Klee Kai

edited January 2011 in Other Breeds
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Klee Kai? I'd like to know more than what wikipedia has to offer...lol.
From what I gathered, they're a bit like Shibas.

Comments

• aykayk
    edited January 2011
    More like Chihuahuas, at least the ones I saw.

I've heard though that they've made strides in improving the temperament of the Klee Kai.
  • :( Hmmm...I've been looking around and have seen a wide array of characteristics. Some keep the husky look and some look like chihuahuas with husky features.
  • Total nutcases. Hyper and vocal. Total spazzzzzzzz.
  • Well, maybe I should reconsider these guys. thanks.
  • I have come across quit a few at different shows. They have all been the same. I was really drawn to them at first because of their looks. After being around about 100 of them at a speciality, I would never own one. They drove me nuts.
  • I met one at Petco once. It felt like dealing with a chihuahua in my opinion.
  • I'm sure they can make a nice pet, but I am put off by how they were designed. I do believe they are a designer breed of sorts, with no functional purpose. I have no issue with people mixing dogs to make better working dogs, but just doing it to make a cuter, miniature companion version of a husky, a shadow of the real thing, doesn't really strike a good chord with me. Partly why I don't like mini/toy/teacup (mame) things.
  • Yeah, I'm really put off now. A lot of them that I have seen just don't look right, and I have never liked the temperment of Chihuahuas...I think I shall stick to pining over Akitas.

I'm with you on not liking toy breeds. I haven't had many good experiences with them. My boyfriend's Dad has a toy something or another. I took my Shiba over there and the little dog wouldn't stop lunging and snapping at him. My Shiba just looked at it like it was insane and walked the other direction. Lol.
  • I never met Klee kai, but they look cute, but don't think I'd own one.

There's a few dogsters who have them so maybe ask them Lilith is one and Esmeralda.

I'd like to have a kishu, kai ken, or shikoku as my next dog..
  • Does someone know what is the health situation in this breed?
  • From the ones we saw at the Pat Hastings seminar, they can be structural wrecks. We saw one whose rear hocks were so bad, they were literally popping out at each stride. But a small group of breeders are working on improving the structure in the breed, hence their attendance at the seminar.

There seems to be some nicer ones at the UKC shows in my area.

• Personally, I'd steer clear. Luxating patella, hypothyroidism, juvenile cataracts, Factor VII deficiency, portosystemic shunts, heart murmurs, distichiasis...I wouldn't be surprised about epilepsy either.
    http://www.akkaoa.org/healthissues.htm
  • When I tried contacting a few Klee Kai breeders some time ago, many of them were in denial of any health issues existing in the breed. One even stated that LP doesn't exist at all and that all the knee caps would tighten over time, which isn't true as it has been stated that some of the schipperkes used had LP or were related to those with LP so it is possible in the breed. There are plenty of other great small dog breeds out there, so I would look at those first.
  • I was once looking into this breed a few years ago when I wanted a Pomeranian. I pretty much came to the conclusion that they are Chihuahuas with husky markings and terrible health. They didn't seem like a breed that would fit me nor like a smaller working version of a any strain of husky.

Of course, I am sure if you really dig into it, you'll find those good breeders that'll be the exception and you'll find what you're looking for, just depends if you're willing to put in the effort.
  • Yeahhh I was considering a Klee Klai before coming across the Nihon breeds. When I went up to meet Stacey and Ren there was one at PetSmart, it was a bit too much on the neurotic/twitchy side for me, and it was apparently on the "good" end of the spectrum. Apparently at shows they're all neurotic spazzy messes and the judges can barely handle them lol. Pass!
    Better off getting a Shiba if you want a small dog or an actual Husky that's on the small end.
  • No, no, no. I'm not even thinking getting one :D! I just saw in one Finnish schipperke forum that people are so thrilled about this "new" breed and thought to share some info about their healt. And if I want small dog, I would get a Schipp ;).
  • I am not impressed with those I have seen. The conformation is terrible in most, but they also seem to be way too dependent on their people to do much independent work.
  • I was once interested in these dogs and was exchanging emails with a woman who was working with their breeder to rehome her dog because he had epilepsy and the current owner wasn't able to provide the lifelong care, so epilepsy does happen within the breed (I don't know how prevalent it really is).

