Nature's Domain-Dog food from Costco

Has anyone tried the Nature's Domain Dog food from Costco? Please let me know what you think of it. The breeder who I got Bea from said I could get that for her but I am wanting to know what other dog owners think of it. Thanks!

Comments

• "Costco and Diamond presents Nature's Domain, a grain free dog food comparable to Taste of the Wild. It comes in 2 formulas, turkey meal & sweet potato and salmon meal & sweet potato. I thought it was neat, something you can suggest to those people on the fence about switching to grain free (much cheaper than Orijen or Acana), another food to stick in your rotation, a way to stick to grain free even if you're short on money or maybe your dog just does well on it. I just found out about it through another dog forum and the reviews are good. Just thought you guys might want to know."

^copy and pasted from my thread on the Shiba forum.
  • I just purchased a bag of the turkey/sweet potato for my foster. He's still being transitioned from Hills Prescription I/D + Nature's Variety to it so it's still early to tell. It's much cheaper than Orijen and even Acana, and the % protein is less than Orijen or Acana (which I like). He likes it much more than the Nature's Variety.

My friends are trying out the salmon/sweet potato because of their breeder friends raving about it. Dog people are petitioning their local Costco's to carry the dog food since the reviews have been good so far.
  • I was just looking at this food (tho not at costco), looked pretty good. I passed on it because Jen is still anti-Diamond... but it did look good.

----
  • Last time I talked to them (about a month ago) they are coming out with a line of cat food soon. Can't wait.
  • I am pretty anti diamond too, or I would use it as a back up kibble. Using wellness core to see how Kyuubi does on it. I *might* pick up a bag if I see it at costco.
  • @jujee and brada's jen: Why are you anti-diamond?
  • It seems that everyone on this forum is a costco member but me. I used to be co-op kinda gal, but here in the coop-free state of AZ I generally shop at sprouts with side trips to whole foods or trader joes. I already have more 'stuff' than I need and mostly buy consumables.

Would there be anything I would want at costco besides a good deal on dog food? Would the member price cancel out any savings for someone who only shops reluctantly?
  • aykayk
    edited July 2011
    Some people don't trust Diamond after they had produced dog food contaminated with aflatoxin, which is produced by a fungus that grows on corn. (A grain, I should point out.) Seventy-six known dog deaths were caused by this.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/01/04/Company-settles-suit-over-toxic-dog-food/UPI-52721199476289/

As seen in the article, the company settled a class action lawsuit without admitting wrong-doing.
  • @jan3t - Yes and no, definitely have to shop smart. They are usually cheaper than normal grocery store prices. If they're on sale at the grocery store though, usually cheaper to go that route.

We have the executive membership. Pay an extra $50/year but you get 3% of your purchase back at the end of the year. We always make a couple hundred lol.
  • edited July 2011
    @ttddinh - exactly why I am anti diamond is because of the article that ayk posted. I am huge on dog nutrition, so I am quite picky when it comes to feeding my dogs. Probably why I have Mika on a raw diet right now, and Kyuubi I probably won't switch to raw 100% til he's a year old.

@okiron - probably why we decided on a costco membership, 3% cashback! lol
  • I'll try this if I see it, for sure. Is there a way to find out if they carry it at my local Costco (without going there)? I need to renew my membership. I might get that executive membership if I'm buying dog food there. That adds up to quite a bit.