Howard the Mutt

edited July 2011 in Other Breeds
Wait! Before you click on this, test and adjust your volume! This was filmed on a cell phone camcorder, and it can sound weird on computer speakers!

Since I was asked what my current furry roommate looks like, I tried to find some pictures on my hard drive. That was a bust, so here's a video from last year's Test of the Sirens. He does this every month, but I'm never around for it due to school. I have better videos, but no way to convert them so I can edit them.
Anyhoodle, he starts howling about3/4 of the way through. If you listen hard enough you can hear my brother and I laughing in the background. I think he has such an interesting howl, it's more like a yodel or something.
(Also, from what I understand, most NK dogs don't make a lot of noise in general. Another quality with which to convert/convince my mother!)

Comments

• Aw, that's cute (I have a weakness for howling dogs). My Border Collie has only howled one time that I remember. It was several years ago and some super-young-kids TV show was on and there was a rooster in part of it, and my dog howled every time the rooster crowed. Other than that, she's never howled and I haven't been able to replicate her howling with the rooster.

Howard is very cute. :)
  • So cute! Saya has only howled 3 times she mostly yodels, but I guess that could be a type of howling?..
  • Apparently the tornado alarms in the area sound enough like other dogs howling that my boy has to succumb to his "inner wolf". He can do this for up to ten minutes or however long they run those darn things.

@Saya I love the shiba scream! If you ever catch Saya yodeling I'd love to see some video. I find that spitz dogs tend to be "singers". *squee* @WhoBitMe I too have a huge weakness for howling dogs. Howard here is the best alarmist around. ^-^ He also wishes to tell you thanks for the compliment. I've actually gotten him to warble a little bit by mimicking the siren with my voice (I used to do that for vocal exercise) but the jig was up once he realized it was me and not the "other dogs" off in the distance. XD I think it's safe to say that seeing the source of the noise that causes the reaction. That and Howie is smarter than we like to give him credit for.
  • Thanks sadly my camera that takes video too broke. =(

Maybe there's a camera shop that can fix it.. Or buy a new one.. I'd love a new camera that's water proof so I can take it to the lake or places like that without worrying about it breaking..
  • edited July 2011
    My kai howls with the fire trucks. He takes it very seriously, and it is the only time he really makes any noise. He howls just like the fire trucks! It cracks me up.

He did have a bit of a barking reaction at 9 mos. old, but it was easy to teach him that it was unacceptable. He only did it at night walking when I think he couldn't really see the people.

My parent's female sings! She sings to herself in her crate. She'll look out the front window and sing. I've heard of a few other females in the US that do this. It really is a nice noise though. She does it when she's fully content and happy and it usually brings a big ol' smile to my face.