alternate protein suggestion?

Hilo and Ruby both have a stomach bug. Both have been to the vet. They are on antibiotics and a prescription Probiotics, and had iv fluids. Hilo is coming up on the end of his and is returning to normal. Ruby is taking longer partly because we are stumped with regard to her bland diet. She is super allergic to chicken and eggs. We have been giving her pumpkin (pure no additives) rice and a tablespoon of her kibble (Orijen 6 fish). We are going to swap out the kibble for boiled hamburger. But any suggestions of an alternate "bland protein" would be appreciated.
Miko is fine BTW. Kid has a cast iron stomach.

Comments

• How about fish fillets? Sometimes you can get them frozen at the grocery store in a big 10-lb box.
  • edited April 2011
    Have you tried lamb, it's easier on the stomach than cow. Cow may be a bit heavy and could cause stomach upset to sensitive/healing stomachs. You may want to try putting her on one of those bland diet kibbles to simplify things, or check them out to get a better idea of which meats are commonly used in such cases. Like for example, the Wellness Simple diet for food allergies has the meat choices as either lamb, duck or salmon. I also heard that venison is good too
  • Did you try tofu? Ruby is about 40 pds a little less right? So she only needs max 15-18 grams of protein. I'm calculating this based off of humans so I may be off. But tofu should give her about that. You can also put in some spinach. I'd ad some broth to make it taste better.

Peanut butter will also give her a good shot of protein and may help her to not lose weight.

I hope Hilo and Ruby feel better soon.
  • How about some sort of cheese? Water packed tuna fish?
  • Could do fish caned salmon, sardines. Caned fish does have salt added to it so I dunno.. I usually give Saya caned salmon or sardines once a week I usually put water in the can and squeeze it out with the lid..

Saya says she loves those plus raw smelt too. They're small and the bones are so tiny never hurt her..

Could buy fish fillets and cook them and smash them up with their rice or whatever your giving them.

My old vet always suggested rice and ground beef so I dunno..

Is tofu alright for dogs? Tofu might be good if it's light on the stomach.
  • Oh saya good question. If it's a breed that's susceptible to bloat maybe not.
  • Tofu's not a bad idea. You can give them some cottage cheese, too, if they aren't sensitive to dairy.

I'll second the fish though. When Bel was so sick with her liver problem, I ended up giving her white fish filets (pollack) that I boiled and mixed with rice and some pumpkin. I'd come across it as a suggested "liver cleanse" diet, I think by Dr. Jean Dodds, for dogs that were having liver problems. Of course, you're not having that problem, but it seems like it might be gentle enough for them.

Sorry to hear they are sick, and I hope for a quick recovery.
  • Thanks for all your input. I of course posted that and then went to a 12 hour shoot and didn't check the post until much later. During that time, Jay spoke with the vet, then went and bought and boiled some hamburger. Boiling it apparently removes the fat making it much less rich. Ruby gobbled it up, and hasn't pushed out any more soft serve today. We are also kicking around the idea of rotating in some other kibbles to help the kids out.
    I have spent the greater part of my evening reading dog food labels, and assembling a list of dog foods that are free of grain, chicken, and eggs. So I will likely rotate in some Canidae, Instinct, and or maybe Evangers. Man they love to print the labels in tiny fonts.
  • I agree with the boiled burger. In my experience, lamb is more greasy/rich in comparison to ultra lean ground beef, bison or venison, but it depends on the source. White fish would be my first choice for a bland protein, followed by ultra lean ground beef.
  • About a year ago we fostered a pit/mix who seemed to be allergic to everything plus he was pretty bad with the mange. The only thing that didn't turn him instantly pink was *boiled* bison meat mixed with brown rice & pumpkin.
  • Huh! Bison. We will definitely have to try that!