Met A leonberger Yesterday!

edited March 2011 in Other Breeds
Yesterday I went to the wolfpark by the battleground area in Lafayette Indiana and met Monty sloan's Leonberger pup.

She was so gorgeous and well behaved he had her in the observation deck while Mr.Klinghammer talked about the wolf park.

She was so sweet with the kids there too also as he was leaving I got to pet her she sniffed my sleeves pretty good must smell Saya and Bella she really liked being petted. =)

Her name is Madeley I got her puppy picture from my wolf park newsletter she was so cute! lol

Never met one till now thought I'd share my experience I knew there was one member who loved the breed her.

What are your thoughts on the breed?

Here's a video of puppy Madeley playing with chumley
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1691788690174

Madeley I met is now much bigger then in this video.

Hope the video can show up right..

Comments

• That's pretty neat. My bf met a Leonberger a while back and wants one now.
    I don't know too much about them, but if I was considering getting one or if the bf was set on getting one I'd research the beejeebez out of it like I did Shibas and now Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Catahoula Leopard Dogs... I tend to get obsessive about the dogs I like.

I did meet a Ridgeback in a petstore the other day. She was amazing. I about had a heart attack when I saw her XD
  • we have a leonberger at dog training called dukie he is such a laid back boy. they are really sweet dogs from what i can see.
  • They are a sweet dog, but I think by now they are pretty far removed from "livestock guarding" and are kept mostly as pets or therapy dogs. I know they can make fabulous family dogs and the few I have met have been excellent with smaller dogs and wonderful with children. They are not at all intimidating in spite of their resemblance to some of the other real guardian breeds.
  • I'd rather have a CO. :oP
  • My thoughts on the breed - In a totally nutty move, I have come to consider them a kind of alter ego... :-P (but then again, I'm an idiot...)
  • There used to be an older Leonberger that went to the farm I walk my dogs at. I'd see her every now and again and I BELIEVE her owners got a second Leonberger. The female I met always seemed very kind and complacent towards people, but the man never seemed to trust her with other dogs very much.

We have a dog coined as a "Leonberger cross" that comes to work all the time and... unlike the polite lady who went to the park, he's a nutter. He loves to antagonize the smaller dogs and he's quite protective of "his" people (most notably, his owner when he's picked up or dropped off).

Out of the two, I like the latter rather than the former... if only because I see more personality out of Nigel. BUT... man, that puppy is adorable. :/
  • See, with a CO you don't have to worry about whether or not he/she will be good with strangers (4 legged or 2)... You just know they will not. LOL... That's dependability!

(I'm totally joking here)

----
  • There' a Rhodesian Ridgeback who goes to the dog park she was pretty nice and easy to spot.

Yeah the Leonberger I met was really calm and friendly with everyone. =)
  • WHILE... I can spam... I managed to snap a picture of Nigel, the Leonberger Cross from work. He's a tall, leggy boy... but he doesn't seem to have much weight to him. I sometimes wonder what he REALLY is (and if he has any Leo in him at all).

• Woo! Look at that tail! :) Whatever he is, he is a cutie. :)