Heavy water drinker?

Anyone's shika a noticably heavy water drinker? I swear my little girl drinks her weight in water (really more like 4-6 cups). Her appetite is still healthy, her energy level on par with Shika's (through the roof) and her stool is firm in shape but soft to handle. Anything I would need to be worried about?

Jesse

Comments

• Are you home with her during the day?
    My lab drinks loads of water when I get home. I guess he just waits.
    It could be a # of issues, but maybe you could consider a urinalysis.
  • Just a lot of outdoor walks for potty? Accidents in the house? My son's dog, a rescue, (about 54 lb., mix of collie, german shepherd, yellow lab and who knows what else) had this issue when he first adopted her. We all came to realize it seemed to be a nervous habit brought on by stress, not from excessive thirst at all. When Frannie came to stay with us, we would move the water dish up on the counter after we knew she and Josephine had plenty of liquid. Same thing overnight... the water dish would be up out of reach or emptied about 8-9 at latest. As we worked on this form of conditioning, she gradually altered her behavior (with a little backsliding now and then, of course). Of course, you do want to rule out some physical causes (I know very little about animal diseases... can they get diabetes?)... But I would say its worthwhile to move the water dish when you are comfortable she's had enough. Especially if the potty trips are becoming excessive, or you are having accidents.
  • She's fine about pottying and no accidents. She did have a bladder infection as a puppy before but that has since cleared up. I guess that combined with my distrust for her bladder control left me not wanting to leave her with water while she's crated for 4 hours at a time. I'm going to change that now that she's a bit older and I can trust her more (knock on wood).

Jesse
  • I think Koda and Mei are camels. They go for hours without water on hikes, even when I offer it to them.

It could very well be a nervous habit. Does she have anxiety at all?
  • Well idiot me realized that I was controlling her water by not leaving any in her crate when I was out to prevent accidents in the house while she was on bladder infection meds.

Now that I leave water in her crate while I'm out she's more relaxed about trying to gulp down as much water as she possibly can.

Jesse