Launch of the North American Shikoku Club (NASC) website!!!

Hi All -

Just wanted to let everyone know that the North American Shikoku Club (NASC) website has officially launched today.

To view the site go to: http://www.shikokuclub.org

While I'm making this announcement, I really had little to do with this launch. So, special thanks to Osy ( @Sangmort ), Chrystal ( @Wryly Brindle ), Shigeru ( @TheWalrus ), Dave ( @dlroberts ), Corina ( @ShikokuSpirit ), Kris ( @Edgewood ), Peggy ( @Shikoku1 ), and everyone who submitted pictures! I think the site looks great!

----

Comments

• very cool
  • Nice site guys! Keep up the excellent work. Maybe one day I will start up a Kishu club huh.
  • It looks amazing!

Thanks for all your hard work, guys! :)
  • Awesome site. Thanks to all who put this site together, it came out really great:)
  • edited March 2011
    Great site! Passed the info to some Northern CA/NV Shiba folks.

• Nice Site! Great to have all of the useful information in one place. I have a few great pics of Kimi from Akashima if you have a place for them.
  • Wow! It is looking good! :) Good job to everyone involved!
  • Very nice website. Good information and lovely design. No need to guess who made the shikoku design, right Chrystal? ;)

Good work!!
  • Nice! That is the best breed club site I have ever seen! I really love the Shikoku graphic, it's super awesome.
  • Looks terrific! You all do such a good job, and have beautiful dogs!

Yep, I drew the shikoku. We make great things together when we each do the part we do best. I am glad the site is *live!* now! Shikoku admirers, unite! :)
  • @cmpteki - Osy (@sangmort) handles the site layout. I'm sure she'd be happy to incorporate a few more pictures on the site. :-)

I noticed the webform for the shikoku owners pledge isn't done yet. At the pace we're going, it'll be 6-8 months before that's done. ;-)
  • The website is wonderful, and I love the shikoku Chrys drew! And yay, Rakka's on there! My pup is famous!
  • @dlroberts - We should discuss what the owners pledge form is supposed to do and who is building it.
  • aykayk
    edited March 2011
    I think it'll be very interesting to see how the owner's pledge will be worked out. At first I thought the concept weird, but then warmed up to the idea that it points out that it's not only "breeders" who are responsible for how the Shikoku will fare in the US. Owners of intact Shikoku also play a part in preserving the bloodlines. And of course, owners, no matter of reproductive status, can be very much involved in representing the breed.

I noticed a mention to a breeder's code of ethics on the owner's pledge but not what it is? The COE is not mentioned under the breeder's section?
  • @brada1878 - I agree, let's chat. As we talked about before, I don't think it is a huge priority right now, but we shouldn't ignore it either.

@ayk - The Breeder COE is in the works. We've got a very rough draft, but busy schedules have prevented it from being finalized. The club as a whole, and the website as part of it, are very much a work in progress. :-)
  • Are there ways for all shikoku owners to get involved?
  • @the_november_rain - Per the website, and several forum threads on the subject, any enthusiast/owner is welcome to participate in the club - whether that is during its inception (now) or later as an active member. All one needs to do to be involved is to step forward and volunteer to do something.

That's how we have gotten to this point: Osy volunteered to code, Dave volunteered to work on content, Chrys volunteered to make a logo, Kris volunteered content, Corina volunteered to organize, I volunteered to host a site...

If there is something you'd like to do, be proactive and volunteer to do it. It's as simple as that.

----
  • Speaking of that, Noah has volunteered to build a database for any NKF-related sites. His job is building/maintaining databases for medical clinics, and he's making one for my mom's store just for practice and offered to make one for the shikoku site for practice.

His suggestion is that you collect data on all the shikoku in NA, age, birth date, weight, any health problems, pedigree, colour, and everything else, and he'll put it in a database so that you can use that information in various ways, like easily calculating the percentage of shikoku with hip dysplasia, or the average age at death, or which lines have more of a certain health problem, or whatever else.

He's pretty excited about databases.
  • @hondru - That would be wonderful! You should link up with Peggy as she is collecting some data on her site. Maybe Noah can convert her effort into a DB and expand on it!

I've started to build one for Kai Ken too, so we maybe should discuss over laps and port his efforts to the Kai as well.

----
  • For your reference, National Shiba Club of America COE:
    http://www.shibas.org/codeth.html

There are different types of Data Bases and different DB uses. If there is going to be a master NK related data base, it will probably need to be separated between "NK club internal use" and more general NK-related "linkages". At a minimum, the "linkages" should show the major breed clubs (NSCA for example). I've noticed that most breed clubs follow a pretty similar type of website organization. I can generally go thru a breed website and find regional clubs, rescues, upcoming events, etc. I would think that regional clubs, a breeders list, and breed rescues should be "open data" available to anyone searching the site. The internal workings of a club are "closed" and for members only. My "two bits".
  • Website looks awesome! There's some nice info on there. I also really like the shikoku Chrys drew; it looks great.
  • Dang I would love to see a Kai website similar to the Shikoku one!
    I love database-type websites, they are awesome. I like that idea a lot.
  • It looks great, all. A lot of work.
    Thanks for the open resource.
  • The website looks fantastic. I'm in total awe of you guys. I remember everyone talking about this when i first joined the forum several years ago. Great job, you should all be very proud of yourselves.
  • Great website!
  • @hondru Hi, I am interested in the purpose of the DB. Will it be used to to collect information for knowledge-based purposes, or will it be used for future purposes, i.e. breeders can use the information to calculate the probability of the progeny having hip dysplasia (which has been difficult as hip dysplasia is a polygenic as opposed to monogenic trait). Since the Shikoku population is still small and in the early stages of development here in North America, would there be interest in the community to collect DNA samples of the existing dogs (swab samples) for the study of diseases?

Anyhow, I am babbling, sorry, I get this way when I start talking about science. In the database, perhaps it would be informative to not only write down the qualitative descriptions from OFA (good, fair, etc.) but to actually get the raw measurements. I don't know, that is just my two cents, I just thought it would be interesting.

If there is anyone interested in hip dysplasia here is an good article just thought I'd pass it along. If anyone wants the scientific articles (you need to pay for a subscription) let me know the name of the article and author and I will email you the pdf.
  • The site looks amazing!!! Great work to everyone that put it in!! You guys are very good!!