Blue Buffalo Wilderness food

I know food has been talked about before on here, but has anyone had any experience with the wilderness line from blue buffalo? I happened to be at petsmart yesterday for some toys and noticed it advertised being grain-free. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions?

Comments

• I don't feed the wilderness line but I do feed my kishus the blue buffalo in the sweet potato and fish formula. The dogs love that stuff and I noticed a big change in their strength and endurance when out hunting. They used to eat the purina pro plan until I noticed that taro had a hard time digesting that stuff. Stuff's kind of pricey but blue buffalo is having a special where you buy two bags and get a third one free with a mail in coupon.
  • I never tried blue buffalo before was going to, but tried something else.

Looks like good food so maybe give it a try.
  • I was warned to stay away from Blue Buffalo (by a vet nurse friend and two vets) because veterinarians "suspect" a link between BB and crystals in the urine. To my knowledge, there haven't been any tests done to prove or disprove this.

That said, I had London on blue buffalo (sweet potato and fish) for a year and a half... maybe two years... without any problems. I actually thought it made his coat look really full and nice (he'd had problems with his coat when he was a baby)! When I got Russell, he had a lot of problems processing it - it'd run right through him. I allowed some time for him to adjust and it just got worse. I tried swapping him to wilderness because of his weight problems (too thin; never gains weight) and he still had trouble... so I think it depends on the dog and their history/what their systems are used to.
  • I was looking into the Blue Buffalo Wilderness, but it's too expensive. I'd have to get a job to buy it, which will hopefully be soon because when I get a Kai Ken I want it to have good, high quality food; even if it's not Blue Buffalo. Also my parents and sister say I'll have to pay for its food anyway.

@Crispy - That's weird about the crystals in the urine. Our dogs didn't have any problems when we used to give them Blue Buffalo. I still think that the Iams we're giving them now is much worse than that could be though.
  • We feed wilderness & like it a lot.
  • A lot of dog people in my area are fond of Kirkland brand of dog food that is sold at Costco. It's pretty inexpensive but good quality. Some locations carry a grain-free version in addition to the regular ones.
  • I feed my Border Collie the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck variety normally. I got her the salmon variety once and she doesn't like it as much so I stick with the duck. She has some allergies to corn and she's done well on Blue Buffalo with no more major doggy dandruff. I haven't noticed any issues with it and it's much better (in my experience) than the Iams stuff she used to get before I knew better.
  • I've fed my cat blue buffalo and it seemed good.

Grain-free from Costco? That blows my mind! I recall their regular food being better in comparison to Purina and Iams and the like, and for much less.
  • Just googling on it, some people liked that the Kirkland grain-free substituted the grains with sweet potato and kept their protein to 24%. Other people wanted a high % protein and passed.

Word is that Diamond makes Kirkland as well as Taste of the Wild dogfood, and Kirkland is like their "B" line.
  • We feed the fish formula and Tuula doesn't like it on its own. The other two dogs eat whatever you put in front of them.
  • I tried the blue buffalo wilderness, I think it was duck, for my husky but she ended up leaving behind all the life source bits. I feed blue buffalo senior to my samoyed mix, she doesn't have any trouble with it but she'll eat just about anything you put in front of her.

My kitten loves the wilderness blue buffalo brand, but my persian doesn't have any great enthusiasm for it.
  • Just bought the grain-free from Costco. It's called Nature's Domain and comes in either turkey/sweet potato or salmon/sweet potato. The turkey/sweet potato was 35 lbs for ~$29. I'll be giving it to the foster and seeing how he fares on it.
  • I feed Kiyomi BB Wilderness, the duck one is her favorite. She wasn't fond of the salmon. She hasn't had any problems, but it's all I've ever fed her so I can't really compare to other brands.
  • Feeding Blue Buffalo was associated with hypercalcemia and Vitamin D toxicity last summer. http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=16468

This is probably what your friends were alluding to, Crispy.