venison ?

Next month I’ll be picking up my kai ken puppy. I just have a few questions on what to feed her when she arrives.I know enough to keep feeding her the same food the breeder has been feeding her for a certain period of time.Being that I have a freezer full of venison I would like to know if this meat would be beneficial for my pup? If so at what point should it be introduced? And at what proportion. Thanks I would appreciate anybodies comments on this

Comments

• What food does Rita have them on? I'm so excited for you. Your pup's sister is coming to a woman who lives near me. I will get to meet her.
  • Venison is excellent for dogs. I would feed it with whatever food the breeder feeds. I feed venison to my dogs when I have too much in my freezer.

I would cook the food since wild game meat at times contain parasites. Soon as I cook venison, especially on the grill, the dogs trample over each other to get some.

Congrats on the kai pup, let's see some pics!
  • Congratulations on the puppy! I'd wait a few days till she is used to her new home and you can give her tiny bits of the cooked deer don't want to upset her stomach so start slow and increase it a little as she gets used to it.

I feed Saya raw and fed her raw deer before it was freezer burned deer from 2009 some from 2007 too.

Lot people say if it's frozen for a few months it kills the parasite, but I'd say it's best to feed cooked since your pup will be kibble fed..

Though any bones are unsafe cooked I believe.
  • edited February 2011
    LoL, pretty cool that a Kai will be living so close, maybe one day I'll get to meet your pups in person

So long as the meat has been properly frozen for about a month, it should be safe for the pup to eat. Though if you do have too much meat in your freezer, I can always take some off your hands for my pups, lol ;)
  • Oooh! New puppy!

As for the meat, I think Beth said it best...

My two absolutely LOVE venison jerky... So if anyone wants to get rid of some (and have already dried it), I will happily let them take it off your hands. :)
  • Can you ship venison? I still have a deer and a half still in the deep freezer. From 09 and 10 season, only thing is its too nice to give to the dogs yet.

I think I finished off all the back straps and roast. I have chops, sirloin teaks, and some leg seaks left over.
  • Just tell me where in sd u are :) i'll take it hehe
  • Spring Valley
  • Oh and I also have the following game also

Chuckar
    Duck
    Goose
    Turkey
    Hog
    Rainbow Trout (From the sierras)
    Rabbit

I think thats it.
  • aykayk
    edited February 2011
    Hey, I'll take some! And I already live/work in the SD area. You can email me at jindojunkie@yahoo.com.
  • tjbart17...I think Rita said she was going to feed the dogs ONE

Saya ....sounds like good advice ,thanks

Calia....I gave away a whole deer a couple of weeks ago.I still have almost two left in the freezer all taken this season from upstate.If I,m not mistaken isnt there plenty of deer out by you,just drag one off the side of the road lol.(just kidding).I like giving away venison away to people who really enjoy it.Maybe not so much now now that I know its good for my dog lol.

sunyata....I love making venison jerky,I should probably cut down on the cayenne pepper if gonna feed it to the dog lol

shishiinu...back straps rule !!! I think you can only ship venison from certain states (CWD)
  • Damn Gen, if you have some when we go down to visit (probably in a month or two) I am so stopping by your place lol.
  • @shishiinu -Are there actually limits to shipping wild game? I guess if anything, just pack it with the dry ice and call it cow, most people wouldn't be able to tell the different.

@kaiyak -LoL, we've only been living out here for the past 9 months (was living with family in Ronkonkoma before buying the house), so the only deer we saw were at Smith's Point. Though if I wait long enough at Heckscher, since everyone feeds the deer from their cars, I could probably get more than enough meat in no time (and some nice car parts too) ;)

