White Shiba or...

edited April 2011 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)
I was looking through Petfinder and found two dogs that were courtesy-listed by the Shiba Rescue in TX being adopted out by the owner.The owners wrote that both dogs were purebred Shiba they got from two different breeders. The second (a black and white dog) looked like it could be a Shiba cross but the second... well...

Blurb from the owners:
"White Shiba approximately 50 lbs- 6 years old. He has not been neutered and has always been an outside dog with an igloo to sleep in. He is very calm and gentle. He has not been worked with much as far as leash training but is very responsive if someone had time to spend with him. He has been living on a 5 acre ranch for the past 4 years. He escaped once and was run over- broken leg, but healed well and no health problems. We bought him from a breeder in Oklahoma and have had him since he was about 12 weeks old. He has no bad habits- loves attention. We have a smaller black Shiba who is the alpha and manages Buster's every move." (Petfinder page)

I've never seen a Shiba THAT big and his shape/coat type don't look too much like the Shiba I'm familiar with... I know it's very unlikely, but could this be a Kishu/cross? Or do you think it's a not-to-standard Shiba (or possibly some other mixing)? Anyway, I thought he was interesting! I think the listing is old, though? It says they needed to go before Jan 1st - I don't know if that's of next year or this year. If so, I hope they found homes and the listing was just neglected.

Comments

• The white one looks like he could be a Shiba/Jindo mix. Not too sure about the other dog... Maybe some kind of Shiba/BC mix?
  • @sunyata yeah, I can't believe I didn't think Jindo first! They're not common where I am, so I guess I forgot about them. Jindo/Shiba makes a LOT more sense.
  • Kind of odd that if the owner got them from a breeder that he/she would list them as the wrong breeds.
  • @ayk - Breeder in Oklahoma sounds like it could very well be a puppy mill. So it could be a mix and the breeder just did not disclose that, or it could just be a large Shiba from very bad lines. Never know. Either way, he is quite handsome and I hope he finds a good forever home.
  • Well, the term "breeder" doesn't necessarily mean much. It could have been anybody selling her those dogs, saying whatever they want and it sounds like she took their word for it. Who knows what the real story, but that is certainly not an ordinary shiba. Very pretty dog, though.