Trip to Akashima Kennels!

Well, my wife and I have officially put down an deposit on a Shikoku pup! We are number 12 on Katja's wait-list so depending on litter sizes we will most likely have to wait until next year to get one. Here's to big litters to speed it up!

I thought you might all enjoy seeing some pictures from the trip up. We live in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, so we drove up to Port Angeles and took the ferry to Victoria, BC. Stayed a night there, visited Butchart Gardens, and then drove up to Courtenay to see the pups. Fun times!

It was a beautiful day as we departed from Port Angeles...

Photobucket

When we walked around Butchart Gardens, Koda (our Shiba) looked like she belonged there!

Photobucket

High tea for two?...

Photobucket

...make that three!

Photobucket

Another shot of Koda...

Photobucket

And now to the kennel - Kuma was a beautiful black sesame Shikoku:

Photobucket

Sato, a beautiful Shiba

Photobucket

Sniffing

Photobucket

The Shikoku's were very friendly. This one's coloring made it look a lot like a big Shiba

Photobucket

Another shot of Kuma

Photobucket

And another...

Photobucket

Pretty shibas - if Koda lived outside she would probably be this fluffy too!

Photobucket

Another shot of Sato

Photobucket

This Shikoku was very friendly

Photobucket

Finally got to meet a Shikoku in person!

Photobucket

Friendly Shikoku!

Photobucket

Our Shiba's ears do this when she's happy!

Photobucket

Shikoku pack in the snow

Photobucket

More Shikokus

Photobucket

Eating time

Photobucket

Intrigued by the scarf...

Photobucket

Pretty Kuma

Photobucket

Totally looks like my butt is getting sniffed here...

Photobucket

Comments

• These are awesome pictures!!!! Where is this kennel located? I really like the black sesame color! To me, the darker the better! I might have to get a Shikoku later down the road too. -_^
  • The Kennel is in Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada. It's about 3 hours north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. Here is the website: http://www.akashima.bc.ca/

I really like the black color, too. Unfortunately I guess they are one of the rarest!
  • Great pictures - and congrats on getting on the waiting list! :D

Gotta love this photo - check out the boy in the background:
    http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/KodaandMugen/183097_10100170926743263_3214790_54150594_879178_n.jpg
    Haha...

Yeah black sesame is really a striking color, and it is also my favorite of the shikoku colors! :)
  • Nice pictures! I have a daughter of Katja's Kuma, she is also colored very similarly to her father and is just over a year old now. I waited 3 years for her. My Kuma is a more traditional red sesame. I think both are very pretty, but I guess if I had to pick, I do like the black sesame.

Shikoku are very interesting dogs and I am glad that I have mine.
  • Awesome. I am quite jealous! Maybe one of these days I will be able to take the trip to meet Katja and her pups. :)
  • Nice pics! Here's hoping you don't have to wait too long ;o)
  • Great pics! Hope that you dont have to wait too long!
  • Congrats on the trip! Koda looks like he had fun Saya and Bella loves going to dog friendly restaurants after a nice walk.

I'd love to go to her kennel nice to meat so many shiba inu and shikoku.
  • Thanks for sharing the pics of your journey, and the pics of the doggies! And your Koda is beautiful! Hope you get the large litter wish, so your wait is shorter.
  • great pics!
    if all goes well i should be headed there to pick up a pup this year!
    here's to more big litters!

im waiting for a nice black sesame. i want as little red as possible hehe.
  • Love the pictures. Thank you for sharing!
    I too am hoping for our Shiikoku pup this year, and again hoping for a black sesame. Kuma is stunning.
  • he sure is, i think kuma and kimi will produce some beautiful pups.
  • edited March 2011
    @jikjak - Katja's Kuma and Kimi did produce great puppies, as I have one as does Jessika (@the_november_rain ). They are both a year old (about) and I have the female and Jessika has the male. There was also a black and tan female from that litter on a spay contract.

Here are pictures of my Sachi in my webshots/facebook albums and also at my website (in signature)
    http://pets.webshots.com/album/576958978vKIpcr
    https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=40356&id=1659815966&l=a9062748b5
  • edited March 2011
    here is InuYasha

@jikjak Terence, glad to hear you're getting your puppy soon, been a long wait for you.

• Awww, pretty boy! My favorite picture of Inu :)
  • Wow, more great pics. Kimi and Kuma pups - they did turn out nice! That is the pairing I am waiting/hoping to get my pup from.
  • oh wow! i never realized your pups were sired by kimi and kuma!
    such beautiful dogs! can i see more pics of all those pups?
    where did the black and tan end up? id love to see how he/she looks now.

seeing your dogs makes me want to wait a little longer for their next litter.
    ive waited quite a while and ive turned down pups during the process due to timing because i had to do a lot of travelling for work but this year is looking good after april and im quite excited.

@november rain, do u plan to update the links on your previous posts? id love to see some of those pics!
  • edited March 2011
    @jikjak yeah I am in the process of uploading all the pictures and videos. It takes forever when there are so many of them. Sure I can update the links.

The black and tan went to New York. Yes Kimi and Kuma pups are really nice!