Koyuki started her cycle.

Ok so just a few hours ago Koyuki started her bleeding. For some reason Taro doesn't seem interested, which is good, but what does every one use to keep the blood from getting all over the place? I cant remember how long they last but I hope not too long...

Also are there pants out there that will keep her from getting knocked up?

Comments

• I think the pants will keep the blood from getting everywhere, but I don't know if they would keep a determined male from mating with her.....

On a funny side note, when I was a kid and we had an intact GSD, my mom bought something called "Anti mating spray" which you sprayed on her. It was lemon scented. She had four pups from that heat, and my mom and I still make jokes about the "anti-mating spray" and its effectiveness.
  • Jessica(Rabbit) had a great way to contain the bleeding, which I will do with Miyu when she starts. If I remember correctly, basically you get some boys/mens briefs, line the crotch area with women's maxi pads, and put it on the dog backwards so that the tail goes through the crotch hole.

From what I've read, the bleeding is about 2 weeks long.
  • Nice, good thing I have a lemon tree full of lemons in my yard. Time to give that pup a lemon juce soak down...j/k. I'm gonna look for some pants to keep things clean. As for taro, he seems like he could care less.
  • aykayk
    edited April 2011
    It's still too early for Taro to be really interested.

You can also buy some heat undies at Petco/Petsmart. They fit a little better and are velcro'ed on.

• edited April 2011
    Sweet, it looks like the kids chonies and a pad works great! Now to keep her from eating it... She looks funny as hell with buzz lightyear pants on!
  • @shishiinu picture! lol
  • Pictures or it didn't happen!
  • Lmao we so need pictures!
  • I feel your pain. Kaiya started hers about 2.5 weeks ago and is still going. We bought diapers, they are pricey, but my sofa is clean! We hadnt ever experienced a female in heat before and had no idea what we were getting into. I just cant wait for it to be over!
  • @shishiinu - She should bleed for around 5-10 days. The color of her discharge should lighten as the days progress, when the color is a honey color then she is close to ovulating. Around ovulation (or just before) is when your males should start to freak out. Post ovulation you have another week or so before you are in the clear. So, once she stops bleeding, keep her separated until your males are not interested anymore. Just because the bleeding stops doesn't mean the heat is over. FYI

----
  • Thanks Brad! That helps a lot for preparing for the next week or so. I will get some pics, its flip'n funny as hell. Although I'm going to have to get some thing made to fit her a little better.
  • @brada1878 is there typically still blood with the "honey" color discharge? Should I be worried that Kaiya is bleeding for too long? She started Sunday April 10...we are going on 20 days here soon and there is still blood (or what appears to me to be blood).
    Maybe a trip to the vet is in order? Sorry, first timer with a female in season...
  • @brittk - First heats can be a little more intense, with more discharge (usually due to the female not knowing how to properly clean themselves). A female can discharge for up to 21 days and still be considered "normal", but if that discharge is always bright red in color and never dulls to a clear (whitish) color then I would be a little worried. If a female discharges heavily past the 21 day point I would visit a vet as that could be prolonged estrus.

Mochi was spayed due to prolonged estrus, she had bright red discharge for 28 days. She was spayed to reduce the chance of a Pyometra.

I'm not a vet or an expert tho, so if you are concerned its best to give the vet a call.

----
  • I thought we would wait it out until Sunday (3 weeks) and see what happens. It got a little lighter earlier this week and then was back to being bright again so hopefully this is just her body being a little wacky. Poor girl doesnt need any more medical issues right now.

Thanks for your insight @brada1878 Its so nice to have experienced helpful people to turn to :)
  • @shishiinu - sorry for the thread jack! Pics of the Buzz Lightyear Koyuki are a must!
  • No worries, I'm glad every one talks about their experience with this stuff. Last time I went through a dog in heat was with yuki #1 which was awhile ago. Soon as I get home I'm going to take glamour shots of koyuki!
  • The Iceland sheepdog Skella I used to have would hardly bleed at all during her heat. There were maybe 2 or 3 days where she had to wear a diaper, and other than that, there was basically no discharge. I relied mainly on the way she acted and how interested in her other dogs were to know when she was in heat. She also only came into heat once/year.

She went back to the people I got her from, and they tried to breed her and it didn't take. I'm not sure if it's related; they said the male they tried first was kind of old, so that might be why. I'm not sure how many times they tried, but she's been spayed and is in a pet home now.
  • I hope you got everything under control Gen. Seriously we need to see some pictures! =)
  • Wow...Thanks Gen. Koyuki and Kurenai are only weeks apart I believe so thank you for giving me a heads up on what to expect.

Jesse
  • Are those boys under-oos? Definitely hot.
  • thats hilarious! Thanks for sharing :)
  • She is hilariously cute with the pants on!
  • Hahahahaha, that's the funniest thing ever lol
  • Haha that's great! Poor girl, she looks so cute with them undies on XD
  • My son gave up one of his favorit undies for the better of the carpets in the house.
  • Too bad they don't make girly girl panties with a fly. Hehehe. She's so cute.
  • Haha. Love it!
  • That is hilarious! She doesn't actually look that upset. Esp. in the second photo, she looks like she's thinking, "hey, I look hot in these!"
  • Oh gosh I just showed this to my younger brother (9) and he said "That's pretty". I asked him what was, the dog or the undies and he said "Both."
    Weird kid o_O