Hair problem

I posted this discussion also on the Shiba forum, but I am hopeful that you can help me with too :)

My 1 and 1/2 year old Shiba, Toshiro, has some problems with his fur. When we got him as a pup, everything was fine, he had nice fur. His parents have both nice full coats, no problems in family.
When he shed for the first time spring 2010, his fur did not come back also not for this winter, he has some on his neck and buttocks but for the rest he has short hair!
also around 1 year ago, we had some weight problems with him, he just would not eat, this problem is now solved :) shoved for over 6 months over 600 grams of raw meat daily into him hehe that did the trick.

When we got him, he was our first Shiba, we continued on the food of the breed, which was Franks Pro-Gold, only later when we got to know other Shiba breeders, we got to know the importance of food.

So my question is, did we ruin the fur when he was a puppy due to the not good food?

We use No. 91 EPO oil and No. 20 EPO shampoo both from Isle of Dogs, plus he gets some salmon oil, when not shedding.

I want to do more shows with him, but without fur .... just a waste of the entry fees...

With our 2 Shiba pups, they got Happy Dog kibble and some spoonful of raw meat. And since they are 4 months they only get raw meat, with orijen as a change, and their fur is just great, but their lines are also impeccable.

Please help me.

Comments

• If you have not already taken to a vet for a metabolic workup I would highly recommend it. Thyroid issues and other hormonal issues could be the cause.
  • EPO is Evening Primrose Oil?
    Maybe try a fish based oil and see if that helps.
    I've also heard a lot of great things about Solid Gold's Seameal.

But more important than that is checking in with the vet, maybe doing a full blood panel and thyroid test to make sure there isn't a health reason for the coat problem.
  • Do you have a picture with before and after? Where region do you live in? If you are in a warm or tropical climate, often the fur will not grow in as thick. Some dogs do not have thick coats as adults, even if the parents have a thick coat.... And sometimes the thick coat will not develop until later after 18 months or more. It just depends on the dog.... If there is real concern with weight gain etc maybe a thyroid test or other blood work is a good idea to make sure all is well.

Snf

• Got in touch again with the owner of the sire of Toshiro, they said that their dog now 3 years old only now begins to blossom and get a good fur, well call that a late bloomer... well he is getting more body now and the fur is coming in FINALLY!!

Thank you all for your support and ideas, I will definitely run a blood check on him. ^_^