Kekko meeting boar

This weekend we went to the boar yard and Kekko got to try hunting for the first time :). All this is really new for me as well.....I'm no hunter, I just wanted to see how Kekko will do with boar. It was really exiting and Kekko loved it. He went after the boar right away, no fear. And he was really quick and skillful in dodging the boars attacks. I guess he did great for the first time.
Have any of you tried your Shikokus with boar? Well Shigeru of course knows everything about hunting ;), but anybody else? Would be really interesting to hear about the first contact with boar...
I add some pictures as well :)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Photobucket
    Following...
  • edited April 2011
    Photobucket
    Getting ready to attack
  • edited April 2011
    Photobucket
    Close one :))
  • That is really cool Stina. I would be excited and/or worried though, as I always am, that the boar would get the dog.

Kekko looks great. In the US, I don't think that there are many places where you can go test like this (at least not that I have heard of!)
  • edited April 2011
    Well Kris, I was also worried. Specially cause I had no idea how Kekko will react or what the boar will do. But in the boar yards, the boars don't have tusks and they usually use younger boars to train dogs. After I saw some other hunters trying their Dachshunds on the boar, it was not so horrible anymore :).
    Although the boar acted totally different, he basically ignored the Dachshunds, but tried to attack Kekko all the time - guess Kekko also went on stronger...
    This is a shame you have no place to test dogs on hunting, its really fun and dogs love it....this is what they are bred for....hunting.
    I'm not sure if I will ever let Kekko participate in real hunt - I'm no hunter :)), but for sure we will go to visit the boar yards and maybe take hunting test :)).
  • That's AWESOME! He looks fantastic in those pictures...very confident which is impressive for a green dog. Especially given the size of that boar. Please do keep us posted if you go back, I'd love to see how he develops his skills. :-)
  • edited April 2011
    Like Dave said Awesome pictures! Yeah it's sad we have no place to test it. Plenty of wild boars out in US, but those got those nasty tusks..

Kekko being new he did a great job from the looks on the picture.
  • edited April 2011
    Very cool! Great pics - next time you need to get video too! :o)

There are plenty of people in the US down south who keep boar for testing dogs on.

----
  • If you're testing a dog on boar in the US, it should be with the intention of training the dog for boar hunting. Otherwise, it crosses the fine line into hog-dogging.
  • That is super cool! Yeah not too many places to do that here in Cali. I had hogs to train my Kishus and there are fenced hunting areas where I take my dogs for training. Not too many pics and vids on Shikokus going after hogs.

I think Kekko has potential there so keep at it!
  • wow! great pictures, that boar is BIG.
  • That's so cool. I have to take my dogs to Estonia someday or find place like that in Finland. We already have mechanical bear and elk. I know few boar farms here, have to ask from them if they let my test my dogs with their boar.
  • Very cool! That's very scary looking boar! Great photos.

I haven't tested my Shikoku yet but eventually, I'll take my dogs down to Gen (@shishiinu) to train with hogs. =p
    I just wanna test Shoushuu and Kotomi but I think I might actually wanna try (boar) hunting with Shuran. Will have to see how it goes but I think Shuran has a harder mouth and more drive for this kind of thing.
  • brilliant pics, they came out great and that boar looks enormous.

from what I seen most japanese boar hunters don't use neck/chest protection on their dogs which I think is a necessity in NA or outside of Japan where the boar is large and 1 or 2 attacks could probably seriously hurt or kill a dog of NK size
  • One of the reasons prtection vests are not used much in Japan is the availability and fitment. Japan has the eurasian boar which grows large and most mature boars and even sows will have tusks that will rival any thing found in NA. Most hogs here in NA are feral or hybrid of feral and eurasian hogs.

I have vests for my Kishus but the fitment is geared toward a more broader chested dog like bullies and pits so its kind of uncomfortable. You'll also see that most NKs that hunt boar are good a staying away from a hogs face.

Corina: Hog season will kick off again in a week or two. Time to get out there!
  • @shishiinu - Gen, do you plan to keep a hog for training this year?

I think Nio appears to have some hunt in him, I think he could be a promising boar dog. I'd love to test him and get a feel, that would help me know who to pair him with for breeding a potential (Kai Ken) hunting litter.

----
  • I am planning on getting another hog early summer. Koyuki is starting to show more drive but she just started her cycle so I'm going to hold on a bit.

I also found a place in NM that is loaded with hogs so I maybe making a trip either early summer or the beginning of fall before all the hunting seasons start off. Maybe we can do a NK hunting trip????
  • @shishiinu - Oh cool, well if you are open to it I would love to meet up with you and get your opinion on Nio's possibilities. Maybe see how he reacts to a boar through a fence or something. I would look to you for advice on that as I have no idea what I am doing.

As for your NM trip, hell yea! Just keep me posted on the dates, I'd love to meet up!

----
  • Thanks everybody, I think I was as much exited as Kekko :).
    Kekko did very well for the first time, he has the drive, but lacks in persistence and experience of course, hopefully this will improve.
    Thats great you do have training yards over there, I would suggest to try if you get the chance. I don't think any protection vest is needed in the training yard, as I said the boar are without tusks and Shikokus are really quick :). Kekko did get a little snap from the boar :), I guess it was a good exercise to keep more distance :)
  • Nice pics of Kekko! :)

@shishiinu & @ShikokuSpirit - looks like our So Cal meetup might be a test the dogs on hog kind of meet up? :)
  • @shishiinu makes sense. I figure it wouldn't be too hard to make some protection yourself, I know kishu in particular are super agile but I wouldn't wanna risk it.
  • I'm up for a hog test...I'd be curious to see if Kurenai has it in her as Koyuki seems to.

Jesse
  • Very cool pics! I'm totally up for a hog test, but there are no hogs around here. I keep wanting to go down and visit Gen, but it might be a while before that's practical.
  • @hondru - visiting Gen also means getting to see and visit Sosuke's brother! Which you should definitely do :)