The injustice of food flavours!!

I have long been thinking about why the heck all the healthy foods (for dogs as well as humans) always are the ones that seem to be less popular or less tasty, however you wanna put it.

Fx because I am not able to feed raw at the moment I bought some premium, high-quailty, grain free food for Eowyn, buuuut if she can manage to steal my parents' dogs' food, which is the CHEAPEST from the supermarket, she will gobble it up in two seconds, and if she has a choice between the two she will pick the supermarket crappy food.

I mean I know that it's typical that the fastfood type kibble will go down faster and more willingly, but I think this is a fault in the universe that healthy foods does not taste the best! Whyyy does it have to be difficult to go down the right road? Here I also include myself. I want to eat healthy but I am mostly tempted by the things I should not eat. NO FAIR I think :P

Sorry for my ranting - which really has no solution since we cannot alter the way food tastes. But am I the only one who's frustrated by this?

Comments

• Basically, it all comes down to what the company adds into the food. Many of the high quality stuff doesn't have the additives that the cheap crap have. A lot of companies that manufacture the cheap stuff will add in some sort of sugar, which is very attractive to dogs and helps cover up (to the dog) the fact that it's not very healthy. I bet that if they didn't add this stuff to the cheap food the dogs would be more willing to go for the good stuff.

• I know this, but I meant that I think the fact, that the healthy food tastes less exciting/good than the crappy foods, is the injustice. I mean I know the reason the dogs prefer the crappy food, but why, when the world started (however), did some-one/thing decide, that the unhealthy stuff should taste better... That's unfair ;) I mean, sugar = yummy, but not healthy in big doses. Veggies = healthy in any dose, but (at least to me) tastes worse...
  • I have to watch, hold or put Conker in a different room when I feed my Mom's dogs since he's food aggressive and will try to bully them out of their nasty nasty Pedigree. He gets raw meat twice a day so I don't fully understand why he acts so aggressive towards the Girls and their crap kibble.
    I guess it's the slimy fat they spray onto the kibble that makes it smell and taste good... The stuff that makes crappy kibble so nasty to touch. The month or so that I fed Conker Orijen I'd scoop the stuff with my hand if I couldn't find a cup but not my Mom's dogs food.
    I switched him to raw because he had allergies to something in the kibble (I stay away from corn, wheat, cooked chicken and potatoes as a rule now), he'd get random loose poops and he just didn't want to eat it. I'd use yogurt and mix it with the kibble but he'd lick it off.

On the other hand, I love healthy food. I grew up eating mainly healthy stuff and only ever got candy or junk food like, once a month. To me it just doesn't taste that good. I guess eating only heath food for my entire childhood adapted my taste buds for healthy stuff. If I eat a burger and fries from Mc. D's I feel nasty. If I eat chocolate I get pimples on my face, shoulders and back. I could go on but the biggest thing is I just plain hate junk food that I simply won't eat it.
  • I can relate. Why does pizza taste so much better than steamed brussel sprouts? Oh, what a world. For what it's worth, Rakka was actually really skinny when we got her and her previous owners explained that they free-fed Purina. When I started feeding her Orijen, she gobbled it up like crazy, so I guess it turned out she just didn't like Purina!

Treats can be the same, but I've really just found that dogs prefer the smelliest treats, whatever they're made of, and there are plenty of smelly, healthy things.
  • @Losech
    Oh what I would give to prefer healthy food, but I don't. I looove the taste of candy, crisps and chocolate, aaaand yes, fastfood. Not necessarily McD (I can feel nasty too if I eat too much of that) but pizza (BIIIIG favorite of mine) or homemade burgers or other not so healthy foods... It would make my life sooo much easier if I actually wanted to eat the healthy stuff ;)

@hondru
    Yes the smelliest things are the BEST - in doggy brains anyways. I think about a third of Eowyn's diet is horsepoo, catpoo or even dogpoo, that she finds and eats sometime during the day on walks or when she's loose in the garden. Not really the food I'd want for her, but she is sneaky! :P

My premium dogfood is nowhere near as popular! XD