B.A.T Behavior Adjustment Training

While looking for canine-related workshops and activities around my area I came across B.A.T, Behavior Adjustment Training. I bought and watched the Organic B.A.T DVD and found its concept and approach very interesting and practical and can be effective especially with reactive, fearful or shy dogs.

On a side note, I ended up signing for the Tellington Touch workshop offered by the training school founded by Grisha Stewart, the creator of Behavior Adjustment Training and had been practicing it on my two Shibas whenever I got a chance. :)

In a nut shell, BAT uses functional and bonus rewards, combined with clicker training and systematic desensitization to help dogs make better choices in an error-free way. It is especially effective with reactive, fearful or shy dogs.

Here are some of the tidbits I found interesting from Grisha's BAT page:
The key to BAT working quickly is low stress, never leaving the dog in the ‘deep end of the pool’ or punishing them for incorrect choices.

The idea of using the reward that the dog is working to earn to reinforce a new, more ‘appropriate’ replacement behavior.

So with the Antecedent -> Behavior -> Consequence model, you have something like: Antecedent -> Behavior 1 -> Consequence being replaced by Antecedent -> Behavior 2 -> Consequence (Think of ‘antecedent’ as a cue or something that signals the behavior is about to be paid for.) So Mailman arrives -> Barking -> Mailman leaves is replaced by Mailman arrives -> dog turns away -> Mailman leaves I love that part. It means that the environment itself, which created the problem, will now start rewarding your dog

I like the fact that she is emphasizing the use of functional rewards and not totally relying on treats, which can be distracting for the dog to learn the right behavior in itself. I also like the systematic protocol and approach B.A.T provides.

If you are interested, more information about B.A.T can be found here http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/bat/

There are 3 DVDs available on the topic. A introductory 1.5 hour one, a 3-hour one and a 5 hour DVD aiming at different interests level. I got the 3 hour DVD. Grisha will also publish a book about B.A.T this summer/fall too.

Here is a peer's view on B.A.T, http://www.pawsitivepackleader.com/node/15

Comments

• BAT can be a really good method. There's also a varient of it I learned, though now I'm forgetting what it is called. It's sometimes used in a game called "Look at that!" but it has a more theoretical name too, which is what I can't remember right now. It's when you reward a dog for looking at you when they see something stressful. You start by just pointing to things and saying "Look at that!" and when they do, they get a click and a treat. Things get mildy more arousing/exciting and you keep doing it til the dog knows that when they see something that makes them uncomfortable, they look at it, but then back at you and get a treat, and this can disrupt the cycle of arousal/overstimulation.

A behavioralist taught me to do this with one of my reactive dogs, and it seems to make him more comfortable, as well as give us a built in way for him to look to me for guidance when he's feeling stressed. It also gives me a way to gauge how uncomfortable he is, and do we need to move away from the stressful thing, or can he continue past it, etc.
  • Lisa,

Yes, I have heard of "Look At That", or among trainers, they just call it LAT. There is also another method called Constructional Aggression Treatment (CAT).

I think all three can be used to help dogs, especially with reactive, aggressive or shy dogs. Have you tried B.A.T with your dogs? I find it really interesting as it really uses functional reward, rather than food (food can be used, but usually as a bonus). The theory is based on reactive, fearful or shy dogs usually display reactive, fearful or aggressive behavior for a functional reason, such as wanting the scary person/dog/object (the monster) to go away. Therefore, the best reward is the monster going away or increasing distance. B.A.T teaches the dog to do a different behavior (such as head turn, look away, shake off, rather than whatever behavior they show previously) and then give them the functional reward, such as increasing distance.

I would love to hear if you have tried any of the B.A.T techniques.

Sandra