Hosoda line Kishu ken (graphic).

edited February 2011 in Hunting & Working
Not sure if this video has been posted but a great clip of some of the most impressive Hosoda line Kishus in Japan. I can watch this over andover again. As most know, My dog Taro and Shigeru's dog Baron are both Hosoda line Kishus. Taro is still a work in progress but I hope one day he and Koyuki will become awesome boar dogs.

Took them out today and Taro again missed a nice size hog. It seems that if a hog is over 100# he has a really hard time stopping it. On the other hand we did catch a 60# sow which I ended up releasing. Yuki had a blast barking her head off at the little sow andeen went in and pulled on the sow's rear leg.

Comments

• Ok, that is awesome. The group of Kishu in the beginning were really fast. It's cool to watch them work together.

The Yu Shoku Kishu was a badass. He (she?) was fast as hell too. I love the colored Kishu Ken, it's like looking at what the Shikoku Ken used to be.

Then the white at the end was tough as nails, I lost count of how many times he got hit.

----
  • Yeah I'm a big fan of the Yushoku Kishu also. Koyuki is starting to darken up a bit so she's not a all white Kishu but more of a light brownish white. I need to take more photos of her...
  • Wow Gen, nice find. That was awesome to see. There's something so beautiful about dogs doing what they were bred to do. I love seeing their drive in action, their speed and agility, their tenacity. You can't teach that, you can only give them an outlet for what is already there. Amazing.
  • +1 to what Dave said. That was pretty incredible. Thanks for sharing!
  • Those Kishu were awesome! I've been watching a lot of these hunting videos recently. It's really cool watching them hunt like that.
  • These dogs in action videos are fab! I love watching dogs in action.
  • One day maybe we can have a NK forum boar dog trial.

• Holy cow that was badass!!! I was trying to watch it from my phone yesterday, but it is way better on the big screen. I can see little Miss Mei grabbing on like that. She would love to be able to go after another animal and let me stand around and watch.
  • Awesome video nice seeing a dog do what it was bred for.

What fierce tenacity and endurance!
  • Gen, I'm in the same boat as you are! I love the Kishu Ken. I'm also a really big fan of the Yushoku Kishu too! The Hosoda line is awesome! I can't complain! We seriously need to start a breeding program here in North America for the hunting Kishu Ken, preserving both the white colored Kishu Ken and the Yushoku Kishu Ken.
  • @shishiinu, can't wait too see a current picture of Koyuki, when are you going to post a video Gen?!
  • Looks like too much fun. lol..I think I need to get me some feral hogs to let out into my neighborhood.
  • Yias: I need to stop being lazy and get going on taking more photos of my dogs. I really need a better camera too.

Kaiyak: its a blast for sure but be careful on releasing feral hogs. Its a federal offense to transport feral pigs across state lines and to release. Its legal to have penned hogs though. Maybe you should get some for your new kai!
  • shishiinu : I was just kidding about releasing hogs into my neighborhood. If you saw where I live you would laugh too. We live in the suburbs of NY. Although ????.. Urban hog hunting sounds like fun too.lol I doubt my kai and I will ever see a hog here in NY.Except for maybe the reports I've heard about here on the forum ,which I will have to check into.
  • Urban hog hunting, the safest activity around :oP

Too bad there aren't any hogs around here. I'll have to take hunting vacations. You know, in the distant future when I have a hunting dog!
  • The kishus looked like they were having so much fun :) It must be awesome to let your dogs hunt shishiinu.
  • edited February 2011
    @shishiinu posted this in a thread about Shibas a while back. Just for comparison, I'm posting it here too.

Look at the difference between Shibas, which are sometimes used to hunt boar, but were bred for hunting small game vs. the Kishu that were bred specifically to hunt boar. A few times on this forum I've talked about my experiences training Tyson to hunt birds, and I've said he's a wonderful hunting companion who will be a very functional bird dog when I finish training him. He will never be outstanding at it. The contrast between the Shiba and Kishu in this video highlights exactly what I'm talking about. Could you hunt boar with those Shiba? Absolutely! Would it be fun? Absolutely! Will they ever be as good at it as those Kishu are? Not a chance.

