Kishu Crazy

edited April 2011 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)
So it took a while, but after my boyfriend and I spoke more and more about it, we decided out of all the Kai, Kishu, and Shikoku, the Kishu had really grabbed us the most.

Between videos, pictures, and descriptions, BOTH of us started to fall in love with the breed and even though a Shikoku introduced me to the world here, I've gotten a chance to email and speak to Carleen at Kishu Ken-nel a handful of times and she said she could put me on a waiting list even though I probably won't be looking to add another dog until next spring (though, if I feel ready enough to do it before then and I have the opportunity, that'll be great too - I'm just not holding my breath).

She's trying to get in touch with some Kishu owners close to my area because I'd REALLY like to see a Kishu in person and see how they act with their "people" and just generally... BEHOLD one, I suppose, before it comes time for a puppy. I can't even REMEMBER all the questions I asked her, but she was very nice every step of the way and tolerated my rambling (I'm horribly awkward on the phone) so well. :)

So... there's that. I just wanted to announce something happy since my last post was gross. o/

Comments

• Awesome, I think if you are willing to spend the time and effort into owning a Kishu it will be a great experience. If you live near socal, you are more then welcome to come see my Kishu pack.
  • I'm really excited but I don't want to rush anything - I want to make sure I'm ready before I bring another pooch into the house! (Obviously).

Unfortunately, I live all the way on the other side of the country - in Rhode Island - but if I get to visit my SoCal pals before puppy time comes around, I'd love to take that offer, should it still stand if/when that happens!
  • Sounds good. I hope it works out to where you can get a nice Kishu pup. I have been owned by them for awhile and they are my number one pick as a hunting dog and as a companion.
  • I feel a bit badly because I didn't have many plans as far as working the pup. Carleen mentioned getting into agility (where she felt Kishu might excel), so I may do that. Do you have any other suggestions on what activities, outside of hunting, would be good for a Kishu?

I take my boys (a Malamute and a mixed-breed) hiking most weekends and we go for long off-lead walks every day (this is in addition to being able to go to work with me and play all day). I know Russell (my mongrel) is always ready for more more more running but London (the mal) is usually beat and needs his beauty sleep at the end of the day. I expect a Kishu to be on the higher end as far as energy level goes, but how much running around time would you recommend/how much do you give your dogs?
  • edited April 2011
    Congrats on the decision!

I seem to recall there was one Kishu owner somewhere on the east coast ( @Kenshi I believe ), but I could be making that up. It's been a while since Cliff has been on the forum.
  • There is an awesome agility program at Canine Mastery in Seekonk. I love them over there. Good luck on the wait.
  • @dlroberts Thank you! I'll keep my eyes out o/ Carleen said the closest ones were north of Boston and somewhere in New Jersey - neither are really too far to travel.

@JessicaRabbit I've heard of Canine Mastery before - I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Agility is probably good Saya my shiba inu loves doing agility stuff we do it for fun I made my own weave poles, bought a jump and plan to get a tunnel soon, but at saya's dog classes they had decent amount of agility stuff and it was fun working with her to go over the different things.

Saya's top three favorite thing was the dog walk, tunnel, and a frame.

Good luck with things I bet your kishu will be great pet.
  • I wouldn't worry so much about having something planned out for your Kishu to do before you get her. If you want to do agility then give it a try, but don't feel like you are somehow wasting some dog potential by not doing it.

Tomoe is great with people, but she goes CRAZY with other dogs.

That's a very big challenge for training her. She has been making progress with obedience classes, slowly, but the thing is, she just can't stay focused on me in class with other dogs. She is just too receptive to the other dogs' energy, and a bit slow to switch her attention to me when I need it.

She is very obedient in the house, and loves to play games for treats. When she is outside, though, she is like a teenager who is in the middle of trying to beat a boss monster at dinner time. "COME ON there is like a rabbit or a frog over here somewhere. I'll come in in a minute!"

