Post Spay: Loa looks noticeably thicker and filled-out. Side-effect of the spay? Coincidence?

As you guys know, Loa was spayed about 6 months ago after our/her final breeding attempt. Since her spay, she has put on a good bit of muscle-mass. She seems thicker - almost "butch".

My question: Is this a side effect of spaying, or simply a coincidence (that the spay happened just before she did a final "filling out" at age 3)?

I know early spay can effect growth in females, but Loa is/was fully grown. I wouldn't consider this an early spay as she was way past social and sexual maturity when she was desexed.

So, does late spaying cause changes to a female's build too?

She's not fat either, I know spaying is linked to weight gain, but she is actually looking really good weight-wise.

Thoughts?

(I know this thread would be better with a picture, but I don't have a recent one that shows what I am talking about)

----

Comments

• It could be coincidental. I seem to remember Rakka becoming beefier about a year after we got her, which would put her around 2. She was spayed at 6 months (I think?).
  • I think coincidental. Tsuki was spayed at 6 months and has always been super slim. We had a foster dog that was spayed at 2 years old (border collie mix) that also stayed slim, now 4 months post-spay.

Maybe it might take a little while for her body to adjust to the hormonal changes, or it could be weather & activity related?
  • Yea, I was thinking it could be a seasonal thing - she is getting out more not that the weather is nicer... But I would think I would have seen a similar trend other years with her, but we didn't.

I agree tho, I think it's an age coincidence... but I don't recall Ahi having a "beefing up" at this age. :oT

----
  • Have you also noticed Loa hanging onto her coat more?
  • Not yet, but it's only been 6 months (or less) since her spay. I'm sure she will, the intact females blow their coat hectically every heat cycle while the desexed girls will blow their coats less often - sometimes once a year here in this climate.

----
  • I think girls *tend* to fill out more after spay, at least with the lines and dogs I'm familar with. A breeder's lament I hear a lot with Shiba girls, goes along the lines of, "She looks so thin now and the coat isn't great, but I bet once she's spayed she'll finally look perfect for the ring." I would expect girls to be more filled out once they hit 3-4, as with males, and about then, with some bitches, it can be a struggle to keep them from looking dumpy or thick instead of feminine, but plush coat will also contribute to that thick appearance (and genetics, some dogs are lightly built and look thin all their lives).
  • Yeah, my girl Shiba is thin as can be (it's hard to keep weight on her) and she was spayed at 6 months. Of course, she's not representative of anything other than her crazy little self!

My dogs didn't start to gain much weight til they were three, though (Bel aside), so I wonder if it's just a coincidence?