Cool looking shibas.

edited June 2011 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
While surfing the net I came across the Mino Shiba, I think they are one of the coolest looking Shibas. According to some of the websites, there is only a few hundred left in Japan. They come from a strong hunting background and many are still hunted.

mino 3

mino 2

mino shiba

Some thing about that dark red coat is just really awesome.

Comments

• I also love that dark red coat! Beautiful.
  • I love the Mino shiba! Seriously awesome looking dogs :)
  • Yeah! Those are some cool looking Shibas! That red is amazing. I wonder how similar temperament wise they are to the modern Shiba?
  • Really nice!
  • edited June 2011
    Nice pictures I've read about Mino shiba before and they looks so neat!

Thanks for posting about them I love their tough rugged look and nice they are still used to hunt.
  • Is it me or does that second picture show a funky hind left foot on that dog?

Jesse
  • Those Shibas look great!
  • @shishiinu looks like u need a mino shiba!

they are really stunning! :)
  • Wow, they are stunning dogs!

Jen
  • they really are neat looking versions of shibas.

but be honest - if someone posted one of these on petfinder, then cross posted here saying it needed rescuing - almost everyone would say they were probably not a shiba, but a chow mix.

Do the Minos maintain a more sharp, drivey nature than does the more popular version of shiba?
  • edited June 2011
    Just love that deep nutmeg or mahogany color. Would be interesting to find out more about them. I think there was another thread generally about this breed but not much more in regard to specifics or first hand experience in working with them.

@Jess - I think the dog is standing on a stone so it looks weird. Are you referring to the chewy marks? I see what looks like missing fur on the front paw too....Allergies perhaps?? The coat is so dark it is hard to tell.

Snf
  • edited June 2011
    Hunting, eh? I'd be interested in one of those. They are definitely gorgeous! Who are they registered with? Or is this considered non-standard?
  • From what I have read on the net, they are recognized by nipo and like the kai the mino shiba has its own aigokai from what I have seen. The description on some of the owners blogs say that the mino shiba has more drive and hunting instincts in them.

• I need to go to Japan.
  • Was thinking the same thing Heidi (LOL)
  • Holy WOW they're awesome :D
  • Whoa, wierd! I mean they are cool, and that color is pretty cool (does remind me of a Chow though) but it's so odd to see the lack of urajiro and what looks like a shorter coat. That second pic made me do a double take--for a moment I thought, Basenji/Shiba cross?

I think if I saw one I would have thought it was a chow cross too....

Honestly, I can't imagine a Shiba having MORE drive and hunting instinct! Yikes!
  • aykayk
    edited June 2011
    Geography-wise, how close are Mino Shibas to Kai? I wonder if a Kai would look like these Shibas if the brindling was gone.

NIPPO recognizes the Mino Shibas apart from modern blended Shibas?
  • I'm looking at a really old book that was published by the hozonkai and it shows the Mino and another line of shibas and actually I dont see any thing sayng they officially recognize the Mino. Sorry for the misinfo.

The Mino comes from the Mino vllage located in Gifu prefecture. The Mino village still has the old edo style homes and just being in the village kind of makes you feel like you went back in time. I been there twice when I was a kid and never remember seeing a shiba like that but I probably wasnt paying much attention.

As for the geography near Yamanashi, its not too far away. Its right next to Nagano which is right next to Yamanashi.
  • Mino Shiba's are solid red, no urajiro. Some have a bit of white on the chest and feet, but that's pretty much it. There is some tongue spotting as well. The breed club is the Gifu Prefecture Mino Shiba Preservation Society, and there are only around 150 registered dogs. As far as I know the Mino is not recognized by any other breed clubs/registries.
  • Are they selling outside Japan at all?
  • They are pretty particular about where they place pups since there's so few of them. To get a pup from most litters you have to be willing to breed/show, though I'm sure exceptions could be worked out.
  • Be willing to breed/show in Japan, too, I'm sure. From their perspective, a dog outside Japan is of no use to them, right?
  • Yes, in Japan.
  • Found this blog, thought it might be interesting to share:
    http://musashi.silk.to/
  • It's a very intense red, like Irish Setter mahogany. Pretty much the opposite of what we want color wise in modern Shiba, but it's still very stunning.
  • Holy crap! She has a doppleganger.
  • @Beth-- Thanks for all the blogs. Really interesting to look at the dogs.

The Minos are gorgeous. Glad there is a "preservation society".

I think it would be very interesting to do "DNA maps" of various Nihon Ken in Japan. (Who knows, there may be some Chow in the Mino mix. According to "Chow" history, they were also used as hunting dogs in China.)