Eowyn is a picky eater - what to do?

Hi all,
Eowyn is kinda picky about her food, actually she seems to only like the things which are not good for her. I am feeding her Taste of the Wild, but plan to change between different variants to keep it more interesting.

She will not eat enough, and she is already on the thin side. This would not worry me if she didn't have such a small appetite. She is a young dog and is not supposed to be fat, rather a little towards the lean side. But I worry that when she doesn't eat enough she will loose weight and might get sick or at least have some effects of not eating enough and therefor not getting enough nutrients.

I have tried to add salmon oil, which she likes and she will eat a bit more, but her interest has already lessened. And I do not like to add too much yummy (=yucky) stuff to her food. It's not so good for her, and it will spoil her a lot, so she will never go back to plain kibble. I have also added a little dried meat, to make it more tasty, but I would like to hear your opinions as well.

How much would you add to make your dog eat? By that I mean, where would you draw the line?
What would you add?

Or wouldn't you add anything at all?
Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• edited March 2011
    When Conker began to get picky with his food I put a bit of plain yogurt in it. He ate it for a while then he'd just lick the yogurt off and leave the kibble. He also had allergies to something in it (Orijen, so who knows what it was) so I switched him to raw. Now he eats too fast and I have to try to slow him down.
    So I guess the line for me is completely changing his diet XD

I don't really know how to get a dog to eat kibble. I gave up on that one pretty quick since I'd read about how a lot of people tried a ton of kibbles and spent a ton of money only to have their dog continue to be picky.
    You could put peanut butter in it maybe? (NOT Skippy low fat! They had a salmonella recall recently.) Maybe putting it in some sort of fun toy that she has to work on to get out, make it seem more interesting?
    I also tried using Conker's kibble as training rewards. It worked for the most part but I wasn't really up for feeding him dinner one bit at a time.

Sometimes he wouldn't eat it if it were in a bowl but if I dumped it on the ground he's scarf it down. Try putting it on a paper plate, a mat, or in your hand and see if that makes a difference.
  • Tuula is picky sometimes as well.
    We feed some high-quality kibble, some raw. She loves raw, usually tolerates her kibble and detests and despises any vegetables.
    I used to worry about her starving. It helped when she got hot spots and I added fish oil to her kibble. Yogurt helped as well. But eventually I got pissed off at her for being such a punk and would just save her uneaten portions for the next meal. Usually, this would work after one or two meals. Sometimes, our garbage disposal (the Labrador Retriever) ends up with her uneaten food.
    Try to be tough. She won't let herself starve. Maybe add something she likes (raw egg?) to the mix. Good luck!
  • It's tough. I had an Akita years ago who was a super picky eater and it was really hard to keep weight on her. That was before I knew about raw feeding, so I tried everything, and she finally did a little better with a fish based kibble with fish oil or seal oil on it (that was when I still lived in Alaska, hence the seal oil!)

Bel, my girl Shiba, is like this as well, and she won't always eat her raw meals, but since they get kibble rarely, she almost always eats kibble. She will sometimes not eat for an entire day, and then only a bit the next day, but then when she gets hungry, she starts again. She will almost always eat pumpkin or sweet potatoes, though, and she likes cheese and/or cottage cheese.

I don't really have advice except keep trying to find things she likes....All my dogs seem to enjoy fish so that might be something to try.

I know, in theory, that dogs won't starve themselves, but I will say my female Akita got so thin that it was worrisome (and my vet at the time accused me of not feeding her enough!). Once, we kenneled her, and when she hadn't eaten for four days, they called us to come and get her! It can get bad with the "anorexic" dogs...

For me, I don't worry to much about spoiling them--I'm just more about trying to get them to eat anything!
  • Thanks for the advice!

I cannot use her kibble as reward, since she doesn't want to eat anything in training or treats at all, I'd have to force it down her throat, which I am not fond of. Dumping on the ground doesn't work either :/ She's a difficult case...

I want her to have a raw diet, but I cannot start it at this time for several reasons. First, I live with my parents and they have 2 other dogs, and it would be a big circus!! Second, I have been warned by quite a few breeders to not feed big breed pups raw, since they will grow too fast with all the proteine and might have weak bones!

I'd lean towards being tough and just take her food away if she is not interested, but she has to eat! She is already a bit thin, and though I have no intentions of fattening her up much, I'd be afraid of her loosing additional weight. On top of it being worrisome, and unhealthy, I will be starting her showcareer in april (she is bought as a show dog and I love showing) and she will not do well, if she is too skinny :(
  • Hmm, I thought raw had lower protein % than most kibble, but I could be wrong.

Past few days Mika hasn't been eating her raw. It really upset me cause she usually scarfs it down. I figured she might not be getting enough variety since I still need to purchase a freezer chest so I can carry more variety for her. The first few times that she wouldn't eat Kevin would give her bits of kibble or Stella and Chewys freeze dried dinner patties. After that she kept refusing her meals but would always take treats. I got fed up with it and stopped with all treats and took her food away after 30 minutes. She barely ate yesterday, but when I got home from class last night, I told Kevin to put down her food one last time and yeap she finally ate.

