Dyson DC24 Ball Animal Vaccum

edited March 2011 in Products & DIY
Not sure how many of you have a Dyson, but there's a good deal for it right now. Kevin just purchased this and hopefully it is something that will definitely help us out with all the pet hair :P

If you don't have one and want to get one for a reasonably good price, it's being sold for $299.99. There are limited quantities.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2762147

Comments

• I have a Dyson as well....highly recommend it. I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond using one of those 20% off coupons that they send every week, even though Dyson products were excluded from the coupon...I got lucky.

I just need to find something that will work better on the couch. I think I might try one of those giant evercare lint rollers.
  • edited March 2011
    I have the DC25 Animal ball!! I LOVE it! It works great. I have 2 cats (one long hair and one medium haired) and now 2 dogs and it sucks up all the hair no problem. I actually got it this past year on sale for that price :) The attachments are very helpful for the steps and couches.

I def recommend the dysons!
  • I have the DC25 too and that is a very good price. It works well. And during this time of year, it gets a workout with 2 double coated dogs and 5 cats!
  • I have the DC25 from Costco and it came with the kit I linked. I use the mini-turbine head on upholstery and it pries the fur off of my microsuede couches really really well. To the point where I love vaccuuming!!!

Jesse
  • @CrimsonO2 I thought I was a freak because I now LOVE vacuuming with my DC25! Glad Im not the only one :)
  • I hope there isn't much of a difference between the DC24 and 25. Figured this was a good price so would get one. :P
  • From what I understand...the DC24 is the smaller model (smaller canister) but otherwise pretty much the same. It probably makes it easier to carry up and down stairs. I think my mom as the DC24 All Floors and she loves it. With all my animals I NEEDED the bigger one...and that is an FANTASTIC price :)
  • Ah, well, it hasn't made me "love" vacuuming yet. @kait0585 and @Crimson - you are always welcome to test your love of vacuuming at my house, LOL!

That being said, it is very manuverable and lighter than my old Hoover. :-)
  • Yeah, we are moving soon (hopefully) all the bedrooms are upstairs. I figured since the DC24 is smaller would be easier for me to carry up and down the stairs ! lol
  • I have the DC25. One thing I don't like about it is the short cord (relative to my old Hoover WindTunnel) and how the pet attachment can't be stashed on the machine. The cannister is smaller than the other older models, but that's the trade-off for lighter weight I guess.
  • @ayk - oh, yes, I wish the cord was longer too. It is a pain compared with my old Hoover. Otherwise, it is a good vacuum (except initially it is hard to figure out how to do somethings when you need to take it apart! Lots of hidden buttons and releases)
  • We are on our 3rd Dyson. We have the DC23 Animal now, before that we had the DC25. We like them, they work well, tho they tend to clog with hair for us - but we have an extreme use-case here.

I don't think the Dyson is that great for dust tho, it works but it's not great. We have a LOT of dust here tho, so I dunno that any vac would be able to deal with it. For dust, I think a bag vac is better but still a PIA.

We've actually started using a shop vac to get up the hair and dust then the Dyson for "finishing".

----
  • So how well do these things work on hard woods? I am guessing by Brad's response that it is not so well? I have a lot of dirt here as well. (Back yard is pretty much a mud pit in the winter and a dust pit in the summer)

Right now I have an Electrolux canister that I absolutely love, but I have limited closet space and if I could sell it and get an upright that worked great on hard floors, I might just do that. Plus I like the idea of having a small beater-brush attachment. Plus I could use it on the stairs. Right now, I am in no shape to take a canister vac up and down stairs... So I have to sweep the dirt and fur down the stairs, across the basement, and out the door.
  • edited March 2011
    @sunyata I use mine on my hard wood floors all the time. Doesn't scratch them at all...as far as I can tell anyway. When doing my hard wood I turn off the brushes on the vacuum, I think this helps with it not scratching the floors For me it does a great job picking up the hair (both the animals and mine) ...but I only have 2 dogs and 2 cats...nothing like what Brad has :)

Oh also my mom has a DC24 All floors. This past Xmas she used it to clean up the tree needles...a big NO NO. It of course got clogged!! It started making some awful noise. She called the people at Dyson who instructed her how to take it apart (super easy) she found all her needles in the bottom part of the vacuum. So moral of story...dyson also has very friendly helpful service :)
  • @kait0585 - Thanks! I will keep that in mind... I wonder if they have a trial period or anything?