Do you think this dog is a Shiba?

edited April 2011 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
I recently started taking Panda to a doggy daycare, and the owner of the daycare has a Shiba, but it is around 30lbs, so she thinks it might have some Kishu in it. I know that's pretty unlikely . . . its probably just an oversized Shiba.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150575469330564.671129.678035563&l=523306305b

Comments

• Looks shiba to me, maybe a little Jindo in there...But the face looks nothing like a Kishu. Also, there are cases of over-sized shibas, some belonging to forum members even.
  • Definitely a shiba. Just a slightly large one.
  • That's a Shiba. Nice looking dog.

Yes, there are some large Shibas among the forum member dogs. Case in point, Sukoshi, who is not exactly a "little bit" as her name implies. In her case it may be because there is some "old Chow" in her background according to the DNA test.
  • Head is more Shiba than Jindo.
  • Yes indeed! This forum member has a 40 lb. Shiba! (he's actually slimmed down, so maybe around 38 now--I hope).

That dog's face doesn't really look that Shiba like to me though. I mean, kind of, but it's just slightly off. Body language looks very Shiba though!
  • hello!
    we have the same problem with too big shibas France.
    And most judges turn a blind eye...mine is 40cm // 22,5lb but all males in France are othen about 33lb.
    they don't like females shiba 15,5lb, they say "too little, not correct", they prefer males=33lb and females=more than 22 (what a shame! )
    A male shiba - 39,5lb, 48cm - is used for breeding, and multichampion is 46 cm here. They looks like hokkaidos...and the price has risen !! 1300 € / 1600€ to get a big big shiba is not correct.
    Also, they use shibas red with pink nose for reproduction. It's too bad.

you can see the biggest shiba ( the red, not the white, which is another breed ) in Indonesia here : he cames from a breeder. In HK and Indonesia, they're often really big :
    http://shiba.over-blog.com/article-taches-bleues-langue-chiens-japonais-primitifs-69008395.html
  • ( of course I am not racist of too big shibas. I'm just saying there's a difference between an eventual litter from them and breeding.
    I don't like the turn of the breed in France. You can just look pics and you'll see some kind of german shephred, not real shibas :(
  • edited April 2011
    I think that's a Korean Jindo but Julie thinks it's a shiba. at the pet expo the shikoku booth was right next to the Jindo booth and they looked a lot like big cream shibas. if you search google for korean jindo they look a lot like those pictures, however, the face/cheeks look more shiba.
    http://www.buzzle.com/images/dogs/types/korean-jindo.jpg
    http://caninecoalition.com/dog-breeds/Korea-Jindo-Dog
  • I was just wondering about this -- took Kuromame to a gathering of Shiba Inu on Oahu, Hawaii (you can see pictures of this first anniversary of/at Shiba Inu Hawaii) -- Kuro at almost age two is just a few ounces under 30 pounds and he looked like a giant compared to the other Shibas -- a neighbor has a red Shiba Inu and he's even taller than Kuro (both from the same breeder but different parents) --
  • aykayk
    edited April 2011
    @MrMcFly

Actually, Jindos do *not* look like big cream Shibas. And the pics on the caninecoalition.com website, which was taken from wikipedia, are not of typical Jindos.

The following are pictures of the white female Jindo that was at the Pet Expo, just in different settings. She has a very good head for her style.

Here are some pictures of some other whites:

I hope you can see that the proportion of the head to the rest of the body is drastically different from Jindo to Shiba.

Plus, in Jindos, the tightly rolled tail or double-curled tail is very frowned upon and is selected against.
  • aykayk
    edited April 2011
    Here are some direct comparisons between Jindo and Shiba.

Female Jindo against male Shiba:

Male Jindo against male Shiba:

And just for kicks, Shiba, Jindo, and American Akita:
    (hope their owners don't mind me outing them in the photo)
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for the pics! Really interesting! I think at a quick glance for someone who wasn't familiar with the breeds, I could see how someone could mistake them....I think I might even wonder if I just glanced at them (as in the female Jindo/male Shiba) if I just looked, I'd probably say, wow, giant, slightly odd looking Shiba! *lol* But when you really look, you can see the head shape is quite different, tail, etc. And the neck is very different too.

Great pics!