Do you free feed her? If the kibble is always there she might not want to eat yet. I know it sucks to watch your pup walk away from food and not eat, but she will when she gets hungry. Mika was also on the thin side when she was younger but she is starting to fill out now.

Hope it works out for you.
  • She might be starting her first heat. Our females are always picky when they are coming in season. Ife once didn't eat for five days. First day I were totally in panic and took her temperature every day. But because she was fine and as energetic as usual I let her be. Once she didn't drink for two days and she was fine then too (we did her whole blood count, took every test but they were okey).
  • @jujee
    No I don't free feed her, she gets her food 2 times a day, but if she refuses her morning meal I usually offer it to her at lunch time too. I let her eat what she wants (if she wants) and after waiting a bit I take the rest away, as shw will guard her foodbowl if it is still on the floor, even though she does not want to eat what's in it.

@MirkaM
    She might be getting close to her first heat, I don't know. I guess I will know in some time, if this was the reason. When I got her, she would practically swallow it all in one mouthfull if I'd let her, and now she doesn't eat much (for like a week and a half) and it could change back again I guess...
  • it seems to be quite common with the AA's. tbh with venus i found the more i chopped and changed her food to try and find one she would eat the pickier she got. so i stuck to 1 good quality food. i like you also would give her brakfast back to her at lunch time, but still she would only pick at food. when we got mars i stopped that he was a pig with food and even though ven didn't eat well she would resourse guard so she basically got 30 mins to eat and then it was tough for her if she didn't. i was amazed that within a week she was eating 2 meals a day most days. she occaionally will have a off day, if she doesn't eat breakfast she doesn't get it back now. it made a huge difference. i will say that she never eats the amount of food that it recommends to feed her, i always give her it and she never eats it all.
  • hmmmm....Venus, now that you mention it, Oskar, my AA is a bit....not quite fussy, but just particular. He's super dainty about taking food from me, and everything he eats he has to examine first (he'll take it, drop it, sniff it, look at it, etc). And so far, at 9 months, he doesn't over eat at all. He's lost interest in his second meal of the day, and tends to eat more in the morning but not much or at all in the evening....

• "He's super dainty about taking food from me, and everything he eats he has to examine first (he'll take it, drop it, sniff it, look at it, etc)."

This is exactly how Eowyn behaves too!!
  • venus is totally like that we joke that she is inspecting her food to ensure that we haven't poisoned it. athena on the other hand doesn't even taste her food most of the time she will eat anything and that as included the cats poo and plaster off our walls.
  • Eowyn will also eat any kind of poo without examining it. Poo is good! Yuck!!
  • Koda was a picky eater too. I would put down his food in the morning, if he didn't eat it after 15 minutes, then I would pick it up and try again at night. If he didn't eat that night, then he sure as heck would eat the next morning. It took a while and persistance on my part, but finally he is a good eater.

Stay consistent and I would recommend the same food. It's your choice on what they are going to eat not theirs. Stick to your guns.
  • Today's menue for the Murofushi dogs: Blue Buffalo kebble, raw Nebraska tail walker rainbow trout caught last week, chopped freezer burned duck.
  • edited March 2011
    We use Taste of the Wild (salmon dry) w/ very thin slices of Natures Balance beef flavor roll. 3/4 - 1 cup AM & PM. Feeding times are plus or minus 1 hour. The Natures Balance is used for rewards as well. Both Nikka and Rex (GSD) enjoy their meals. Rex gets a tad more. We added salmon oil but it was not well accepted by both pups. Backed off the product. Started adding 1/2 teaspoon to a full teaspoon per serving. Gradually until they accepted the flavor. Mixed all ingredients by hand in the dish before adding a little warm h20. The dishes were p/u after 15 min. if not consumed. This no longer happens.
    cheers
    p.s. we never, never feed them anything but dog food.
  • I guess consistence is the key here, so I will keep on feeding her what I believe is right and taking it away when she doesn't eat, and we'll see how it goes. Hope she will start eating all her food at some point... She is kinda thin-ish, and she is a young dog, so it's not a disaster, unless she doesn't get all the nutrients she needs.
  • And thanks a lot for the advice ;D
  • Tanja,
    How much is she eating...Eira eats pretty good but not like the rest of my chow hounds...I feed straight kibble nothing added in etc.

From reading above...If she skips her breakfast..I would not offer her food again until dinner...If she doesnt eat dinner she waits til breakfast...After 3-4 days she wil figure it out.

Because I have more dog, my dogs eat in the kennel. I feed once a day, BUT...I leave their bowls down there so if they choose to pick at it through the evening they can..,or they can eat it all at once. I feed at night, because during the day hardly anyone is in their kennel, they are out in yards playing.

