just to see people's personal experiences. Try and stay away from anyone who uses dominance/submission/control techniques. You'll have one anxiety ridden Shiba if you go with someone like that.
  • Thank you for the responses. I did try yelp and unfortunately got no responses to the e-mails I sent. I will try the APDT website.
    I more so want the training for socialization purposes. I have a feeling my Shiba was in a kennel all three years of his life. He is scared of EVERYTHING. An empty bench scares him. He is least friendly to puppies. He is not food nor toy motivated. Of course I know it is going to take TIME for him to adjust and I do feel he is doing well all things considered. He can sit, give paw and come when asked (only when he is in my room). In the living room he has too many things to "worry" about. The wind may cause the leaves of the trees/plants move and make a noise. ;)
    I want to be able to introduce new things to him without causing a "nervous breakdown."
  • Instead of a trainer, I highly suggest that you find a good positive based behaviourist to help you and your dog through his fears.