Great Life Dog Food

The kids are on a new kibble now. I first received some Great Life Buffalo Dog Food back in November. I used up the bags I was given, and then went back to Acana (which I think is a great food). But not long after, Koda got his dandruff back and I had to start supplementing him with Omega 3's and SeaMeal to get rid of the dandruff. It seems like any kibble in his diet can create dandruff, and in a perfect world (which is not mine) he would be on 100% raw.

I went back to Great LIfe last week, and dropped the supplements, and already his coat and skin are looking great. Not to mention Koda and Mei both seem to love this food. They would actually eat more than they are supposed to of this. I put down the bowl and it's gone. Before both would let kibble sit until they had to eat it, or Koda would skip meals until he could come home and get raw fed. I don't have to worry about this anymore. So far, from what I know, I give this food two thumbs up. It's pricey, comparable to Orijen.

Here's the description/ingredient/nutritional breakdown. They haven't been reviewed on dogfoodanalysis.com yet, and claim to have freeze dried raw (not sure if raw still keeps it's nutritional value after processing, but here's hoping).

To help you take your pets back to an age when they were lean, healthy, allergy free and active from eating nature's perfect GRAIN-FREE diet, we have created Great Life's Grain/Potato-Free Dog Food Diet. As with our other dog food or cat food, we have a unique process that allows us to bring you the raw foods your pets crave layered on a grain free kibble enclosed in wild salmon base. NO refrigeration needed. Look at the ingredients and you'll agree this food will help your pet live a longer, happier and healthier life.

Lab Analysis: Great Life routinely checks for Micro-toxins, Heavy metals, etc. at a certified facility- Midwest Labs an independent third party. We do tests for all E-coli, Listeria, Salmonella, Staph aureus, Yeast, Mold, etc. Midwest Labs also analysis products for toxins such as: Ethoxyquin, Aflatoxins, DON (Vomitoxin), Fumonisin, Ochratoxin, T-2 Toxin, Zearalenone and more and BHA, BHT. All reports show Great Life is a very clean product line and free of any of the listed problems.

Additionally: Midwest Labs showed Great Life has an extremely high level of active enzymes, probiotics and healthy nutrients.

Food Process- Freeze Dried Raw Food Nutrient Complex Saturated in and around Every Kibble
We bake our kibble at a temperature range of 175 to 205 degrees allowing for the destruction of pathogens while not destroying every nutrient. Through extensive testing, we determined the correct temperature when the pores of the kibble expanded to maximum. At this time, our custom freeze dried nutrient mix featuring Organic and natural proteins, fruits, vegetables, enzymes, probiotics, berries and more is saturated completely in every pore and around the entire kibble. This allows for a greater concentration of active nutrients allowing an animals’ system to receive all the nutritional benefits of Great Life kibble. By keeping the moisture content on our freeze dried below 3%, we are free of any problem.
This is the reason Great Life is considered a power packed the Super Food!

Great Life Performance- Our foods are very active! Consumers switching from commercial brands must transition slowly onto Great Life, usually 2 -3 weeks. If you transition to fast your dog may clean out waste products too fast.

Facility
Great Life is delighted to announce the purchase of its own pet food production line from a private pet food manufacturing facility by Midland, TX. Our Great Life production facility is certified by governmental agencies for the production of pet food.
Great Life production line will continue the high quality of products affiliated with Great Life.
Our products are tested for all contaminants from an Independent lab and nutrient activity levels. Great Life products are known for very active nutrients and have been informed by the lab our pet foods contain an unequalled amount of live probiotics and enzymes.
Great Life has also an Equity stake in the company.
Great Life has never had a recall and makes every effort to satisfy our customer’s needs.

Features

•Kibble: Buffalo, Tapioca, Jicama, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Yams,
•Blueberries, Cranberries, Kelp, Parsley, Artichoke, Fennel, Rosemary
•Nutri-Coat: Freeze Dried Raw Food Saturation System:
•Buffalo, Buffalo Liver, Pumpkin, Squash, Parsley, Papaya, Chia,
•Kale Sprouts, Broccoli Sprouts, Red Clover Sprouts,
•Fenugreek Sprouts, Sunflower Sprouts, Barley Sprouts, Spirulina, Inulin,
•Digestive Enzymes,Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Pectinase, Lipase, Phytase, Xylanese, Hemicellulase,
•Alpha-galactosidase, Invertase,Probiotics-
•Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Lactobacillus Rhamnosus Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Bacillus Subtillus Fermentation Product Dehydrated Wild Salmon Oil.
•Vitamins (Dl-methione, Lecithin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement,
•Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamone Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin
•Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Calcium Pantothenate,
•Choline Chloride, Manganese Picolinate, Copper Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acids Chelate,
•Iron Amino Acid Chelate,Selenium)