• @LibertyAkitas
    Donna, she is eating less than what she is supposed to, according to the feeding guidelines on the dogfood. That I am not so worried about, since it can vary from dog to dog, how much they need. But she will eat of her own food, and leave about half of it and if she gets a chance (I try to avoid this) she will gobble the other dogs's food down. So that gives me the impression that she is eating less than she should. She is pretty lean too... She has not lost a lot of weight but I think she has maybe lost a bit since living with Blanka. At Blanka's place she would swallow her food in 3 seconds! But she got fed in her kennel, where she lived with another akita, so that might have something to do with it.

Oh and I should mention that she gets Taste of the Wild and my parents' dogs get the cheapest crap from the supermarket = fastfood for doggies. And I'm guessing this is why it's so interesting to Eowyn...
  • If she were here, and feeding in a kennel was not an option, I would feed her in a crate, in another room from your parents dogs. I would put her in her crate and give her 15-20 minutes to eat. IF she chooses not to eat, she would not get any food again until her next feeding time...no treats, no scraps, nothing. Repeat this at her next scheduled feeding. After 3-4 days I would be surprised to hear she is still picking.

Also, I NEVER look at what the dog food company tells me my dog should be eating...Selling dog food is their business, and the more they tell you to feed, the more food you buy. Eira is eating approx. 4-5 cups of Pro-Plan Performance right now...

HTH
    Donna
  • Eowyn gets about 3 cups a day and she will not eat it all. It seems to be too little to me, especially since Blanka said the pups could eat almost a kg of food each at her place. But how big are the cups you use to measure? I would think mine are 200-250 ml.

And she's a big velcro dog, so she will probaly not eat if she is closed in somewhere. She would be too busy whining...
  • 1 US standard measuring cup is equal to 237 ml

Eira is pretty clingy too...Im working on having her spend time entertaining her self as well as playing with us and other dogs...so far she is doing great. The first week, she hated her "alone" time...Now she doesnt love it, but she accepts it and happily finds toys to play with on her own.
  • WOW Eira eats much compared to Eowyn then... Hmm... Maybe I need to change food brand. She loved it the first week though.

How do you get Eira used to more alone time??
  • I provided her with a ton of toys, and put her in an area she couldnt destroy...For the first day she howled and I felt awful and almost gave in...but about then..she found a toy and started throwing it up in the air and playing...

Don't get me wrong...she always prefers to be by my side :) But I wanted to make sure that she could happily entertain herself
  • Eowyn is a major howler too. If I leave the stable to feed my horse, she will whine or even howl loudly even though she's with the other dogs and maybe even my father too... xD Silly doggie. Now she likes to play more outside by herself, but when she doesn't think that's funny anymore, she turns into this whiny beast. I refuse to let her in, when she's whining, because I don't want to teach her that she can just whine and I'll come to her rescue, so sometimes she gets quite loud before turning quiet again for a bit so I can let her in.

It breaks my heart, but I cannot have a dog, that doesn't know how to be alone. She gets better by the day, so hopefully it will not be problem for long... :)
  • Tanja; Contrary to popular opinion above, I suggest you try some companionship for Eowyn when she eats instead of feeding her alone. Our Kai, Josephine seems to be picky and sometimes won't eat her food. However, we've found that when we (my husband or me, or both of us) sit near her (and better yet, are eating our meal) she tends to eat her food very well. And it works even better when another animal is around (even if not trying to get her food)... we find she will eat all or most of it, and quite quickly. We noticed this when my daughter's cats lived here for a time, same thing when we boarded our son's dog at various times before he moved to Canada. I even noticed it happens now when my 18-month old granddaughter is here and walking and running around (even though the baby so far has not proven to be a threat to her food!)... You may just have a doggie who craves companionship! Another funny thing about Josephine... one of my daughter's cats loved to eat the kibble, so Josephine would leave 3-4 morsels for him... Same thing with our son's dog, she would also leave a small amount of food for her (and of course Frannie, being a "vacuum cleaner" dog and eating every morsel of food in sight) would consume the remains! Best of luck with it! I think she will discover her eating pattern! I always think it's nice to have a dog that does not over-eat... much easier to manage things that way, and I agree with others... she will not let herself starve!
  • I wouldn't recommend that "eating together" thing. Dog should be able to eat alone. I remembered that in one Victoria Stilwell episode there was a dog who only eated when there was someone with him and it has come a huge problem for the family.
  • @baanton
    I think she does eat more willingly when the other dogs are in the house with her, since she doesn't want them to take her food (and I make sure they don't come close, because I don't want her to feel like she has to swallow it in 2 mouthfuls to prevent the others from stealing it).

I have also found that she eats much more willingly in the evening. Today she ate her whole meal alone in the hallway and she ate it all and licked her bowl. She has eaten all her food in the evening for some time now. Maybe she is not a big morning eater, and I have used the method of taking the food away after like 15-20 minutes if she doesn't eat it. Maybe she is starting to get it ;)