Parka! My Boerboel...

edited May 2011 in Other Breeds
The pup in the crate in the video with Haru's pups is the mystery pup. If you can accurately guess what he is I will tell you who he is...

I'll give you a hint, he is not an NK.

*Anyone who I have told the story of "Mystery Pup" already, is disqualified from the game. (Jen, Jess, Heidi, Dave, and Osy...)

----

Comments

• aykayk
    edited March 2011
    I almost asked about that crated pup in the Haru thread. :-)

Anatolian? Boerboel?
  • Is it another Cane Corso, just brindle??
  • edited March 2011
    He's some kind of...Mastiff? ;) lol

Edit: After looking at pictures, I'm going with Boerboel too.
  • edited March 2011
    Molosser breed :P everyone already guessed what I would have.
  • edited March 2011
    Brazilian Mastiff?
  • edited March 2011
    I'm guessing a brindle Cane Corso. Or a really weird looking Kai (yeah I know its not a NK). Does the winner get a Kai pup or what?
  • Hmmmm all I have to say is I like Tika's tail, though it looks like it'll be a maki-o.
  • @shishiinu lol! oh man that would be awesome ;)
  • ok, just spill it. I noticed the pup as well, but figured you would spring it on all of us when you were ready.
  • I'm devoid of guesses... I got so wrapped up in the puppy cuteness, I lost the ability to distinguish the non-Kai from the cute Kai pups... Sorry, perhaps it's obvious.... Come on, Brad... Game over... Tell us now!
  • I would have guessed Fila as well, only because when I was in Taos Brad and I saw a flyer or something like that (vague recollection).
  • aykayk
    edited March 2011
    I was checking some of Brad's old posts (and feeling like a stalker lol). He said he doesn't like the houndy look of filas. :-)
  • Mastiff of some sort....Reminds me a bit of my friend's English Mastiff when he was a pup but I don't know. I'm gonna say cane corso too, but do they come in that color? (Ok I looked it up. Apparently they can be tan and black, but would a young pup's face be more wrinkly?) Fila makes sense as a possibility.

Tell us, tell us!
  • Do tell us! And I LOVE their little tails!
  • No idea, but I'm guessing he's going to be your potential trail guard
  • haha... Ann got it right away, I kinda knew that would happen.

He's a plush-coat Boerboel. His name is "Parka". Plush-coat is a recessive trait in the BB, like the long-coat of the Bullmastiff or Akita.

We're making changes to our guardian setup here. The temps are higher than normal most of the time now, and we've found that we use the CO less due to the warmer weather, and use Blue more. So, we are down-grading our CO (cold weather guardian) setup and up-grading our warm weather guardian setup.

We'll have Luytiy and Masha, and Blue and Parka.

This has been a work in progress, you'll remember Zeta and Chupa, who were supposed to fill the role Parka should fill. They didn't fill the role properly tho. I've been looking at other options for awhile now. Looked at Anatolians, Kangals, Presa, mix-breeds, ABs,and BBs. I actually never thought I'd own a BB, as they are pretty clingy...

But let me take you back a bit, I have a friend who is a Protection Dog trainer. She breeds BBs and uses them for PP work (NOT sport work). I've talked to her on-and-off about getting a BB, even before Blue, but we had both come to the conclusion that a BB wouldn't fit here (due to their Velcro quality). Seeing that she breeds so rarely, like every 5 years or so, I figured I'd probably never get to own one of her dogs anyway.

Well, long story short, we have kept in touch (because she is super cool). She had a litter, but I didn't know about it. In the litter was a plush-coat pup and as he developed he was also much more aloof than the other pups. When they were around 6 weeks old, she called me and told me she had THE pup for me. I didn't even know she had a litter!

Anyway, she felt he would work great as his coat makes him more tolerant to cold and his aloof temperament makes him a better fit for our needs (but not a great fit for PP work).

So, he's here with us now. He's 4 months old and REALLY GREAT. He's only been here 2 days, but I can already tell he is way more aloof than Blue and Chupa, and he is more of a guardian than Zeta. So, it is looking like she was correct - time will tell tho.

I'll post some pics of him soon, I have a really cute video of him with Chase too.

----
  • Congrats!
  • Congrats, looking forward to seing pics and vids :D
  • Neat! Can't wait to see pictures of the guy.
  • Nice! Congrats Brad. Definitely want to see more pics on that guy.
  • Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics:)
  • Awesome! I am glad that she recognized the traits of the puppy and was able to find a perfect home for him! :)
  • Too bad you didn't live in NY... you could have your share of Pit Bulls as protection dogs! The animal shelters are full of them around here- it's a huge problem, really sad. :(

I met a Boerboel once last summer, at a dog walk. She had advanced osteocarcoma but was so dignified... she must have been in excruciating pain, but didn't show it AT ALL. Her pain tolerance was incredible. She was from a breeder out in western NY- I think pet lines, not working lines. Really nice dog (but I wouldn't want to get on her bad side, lol).

The kai pups are adorable... so roly poly!

Jen
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks all!

@jenz - We have tons of Pitties in rescue here too, unfortunately Pitbulls are not a guardian breed. Non-guardian breeds cannot really be trusted to perform the function we need otherwise I would have gone with a Pittie in a second.

----
  • Ok, prepare for cuteness overload!

----
  • His breeder did a great job in teaching him how to be gentle. :-)
  • Um, yeah.... Pit bulls are greeeeeeat guard dogs
    HPIM2318
    oh ruby, have you no modesty?
  • Chase is too cute! :P
  • That's so interesting... I always thought Pit Bulls made good guard dogs! Really not so much, huh? I live in a (smaller) city and I always see pits barking crazy when I walk my boys by, so I assumed they were good at being watchful and protective of their homes (although maybe it's just more of a reactive behavior towards my dogs?). Hmmm....

Jen
  • Most dogs, not just pit bulls, will bark at passing dogs, unless trained otherwise.

My Shikoku will bark at everyone who passes. Of my three dogs, the only one that doesn't bark at passersby is my pit bull.