Acute Diarrhea...Hurray.

Tuula developed some diarrhea in the last couple days. It started off mild, but it's gotten worse. WIthout taking her to the emergency vet, what can I do to relieve this? I am giving her small amounts of imodium every 12 hours. any other suggestions? I don't think she ate anything stupid, but you can never tell. She is unsupervised in the backyard sometimes, andoccasionally, the dogs will chew on sticks and stuff back there. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Maybe feed rice and chicken or ground beef and maybe some pumpkin or sweet potato make sure the pumpkin is natural not pie filling kind. Hope things are ok.
  • Damn Kevin quit feeding Tuula raw skunk and possum. I know you want to feed her raw but really? Just joking man, I'm sorry to hear about Tuula, I second the rice and sweet potato diet. I hope you can get under control bro.
  • If it persists for more that 2-3 days, even with the special diet, you may need to either bring Tuula into see your vet or at the very least get a fecal test done to help rule out parasites.
  • @shishiinu Haha! She does eat some pretty whacked out stuff, but only after I freeze it for a month. Never skunk or possum, though... I won't ever kill a possum. I have no use for them and I'm glad they're there just to keep the woods clean.
    Next month's menu includes groundhog. I'm sure the dogs will love it.
  • No luck. Vet visit tomorrow. Boo!
  • Damn hope it gets sorted out soon.
  • Me too. I hate going to the vet as much as I hate going to the doctor for myself.
  • How is Tuula doing now? Any better?
  • Kayla took her to the vet yesterday. He said he couldn't feel an obstruction, so he eventually diagnosed an infection in her colon. Yuck.
    He gave her antibiotics, but I think her body was already beginning to fight the infection. She is responding well to the antibiotics and is, in large part, back to her old self. I knew she was feeling better when she jumped over a couch in our hallway to get to the kitchen rather than walk around it. It made me sad the last few days to watch her lethargically walk around that stupid couch.
    She's eating well, too, and enthusiastically.

Thanks for asking!
  • By the way, Tuula finished her first heat at the end of the month. Considering breeding her, perhaps next year. I'd like to maybe start a thread about that and about the kind of people I want to own her pups...
  • so great to hear that she's doing better so fast!

My how time flies...it seems like yesterday you brought her home. Now she's done with her first heat?!?! Yikes!
  • I'm so glad to hear she's doing better!

Exciting with puppy plans, gonna be fun to see how Tuula babies will look like ;)
  • So glad to hear she is doing better.

And it is a little scary at how fast time goes by with these pups! :)
  • That is a good update!
  • Right on Kevin, glad to hear Tuula's back in the game. Tuula pups huh? Those pups will be some good hunting dogs for sure.