RAW diet

Hi, with the raw diet, how do you go about feed the whole fish? Do you fillet it first? I am worried about the bones and all. With sardines, the bones could be eaten but with salmon, do the dogs actually leave the bones or attempt to eat it?
Thanks!

Comments

• You can leave the bones in just like you would with chicken. Be careful about feeding salmon though. It should not be fed unless it has been frozen first (or cooked, and then boneless of course) because it has something in it--a parasite?--that is bad for dogs. There is a raw feeding thread around here somewhere where we discussed this in more detail, so a quick search might be able to pull that up for you.
  • Neorickettsia helminthoeca? The parasite that causes Salmon Poisoing Disease?

It can be transmitted through bears as well, but only if they have a habit of consuming salmons. Hence why hunters wont' eat"fall bears."
  • Saya loves raw smelt, saury, and mackerel. She has eaten mackerel filets and whole mackerel it didn't have the guts, but had the head, whole Saury had the head, meat, bones, and organs. She ate those fine with the bones.

Saya eaten a blue gill I caught from my pond I gutted it cut the fins on the top and bottom of the fish since they're sharp.
    I froze the blue gill for a month and then fed it Saya did fine she ate it's head, body and stuff she did spit some bones out, but she left them.

Salmon are coarse bigger, but the whole gutless mackerel was pretty big and Saya handled the bones fine..

I'd be careful with salmon and trout depending where it came from..

Saya has eaten 1oz of Alaskan salmon she did fine, but it was frozen for a bit.

I'd love to feed a whole trout or salmon to Saya after freezing it for a bit though only worry would be hook in stomach or throught.. I guess I could gut it out and leave other organs that wouldn't have it..

Picture of the Saury the ground stuff is ground lamb.. Saury seems to weigh about 6oz and that's a normal dinner plate size wise..
    Photobucket

Saya eating the fish.
    Photobucket

• THANKS! This was very informative...I will be sure to look up other forums on raw!