For all the NY hunters

edited July 2011 in Hunting & Working
Looks like the hogs are spreading. I need to do a road trip and hunt hogs in different states, Shigeru and Dave up for a road trip one of these days?

http://news.yahoo.com/wild-boars-invade-farms-attack-pets-152731899.html

Comments

• LoL, I smell a pig-roasted meet up in the making. I'm no hunter, but I wouldn't mind seeing what these guys taste like and maybe see your pups in action (if that's allowed)
  • OOOH! While I am definitely not a hunter, I could be up for a drive/flight for a meet-up... As long as there can be veggie alternatives to the pig roast. :-P
  • I am as of yet a wannabe hunter, but this sounds really awesome. They're saying hogs are spreading around here, too. They seem really hardy, so I think if they are established here, they'll just keep on spreading.
  • Tuula and I would totally be down for a hog hunt someday. I need to get some time off and then I'm in for an eastern state hunt.
  • <<Wild boars are invading the farms of central New York state, attacking livestock, killing family pets and chasing people, experts warned on Friday.>>

It's against the law to use dogs to hunt large game up here.

I live in Central New York- about 20 miles outside of Sempronius in Southern Cayuga County, which is considered *Boar Central* around here (the article talks about Sullivan County in Central NY--Sullivan County is bedroom community to NYC! LOL). I hike down there all the time at Bear Swamp State Forest. I've never heard these sorts of claims, lol. Yes, people see tracks and hunters will take a few down per year, but I've never heard ANYTHING about them chasing people or killing pets and livestock. Our local whipping boy is the coyote- eating the little Chiweenies and Pomapoos that people stupidly leave outside unattended. To be honest, I think the article is blowing this a bit out of proportion (IMHO). Forget about the wild boars and coyotes- we have more problems with human rifraf, pedophiles and sociopaths up here--THAT'S what we need to be worried about. :o/

I swing AR nowadays, but find these fenced 'game farms' (that the hogs are supposedly escaping from) incredibly unsportsmanlike. Always have. I hunted for years --small game only, although my dad & uncles did large game--but came from a family that wouldn't be *caught dead* hunting animals that had no means of escape or fair chance. I mean really, what the hay? Everyone turns a blind eye to these game reserves, and then some animals escape and become invasive and all of a sudden, everyone has a conniption about it. It just... boggles my mind. I mean, New York has more regulations on importing non-local firewood than we do bringing in these huge non-native animals to fenced farms for people corner, shoot, and then gloat over. Sigh.

Jen

• It's illegal to hunt big game with dogs here, too (and more places) but invasive species don't normally have game regulations, meaning they don't technically count as game, they count as pests. So, my guess would be that there aren't any rules regarding the hunting of wild boar (that is the case in many places) other than the general laws involving firearms.
  • You can hunt boar in NYS with dogs as they're not classified as "large game" and there is no limited season for them. NYS wants them eradicated. I posted the DEC regs on this issue a while back.
  • Odd. I have a good friend from Sempronius and I think it's a pretty small town.