And good lord, if she gets LOOSE...

She got out of my parents' house the other week. Neighbor two doors down comes by after we rounded her up and says, "Well I was looking outside my kitchen window and I saw this white streak go shooting by. Then five minutes later, about eight deer come charging the other direction and the white streak is right behind them."

But honestly, she's a very happy dog if you give her a walk or two every day. She likes to walk around the same circuit and keep tabs on all the various leaves and trees. She's a great companion dog. I think adding a dog to the pack might be good for her.

She's been good with her crate since day 1, and we've lately been able to leave her in the back room without her going to the bathroom...would like to leave her at large when we are out of the house.

• @Kenshi Tomoe is too cute! I love her little wooo in the second video. It's a cuter version of my Mal's "arouwl".

I think one of the reasons I'm drawn to the Kishu is because it sounds like they're a mixture of London and Russell's behavior. Sort of like Lodon's type of primitive/punky attitude with Russell's intensity.

Any dog I have is going to have a lot of running-around time - on or off the lead - but when a bit of stress on was put on agility/activities (to be fair, I asked), I guess I went a bit nuts. I won't want to "force" a pooch to do something for fun that they obviously don't like, so I guess I should relax and just play it by ear. I'm getting this dog to be a companion, after all.
  • I think a Kishu will fit in just fine. Lately Taro has been hudini due to a female dog in the area thats probably in heat. I think I just built a new fence on top of the old fence. Koyuki is content on being in the house and running around in the yard. It seems that female Kishus have more attitude than males, kinda funny.
  • The challenge will be to get your Kishu to focus on you and decide that what you want her to do is the best thing. Tomoe is like a kid with ADHD - she keeps her senses open to everything in the environment and tries to process ALL the data. She is also afraid of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with the possibly exception of me when i am trying to catch her (though I swear I have never yelled at her after she's gotten out or refused to recall). Oh and baths; the only time I have ever seen her shake and quiver is when she hears the downstairs bathtub running.
  • Yeah I agree agility is not a must, but if you want to try it out go for it. Agility is not for Saya, but she does like to do it for fun.

I like kishu breed too coarse all Nihon ken are pretty neat.

You can do lots for fun with your dog work on tricks, obedience, scenting whatever you and your dog wants to do.

Luckily with this forum there's a few people who own kishu and can give you first hand info on the breed. =)
  • As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually looking forward to the difficulties. I really enjoy seeing a headstrong dog and I really feel there's nothing more rewarding than when they decide that what you're telling them is the "best thing". (People in my neighborhood are still pretty sure I'm magic because my dogs have decided that they like to listen when I ask them to stay outside the coffee shop while I go in.)

I feel like the hurdles help you to get closer to your dog. Maybe that's why I've been attracted to the Japanese breeds. The bonds they have with their owners while still - very much - having their own personality is amazing... but of course it doesn't come without work.

Every time I read the comments on this thread and look back at the older Kishu threads I get more excited, so I'll take that as a good sign!
  • This breed does not exsist in my country and i don't know why? It has to be one of the top dogs around for wild boar hunting. Firstly its colour...,most of the Kishu today are white and white is the best colour for hunting with because you can see your dog much better in the dark and also in the thick bush. The Dogo argentio is also white and for the same reason its breeders used the pyrenees to get the white gene. But there are so many other good factors that have been bred into this amazing dog. Strong prey drive is evident when I look at youtube clips posted by the Walrus but also share grit. They look small enough to get through tight bush and have enough coat on them to sustain them in sub alpine hunting and below the snow line. Also I imagine their coasts give them some protection against nasty thick gorse,blackberry,hawthorn,bramble and other mean plants. Love the look of these dogs.
  • edited August 2011
    Maybe you can be the first kiwi to hunt boars with a kishu in nz. I'm sure that if you can find out about what it takes to import a dog there, either Shigeru or I can help you acquire one.