Guaranteed Analysis % Basis

•Crude Protein-min 29.00
•Fat min 12
•Fiber max 4
•Ash 6
•Calcium 1.27
•Phosphorus 1.17
•Moisture max 10

•Vitamins
•Carotene MG/KG 5.29
•Vitamin A IU/KG 23616
•Vitamin D IU/KG 2433
•Vitamin E IU/KG 128
•Vitamin K MG/KG 0.75
•Ascorbic Acid MG/KG 50
•Thiamine MG/KG 14.3
•Riboflavin MG/KG 9.69
•Pantothenic Acid MG/KG 20.83
•Biotin MG/KG 0.521
•Folic Acid MG/KG 0.612
•Choline MG/KG 3366
•Vitamin B12 MG/KG 0.126
•Vitamin B6 MG/KG 4.4
•Niacin MG/KG 72.98
•Iodine MG/KG 3

•Amino Acids
•Methionine-Cystine 0.985
•Methionine 0.63
•Cystine 0.355
•Lysine 1.687
•Tryptophan 0.325
•Threonine 1.824
•Isoleucine 1.392
•Histidine 0.722
•Valine 1.638
•Leucine 2.554
•Arginine 2.166
•Phenylalanine-Tyrosine 1.418
•Taurine .017

•Minerals
•Sodium 0.409
•Potassium 0.673
•Chlorine 0.887
•Magnesium 0.258
•Sulfur 0.262
•Manganese MG/KG 30.41
•Iron MG/KG 185.5
•Copper MG/KG 10.18
•Zinc MG/KG 248.9
•Selenium MG/KG 0.501

•Essential Fatty Acids
•Linoleic Acid 2.98
•Linolenic Acid 0.564
•Arachidonic Acid 0.074

•Probiotics
•Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Lactobacillus Rhamnosus Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product Dehydrated
•Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product
•8.2x10.6 CFU/gm

•Digestive Enzymes
•Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Pectinase, Lipase, Phytase
•Xylanese, Hemicellulase, Alpha-galactosidase, Invertase
•not less than 50ug/gm

•M.E. Kcal/Lb 1723
•M.E. Kcal/cup 431

Comments

• Interesting thanks for the review glad it works nicely for Koda and Mei hows the price for it?

I like that it has bison liver yummy. =)

I'll have to see if the local pet store has it.
  • Glad that they love Great Life and that it has helped Koda's coat and skin! I was given samples when Mika was a pup and she loved it. Sometimes when we go to our local holistic pet shop they will have great life kibble out and give her some as a treat.

We feed her prey model right now, but Great Life is something I would definitely consider feeding if I had to take her off a raw diet.
  • @Saya I get Great Life at a Pet Boutique in Walnut Creek, Wags & Whiskers. They sell only top food products and raw. I'm really lucky to have that store near me. They might have a delivery program. I didn't check it out. In the store a 25 pd. bag cost me I think $72-$75. I also purchased raw, tripe, and dried tripe for training. But I'm pretty sure that's how much it was.

@jujee In a perfect world both dogs would be on only raw. Mei doesn't like it though. Which is a total surprise to me. She loves killing things and eating them. Maybe it's because I'm putting raw in front of her. She looks at me dumbfounded. Koda is not home 4 days a week and can't have raw where he is. This kind've sucks. But it's the way things are for now.
  • Mei sounds cute she's like this stuff isn't food I like the stuff with fur on it.. lol
  • Mei is adorable! She's got personality plus. People definitely fall in love with her right away. But don't let that sweet/funny facade fool you. She's still a Maniac!
  • Yay! Nothing Ruby is allergic to! Most times even if it is chicken free it will have eggs! So happy! Thanks for sharing this Tara!
  • Thanks, Tara! I think we are going to try this too. Kaiya is not seeming to love the Orijen any more and I hadn't come up with another kibble alternative. There is a shop near her puppy school that sells it, so we will be picking some up tonight. The goal is to eventually get her on at least one RAW meal a day, but thats not going to be until we have all of her other issues all sorted our.