Tracking or scenting

edited June 2011 in Behavior & Training
I was just curious are there any books out there to help me learn about teaching Saya to track or scent?

There's no class nearby that specialize in it plus I plan to do it as a fun activity since Saya seemed to enjoy it on the first try with the quail.

The obedience class I went to with Bella and Saya taught a little on it, but saya wasn't interested in the type of scent the trainer used though Bella did great with it.

I don't plan to hunt or anything, but thought it'd be a fun activity to work on.

I'd like to just train her to find a toy or quail dummy with quail scent on it, since Saya seemed to really be interested in the quail smell from her quails.

I have plenty of room to work with her and to hid the item.

Comments

• See if there is an all-breed "tracking" club in your area. You may be able to train her that way.
  • I've actually enrolled Tetsu in a tracking class, it starts tomorrow. I recently found out that AKC has competitive tracking, which is basically teaching them to track a human scent and find an object such as a glove. Searching on the AKC site might help you find clubs or training sites. The only way I found out about the tracking class for Tetsu was cause one of the instructors at the obedience place I go to had started it up. Basically only people who knew the instructor or went to the obedience facility knew about it.

You may want to see if there are any tracking competitions being held nearby. Even if you don't want to do it competitively, it could offer up some good leads.
  • Thanks there is a AKC training thing or something like that they just do obedience, CGC, agility, conformation, but who knows they might teach tracking. Thanks for the tip.

I might call up Saya's trainer from puppy class and obedience she might know someone if anything i'm sure there is one in Indianapolis since it's bigger then Lafayette.

I wouldn't mind the drive plus we can go to three dog bakery each time. lol

I definitely won't doing it competitively Saya is a good learner and can focus, but who knows. I mainly want to do it for fun having her track a human scent would be fun too.
  • "Scent and the Scenting Dog"