Garmin buys Tri-tronics

For those of you that don't know, Garmin (the maker of the Astro 220 and 320 GPS tracking collar) just bought Tri-tronics, one of the oldest and most trusted names in e-collars. I'm guessing they did this to rapidly compete with the new Sportdog Tek 1.0 LT GPS+e-collar combo that just came out.

Anyway, point is there was an article in Gizmodo lambasting Garmin for the purchase here: http://gizmodo.com/5816866/the-world-doesnt-need-shocking-collars-for-dogs and what I thought was a very insightful response here: http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-dogs/2011/07/response-gizmodos-attack-shock-collars

The response makes some interesting points. I've asked a similar question on the forum before: How do you extinguish a self-reinforcing behavior?

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I can't really say much about how trial people use the e-collars on their retrievers. See: htp://fetchpup.com. However when I expressed interest in it, people reminded me it is easy to screw up a dog if I don't know what I am doing. So I will leave the politics up to people who actually understand what it is all involved.

Now that being said, there are some dogs that cannot be broken of chasing cars or chasing deer independently of their owners without an e-collar. I understand that. It's how some of the greyhounds are broken of chasing ANY game except coyotes.
  • Wow my old set up is a tri tronic. Good stuff too. I saw the new Sportdog GPS, I wish I could buy it and use it but oh well. Maybe one of these days Cali hunting laws will allow GPS trackers for dogs.

@souggy: Yes it is really easy to ruin a dog with the use of a e-collar. It really requires a lot of understanding on when to use it and when not to use it. I use and am a believer (I know people hate it when I say this) in using a e-collar for retriever training and breaking big game dogs of chasing "trash". From my experience it is not a good training method for NK or Kishus to be exact. It just does not work what so ever and only makes things worse.