• I am not particularly knowledgeable about hunting in any way, but to me it looks like the shibas are only barking and then running away, they don't engage at all like the kishus. The kishus I've seen on videos have in most cases gone and bitten onto the boar or at least they seem to get closer and be more... well... brave??

But I am not familiar with the hunting style shibas are bred for, so I could be misunderstanding totally ;)
  • Well there are two different hunting characteristcs. There is the dogs that wil hold (Kami dome) and the dogs that bay (hoe dome). I would much rather hae my dogs keep some distance and bay a hog then go in and hold. Dogs that end up biting a hog is much more likely to be injured or die so what the Shibas are doing isn't all that bad.

But you can difenately see the difference in the way the two dogs act toward a animal much larger then its self. Taro is half and half. He will bite and hold smaller hogs but once he finds a hog that is over a 100#s or so its much harder for him to hold the hog and so he tries to keep his distance and bark.
  • I see, so they are just using different techniques ;) I'd definately want my dog to keep out of the way. I'd never have enough nerves to have a kishu like those in the video, they get trampled and I guess the tusks on the boar gets them a couple of times when they are that tenacious and goes in to hold... It's really impressive, but I'd be so afraid for the life of my dog, if I had a kami dome hunter...

Not that I'd ever have a hunting dog, I could never kill an animal! Sometimes it's really a pain, since I'd even have trouble with a mercy kill, to save the animal from pain or suffering. *sigh* I do have sence enough to get someone who can though! ;)
  • @shishiinu - To me the difference between the Shibas and the Kishu wasn't the bay vs. catch, it was the enthusiasm with which they were baying or catching. Those Shiba didn't take pressure from the hog at all. It made a leisurely move in their direction and they quickly backed off. There was no tenacity in their bay. No intensity. The Kishu on the other hand couldn't possibly have more intensity.
  • Yeah absolutely, the Kishu is much more superior when it comes to big game hunting as you can easily tell in both vids. I think this i one of the reasons why I like hunting with the Kishu so much. Even when compared to the hounds I have hunted with, my Kishus have always shown much more grittyness and much more of a higher level of drive to hunt.

What I'm always amazed is the fact that a Kishu can go hustle with a big nasty rank boar and go home and let a toddler play with them while they are relaxing after the hunt. I read the discription for the Kishu as it is written on various different sites about the Kishu temperment and they always say that the Kishu requires to be raised with kids or requires supervision around kids. I seriously have yet to see any of the Kishus I have come across show agression towards kids.
  • Here's a good example of a pair of Kishus bayig a large hog. If I'm correct one of the dogs (Riki) is Taro and Baron's father.

• One thing that I wonder about is whether high pain tolerance, or at least a bigger perspective on what constitutes dangerous, helps these boar hunters know that their humans are not out to hurt them.
  • Yeah Gen, that's a great comparison. Those Kishu were clearly on a mission, loving what they were doing. The Shiba? Not so much.
  • Yeah the Shibas reminded me the first time Riki was put in front of a pig. He was like what the hell do you want me to do dad? Then he figured things out and saw that it was fun to chase and nip at them. Taro on the other hand went to the pigs right away and after just the first nip from the pigs, a switch went off in his head and he started to really bite the hogs.
  • Nice video Gen! I can't wait to have a kishu. There would be so much fun! In my opinion, according to the videos that I have seen of the kishus, I think the conformation of the hunting kishus is much better than the show kishus. I think it is because they are more physically fit!
  • Every video I see of Kishu makes me love them more, I swear. I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but that first video is amazing. I LOVE the energy you see in the dogs.
  • Agreed. I love that first clip.
  • edited February 2012
    @shishiinu - Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why are these Kishu called "Hosoda" line? Is that the name of Taro's & Baron's breeder? Or an area in Japan? I tried to look it up but didn't find much...