Not the pound :(

edited February 2011 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
My shiba (Kiyomi) has been finding ways to escape our yard for about a month now.
She would find a way out, we would block it, and she'd be content for about a day or two, and then find a new way out.
She normally goes to one of the houses behind us to try to play with the dogs, and normally comes home when we call.
Yesterday morning, however, we let her out for her morning pee and she was gone within 5 minutes.
She didn't come to our calls and we had to get to work and didn't have time to look for her.
When we got home we asked some neighbors and found out that animal services had been called to pick her up.
By this time it was too late to get her and she spent the night there.
I got her as soon as they opened today. She looked so sad in the cage there. :(

Something has been really bothering me though, they didn't scan her for a micro-chip.
If I hadn't found out where she was from my neighbors she would've been put down in three days. :/

Thankfully she's home and safe. :)

Comments

• @Loni With all due respect. You didn't have time to look for her?

If I were you, I would be really happy that she's home safe. Who knows what could've happened to her.
  • You may want to take her down to the shelter and see if her chip is compatible with their scanners. Something I've found is that with all the different brands of chips and scanners, not all scanners can read all chips and the shelter may happen to have a scanner that can't read Kiyomi's chip. Also, sometimes the chip breaks or moves. They could have scanned her and came up with no chip number.
  • edited February 2011
    Well I hope you would think to call the shelter if she was missing for even 24 hours so her getting PTS wouldn't even be an issue. And if she already has a history of running off, why would you let her out in the yard alone for even 5 minutes? Glad that you got her back though. My dog got out of the yard and I never saw him again.
  • edited February 2011
    @tjbart: Yes, I know that sounds bad, but my husband and I are both in the military and they don't accept things like "my dog got out and I needed to find her" as a reason for being late. We're very glad that nothing happened.

@okiron: We we're going to check the shelters after we checked with our neighbors. Since they let us know which shelter she was at it didn't get to that point. It also normally takes her longer than 5 minutes to find a way out.

Now we know we can't trust her no matter how short the time. We immediately went out and bought a lead to hook her up anytime she's out un-supervised.
  • "We we're going to check the shelters after we checked with our neighbors."

"If I hadn't found out where she was from my neighbors she would've been put down in three days. :/"
  • @loni: You are very fortunate to get her back and all in one piece. Please understand that not all shelters feel they are obligated to check for a chip. It varies depending on the municipal regulations. Even where there is a mandate to check things fall through the cracks, particularly if the dog comes in injured or the shelter is full to capacity. Three days is the usual standard hold time but it again depends and you can't count on it. Multiple instances of dog coming in from running at large and the shelter becomes less inclined to bid you a call.

Just sayin how it is....
    Snf
  • @okiron: My point was, if we hadn't found out for oursleves where she was we wouldn't've known.

when I asked the shelter about it they said every animal that comes through there is supposed to be scanned.
    She just somehow got missed.
  • She doing good with her tether though. She knows to stay by our side until she gets hooked up.