NK training day in the works.

edited May 2011 in Hunting & Working
Now that things have settled down a bit and I can finally clear my mind, I am planning a training day for my Kishus. I found a place Riverside county that has wild hogs in a large fenced area. The operation is high fenced hunting op that caters to first time hunters and for people who want to hunt with their dogs.

Now here's what I am planning, well I'm planning a trip up a few times from now to september. What I wanted to ask every one here is who would be interested in meeting up for a little NK hog training day? The cost is $450 per pig at the most (usually between $350 to $450 depending on the hog you end up harvesting). Its in a confined area so there are no worries of not findingyour dog although the place is some what big.

Once I have some who are wanting to try this out, I will call them to see if they have smaller pens to "test" dogs. Now if you dont end up harvesting a animal, there is a $50.00 fee for the visit. I have plenty of guns to share and nice thing is that its a license free area so no hunting license or tags are required. It would be a great oppotunity to fill your freezer and to get out and learn how to hunt.

If any one is interested please let me know. I am planning on going up once Koyuki is off her rag.

Comments

• Dang. If I were ANYWHERE near CA, I would be down.
    I can tell those of you who are even sort of interested that this is a great opportunity. You get the chance to see your dogs work in a controlled environment and, as Gen said, you get to fill your freezer. Plus, you learn about guns and hunting and how food gets from field to fork.
    I'd have given anything when I was beginning to hunt to have someone show me the ropes.
  • Wish you and Tuula could come out for this Kevin.
  • I think Kyuubi is way too young for this but I would love to come watch and dont mind splitting the fee :)
  • How old is Kyuubi? He might be able to come out and bark and see his first hog. You know Julie, if he gets into it, you are going to have to start hunting...
  • Oh man, I'd bring Ty in a heart beat if it wasn't clear across the country. :-(
  • He's 13 weeks right now. Lol, me hunting? I never thought I would but who knows. Dogs makes us do things we never thought we would right?
  • I really like the "filling your freezer" part of this....too bad I'm not in CA! What a cool thing to do!
  • CA needs to be closer to NY, it would be awesome to see this sort of thing live and in person. Should make it mandatory for anyone who goes to bring a friend to take pictures and video so all us East Coasters can feel a part of the action.
  • Gen,
    I'm very interested to see if my lil' hellion has what it takes. I'm not interested in pursuing hunting but I'll willingly donate any portion that would fill my freezer to anyone who would want it (and pay for the shipping).

Now, to get the better half to buy in on this...

Jesse
  • Oh, this is awesome! I'm in for sure!

I am not interested in taking any boar home, but I'd be happy to help pay for one you take, Gen.

Mos def let me know the dates and I'll be sure to make the time to join you!

----
  • Alright people, remember to take videos for those of us who are super jealous of all the So Cal people and all the fun they have!
  • Sweet! Well I'm waiting for a call back from the ranch. I will check and see how many people can come along to watch. I have a feeling that they may only allow one or two "watchers". If some one don't want to get down and dirty with the dogs I have rifles for long range shooting
  • This sounds very cool. I'd like to check it out
  • Oh wow, this sounds amazing! I would love to go, even if just to get some meat, but I lack an actual hunting dog right now. Do you think a Shiba would make a good bay dog? XD
  • No dog or hunting gear required. If you want to learn how to spot and stalk or learn how to hunt behind dogs, this would be a great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of hunting.
  • Gen, don't you mean "inus and outs" of hunting. ;-) (Pun intended)
  • I actually think my Shiba would be a good bay dog. The thing is, Kage might bay the other dogs
  • I wonder if Corina ( @ShikokuSpirit ) has seen this? I think she might be interested.
  • Yeah, that'd be awesome! I'll take Shuran. I have Sundays & Mondays off from work. There's a possibility of going out on a Saturday as well depending on the date.

I'd be interested in taking some Boar meat home for my dogs and Aislyn. They'll enjoy it and it'll help curb their feeding expenses.
  • Awesome Corina, it will end up on a sunday since I have a sunday, monday, tuesday off. I should know more this weekend on dates and rules.
  • Hmm, are the wild boars from that ranch safe to feed to dogs? Worried that the boars might have the trichinosis parasite.
  • Julie, we can look into that and have them checked/tested, I'm sure. Worst case senario our dogs (and my cat) eat cooked boar meat =].

I really want to try this Boar Stew myself! Will totally be needing the recipe.

---------------

Gen, with the exception of June 5th (house & dog sitting), Sundays will be great! I'm looking forward to it.
  • Sounds good Corina. I say either deep freeze it or cook it. Although I will eat most of it before it gets freezer burns so the dogs usually get the scraps.

• Yeah, I'll probably use it for Kevin and myself. We just got a huge freezer chest too~ So I'm happy to throw stuff in it haha.

I may use some of the hog to make jerky as training treats for the pups :]

Excited, I cannot wait for this!
  • Wow, this sounds so cool....if I were closer, I'd want to go. None of my dogs would be useful (my best "hunter" is afraid of people, and is a "small game" dog: she's great at catching birds, bugs, lizards, rats), but I would LOVE to learn how to hunt with dogs. That would be so awesome!

Well, have fun, everyone! I'll be eager to hear about it!
  • Ok so I'm just trying to coordinate with dates with weather and days off. It may take a little longer to plan it but I am shooting either for the end of the month or early june before it heats up too bad. News is that the rattlers are out and about this year...
  • I have long wondered about Tuula's skill hunting larger & more dangerous game. She would definitely be a bay dog--no trying to go toe to toe with a big hog for her. She's smart enough to keep her distance and cagey enough that I think she would just be safe.
  • Funny you say that Kevin. It seems that apart from the dedicated catch dogs, most dogs are smart enough to keep some distance. Just like Shigeru's video of Baron, thats exactly the safest way for dogs to bay up a hog. Watching different footages of different breeds, I really like the hunting style of the Kishu because they really respect the hog and know that the hog packs a punch like no other.
  • Sounds like fun Gen! If I were to live closer I would definitely take my Jagdterrier out there for a hog test. Man!!! I'm so jealous if this fun opportunity. Remember to take lots of pictures and videos Gen. I really want to see how tora and Koyuki do on their hog test.
  • Ok so I'm going to be making more solid plans for this. Who all would be interested in going? I need to find out how many people and how many dogs so I can find out if I need to break it up within a few days or possibly a one day deal.