A bit of an OT question, is it more cost effective to hunt your meat than buy it from the grocer/butcher? I know wild game meat is a lot healthier, especially since those commercial cows are pumped full of god knows what, but is the end cost (supplies/permits vs. store meat) better or worse?
  • edited February 2011
    For me it would be cheaper to buy my meat from the butcher.I have to spend the gas for a 6 hour round trip,tolls,propane for heat in my camper (which stays upstate) food for a couple of days and a couple of beers for after the hunt.All that adds up to at least 200 bucks.Times that by at least half a dozen trips each winter and it adds up.Plus tags and license about another 100 and hunting ,camping supplies.This year was a good year for me as I was able to harvest 3 deer.But not all years are as good, most years 1 some years none and the butcher always has meat.The meat is just a bonus, its about being at one with nature and all it has to offer.The adrenaline rush you get when you spot something after many hours or days in the woods.The stalk, the kill ,the hours it takes to drag the animal out of the woods,the hunt, is priceless.
  • edited February 2011
    Agree, its waaaay cheaper to go to the meat shop here too. Ca has the highest resident license fee's in the nation and with gas prices the way they are, its really expensive to hunt. We are only limited to two deer but since the local lion population exploded I'm lucky to get one a year. But I get to hunt quite a few different game through out the year so I'm usually hunting all year round or until the tuna get closer to San Diego during the summer.

Maybe a socal meet with a wild game cook out would be fun... That will help clean out the freezer.
  • edited February 2011
    Its waaaay cheaper to get your tuna from the fish market here in NY. The tuna usually run upwards of 100 miles off shore from my home port . Sold my boat a few years back when fuel topped $5 a gal. on the water.
    It sounds like to me you should be hunting the cougars, I ate cougar once ( no I'm not referring to the ones you saw in the mall ) and it was very tasty.
  • The tuna come in as close as 10 miles off shore. Usually from jun to august I fish for tune, yellowtail, and calico bass during the surface fishing season. Its a blast watching a yellowfin or a yellowtail boil on a fly lined sardine.

Unfortunately cougar hunting was banned in cali long ago. So now we have a over populated population of cougars which are now controlled and hunted by usda hunters courtesy of tax payers.

• Well, you've heard it from the others, but I'm thinking venison may be one of the most superior foods for a doggie. It is amazing how it seems to add a wonderful energy to Josephine, our Kai. And when she is able to have a relatively steady diet including the venison her hair and every other aspect about her seems to be even more healthy. Fortunately for her, my husband and his friends had quite a nice deer hunting season the last 2-3 years at our farm in central MN. When they butcher the deer, he saves many of the deer parts that are difficult to use but have lots of meat (i.e. neck bones, leg bones, etc.). He boils them, after which it's pretty simple to "harvest" the meat. Josephine then gets a feast of the meat, most often mixed with rice. Same thing with the organs like the deer's liver, heart, etc. that people don't like to eat. I do agree that the bones themselves are questionable after boiling... apparently that makes them brittle, therefore dangerous... Having said that, there are certain of the bones that she loves to gnaw on, and under supervision, he will let her have a bone now and then. We have not fed raw meat to Josephine to this date, but part of that is that we likely were spooked by the CWD (chronic wasting disease) stories a few years back here in MN and Wisc. I say, go for all the venison you can give your doggies... they'll love it and will be healthier for having been able to eat it...
  • can you cook, prepare several meals at once, freeze or tupaware ? Or do you cook the meat each time you feed it to the dog?
  • My husband usually cooks enough meat to last several days to a week. He usually mixes it with white rice. We also feed Josephine dry dog food along with the venison and rice. I think its a great idea to cook in bulk, and then freeze in smaller portions... saves lots of time that way! That's how we approach our human food cooking, too, since are kids have left the house to fend for themselves (as self-sufficient adults, I should add)...
  • Ialso at times will cook enough for a week. Especiallywhen I get a goodcatch of trout, I prepare it with some rice and dry dog food. But its not a every day thing that my dogs get to eat this stuff. It comes down to what we have in the freezer that the can eat.
  • Thanks for the tips! I like the idea of preparing a weeks worth of food at one time.
  • kaiyak: Have you gotten your Kai pup yet? There are so many new Kai pups among the group I cannot keep up, I swear! And sorry if I missed the post about the arrival of your little one...
  • edited February 2011
    @baanton No pup yet, she is only 5 weeks old . So its going to be another 3 weeks before I can bring her home and officially enlist her into the KAI ARMY! lol
  • Oh yay! More kai pups! Oh dear I am getting more and more kai fever! XD

Good luck with her, can't wait to see pics...