XS for a shikoku harness?

edited June 2011 in Products & DIY
I have the Ruff Wear Approach pack, size small, and it's big on Rakka. Same with the EasyWalk Harness. Size small, too big.* Rakka doesn't strike me as an extra small dog. Anyone else have these products for their shikoku, or similarly-sized dog? What size do you use? Rakka weighs ~35 pounds.

*Correction - the size medium EasyWalk seemed too big, although I figured out that it is the fact that her pulling on it loosens it. She also fits into the tweener s/m size. Currently, I am using the medium on Rakka and the tweener on Sosuke.

Comments

• I remember asking Brad about what size ruffwear harness Kona wears. He told me he wears a small, and that Ahi also wears a small, and Ahi is huge! lol

Hopefully he will chime in and let you know!
  • Yes, Loa, Ahi, and Kona wear a small. The small is kinda big on Loa, she can wear an xs too. It has more to do with the chest/neck size than the length. We don't pack Loa, so the size is not as important. If we were to pack with Loa we would probably use an xs.

If you are planing for your male Kai pup, I would plan on a small as the chest of male Kai tend to be robust.

I hope that helps.

----
  • I have a small on Tyson (46 lbs), XS on Joey (30 lbs), and XXS on Lucy (16 lbs). The XXS is at its max setting for Lucy, the XS is comfortably in the middle for Joey, and the S is in the middle on all adjustments but the tummy strap for Tyson which is as tight as it can get. He has a pretty highly tucked tummy due to being kept at his working weight.
  • Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I'd get XS for Rakka and use the smalls on Sosuke. I have a collar that was slightly too big for Rakka, so I'm hoping Sosuke has a big neck, too. Little brother always gets the hand-me-downs. :o)
  • so probably an xs for Juno, then? What fits Haru?
    I have been waiting for her to grow a bit more before investing in her Official Ruffwear Harness. She is a svelte girl and is 17-18lbs at 4 months, She wont ever be as big as Kona in a S. but is already bigger than Lucy XXS.

It is very strange having a little dog...everything for Rei & Sage is at the least Medium ( Sage's Ruffwear), and usually Large, or XL. We've never bought an XS anything!
  • Koda is 55 pds and a small. His chest is deep as a Kai male should be. I would plan on a small.

Mei is 40 pds and an extra small. Her chest is not as deep as kodas.

One side note. Koda is svelt. His waist is tiny so I had to take the waist strap in some.
  • I'm probably planning on a S for Kyuubi at full grown.

I have a question about the ruffwear harnesses, at least for the packs. Are the packs removable from the harness?
  • The Ruff Wear Approach pack isn't removable, but the Palisades pack is.
  • Chrys - I agree with Tara, I would expect her to wear a small once she is fully grown. Haru wears a small. The only adult Kai we have that doesn't wear a small is Kumi. I think an XS would work fine now until Juno is a year or so, then I'm guessing you will need a small.

@jujee - The "Palisades Pack" has removable saddles. That's what we have for Kona, Ahi and others. Sizing is the same as the harness - plan on a small. http://www.ruffwear.com/Palisades-Pack?sc=2&category=13

----
  • I've got an XS webmaster harness coming in the mail for Rakka and a S approach pack, so I can try both.
  • Look at how close these two are in size now! Sosuke's a big boy!

IMG_2013
  • Wow! How much does he weigh now?
    picking up Mika is so easy compared to Kyuubi.
  • Oooh Palisades pack. Now I know what to buy Ichi (and Kurenai) for his birthday.

Jesse
  • I wish the Palisades came in green like the Approach :(
  • Rina,
    While I agree with you because green is my favorite color, the last thing I need is camoflauge on my Shikoku for someone to mistake her for a coyote or wolf while I'm hiking. I wouldn't put it past a few people in this world to shoot first, ask later.

Jesse
  • That's why you buy 2! Green for highly populated areas, red for hiking.
  • I have the palisades pack. Hands down the best pack IMO.
  • edited June 2011
    I got a scare by a hunter while hiking a while ago. He pops out of the brush and says "I thought that was a fox" and points to Conker. I always tie something bright red or orange to him now whenever I'm in the woods.

I want to get one of those Ruffwear harnesses for Conker. He's about 20 inches or so around the chest, I guess the XS would work for him.
  • Got the new XS webmaster harness. It looks a lot different from the one I bought a few years ago. It barely, barely squeezes onto Rakka, but not comfortably, and fit Sosuke quite well. So, I'm thinking they changed their design and possibly their fitting, because the Small Approach pack is tightened as far as it'll go and it's too big for her.
  • Hmm, good to know. I already ordered an XS webmaster harness for Kyuubi and was thinking about investing in one for Mika, but from what I read on this thread she would need an XXS. Now after your post I'm wondering if she will be able to fit the XS. I should be getting it on Wednesday so I'll find out then :)
  • I think I'm just going to get an S and if it takes a few months for her to fit, so be it.
  • edited June 2011
    Mika's a small shiba, ~17 lbs and a girth of about 19" but a XS webmaster won't click on the middle buckle. anyone have suggestions? It barely touches the buckle without stretching, but I don't want to make it too tight and squeeze it on. help?

Nvm the strap was stuck on the other side and wasnt loosening up. :)
  • I think their sizing has changed. My older shibas who are 26-31 lbs, have xs harnesses and gear and they are roomy on them. I got another xs for the puppy who is about 19 lbs, and it fits her, but there is NO way it will fit comfortably on my adults. They had to have changed the sizing since I last bought from them.
  • how are you guys liking the palisades pack? it looks to be the best one out there and i see some good reviews already.
    im thinking of getting that one for my shika when he gets older. i guess the shikokus would fit a small from what i read above, but i guess it would be best to wait till hes fully grown huh? ill do my best to resist.

this one was also recommended to me at the local pet store, but i think the palisades is better.
    http://www.rcpets.com/rcpets/index.php/browse/category/id/Pack#main_panel

if anyone knows of any other brands of dog packs that are worth checking out, then please chime in!
  • I had a small web harnesses for sasuke that I put clips on so I can change top packs.

I made three tops that could be swapped with for clips. One for general packing, water bladder, and weights when I wanted for him to beef up by weight training. I really like the durability of ruffwear.

Sasuke was 35lbs shiba and it was a little big so I had to cut and adjust the straps to fit him.
  • edited December 2011
    i was at cabelas the other day and the palisades pack was on sale for either 65 or 70 bucks. i was planning on waiting till he was full grown before buying it because i was thinking that by then there might be a newer model but it was such a good deal since the regular price there was 115.

i ended up buying the small size as was recommended on the board and it seems to fit him just right. im able to get the harness on nice and snug but its almost at the tightest settings.
    anyways how tight/snug should it be?

anyways here are some pics taken from my phone. ill take some harness only shots later!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

• Nice, I want...Wish there was a deal like that by me, really want to get one for Tikaani
  • edited December 2011
    @jikjak,-I would trade it back in for medium, cause your boy will get bigger. Inu uses a medium and he is an average sized shikoku.
  • If he outgrows it, I'll buy it off of you. :-P

Jesse
  • oh no, i thought that the shikokus were all using small sizes, even ahi, who is considered to be a big shikoku.
    its a long drive back to cabelas and i dont know if there are any mediums left. ill try giving them a call.
    how big is inu and much does he weigh?

@crimson02 - ill let u know what i end up doing with the pack.