The breeder and owner decided, at the last minute, that I was not a proper fit because I owned a Malamute (London - who was a pup at the time). I've never really looked at the breed since; it was a bad experience for me. :1
  • edited October 2012
    I have conversed with a breeder in Florida. I found their personality in general wasn't what I wanted in a pet. The turn off were the posts of the dogs nipping as warning signs and their standoffish attitude with children. Yes, they can be socialized to be friendly with children but after I had an aggressive dog, I cannot bear to see another loved one be bitten by my dog, especially my future kids.

When I asked the breeder about finances, I was surprised to see the price was as much as a Shikoku. That was a turn off ... plus there is something odd about their appearance that I'm not crazy about compared to the beautiful Siberian Husky.
  • I'm with Lindsay. Their whole concept turns me off.
  • @Zinja I used to wonder what looked off about them too, because I think huskies are gorgeous and have loved them for as long as I can remember; then I realized it was their bulgy eyes and short muzzles (making them look chihuahua-like).
  • So is the klee kai like the mame shiba where they just bred runts to runts or did they mix another breed in there to get the smaller size?
  • @okiron I believe that they are legitimately a mix of several different breeds; I don't know a great deal about them, though (I feel like I used to know a list of breeds they said were involved, though).

Before I got my Lapphund (when I was like... 8 or 9, lol), I thought they were really cool--but then I actually went to some UKC shows and they were there and, at least at the time, they really were very annoying. Barky, sometimes snappish, and once my aunt pointed out their bug eyes it couldn't be unseen. Health problems seem rampant, and just... generally not a good thing.

They sort of come with a built-in popularity, though, because so many people think Sibes are cool-looking but want a small dog and are okay with the weird factor. Unfortunately. I don't really object to developing breeds as a companion animal... but an unhealthy dog with horrible structure and suspect temperament doesn't make for a good companion for the average person whatever the dog's breed.

It also always rubbed me the wrong way when they're described as "miniaturized Alaskan huskies," because... I'm pretty sure that almost any small mix could look like a "miniaturized Alaskan husky" if it was built to run...
  • edited October 2012
    Here's the website of the breed founder:
    http://www.alaskankleekai.com/spurlin/

We had an interesting discussion about Klee Kai on the Shiba side a while back, because apparently the breed founder had considered using Shibas to create her mix, then decided against them for their supposed "aggression."

Temperament-wise, I agree with @cezieg that the two that I've met have been extremely "twitchy." That's a pretty good adjective. Bowdu, who already dislikes Huskies, apparently hates Klee Kai even more! He has learned to keep himself in check around Huskies, but the spazzy Klee Kai apparently don't know how to stay out of his space, bringing out the reactiveness in him. He "had words" (lunged and snarled) with two separate KK, who ran off screaming like crazy though they weren't hurt. Sigh.

Yeah, not a breed I'd consider anytime soon. Or ever.
  • I don't like them for a lot of reasons, and bulgy eyes is one, but also I don't like the whole "designer breed" thing. And the original breeder also said stupid things about Alaska (total romanticized bullshit) and her claim that Klee Kai means "little dog" in Eskimo is problematic. In Yupik or Inupiat? Doesn't sound like either language, frankly, though "klee" is somewhat similar in sound to one form of the Athabaskan word for dog (and that's about all I remember of my two semesters of Athabaskan!), but Athabaskan is an Indian language not an Eskimo language.

So yeah. Ugh. Not a breed I'd ever get either. and I have to admit I had a moment of horror when I saw this thread resurrected, and thought, oh, no! Someone's getting one! Glad to hear that wasn't the case!
  • I don't like any breed with bulgy eyes. That's one of the many reasons why I don't like small dogs...

Anywho, I've met just one of these, she was nice, cute, but really not my type. Very yappy. I'm fine with barking (I encourage it in some situations) but I cannot stand small dog yapping.
    I never really liked this breed since I have always felt that downsizing breeds was somewhat stupid.
  • edited October 2012
    I'm not fond of them. They're cute in drawings but fluffy bug-eyed chihuahuas in real life. I agree with everything @Losech said. Also I don't like that this breed was made just because someone wanted a tiny husky. Breeds should have a purpose, a niche to fill that was lacking.
  • Most neurotic dogs I have ever met.
  • I'm not even opposed to creation of new dog breeds just for companion purposes in theory, but they went and butchered it. The dogs are weird-looking and have bad temperaments. I'll stick with shibas any day.

I do agree that there's not much point in making a new companion dog, though. There are plenty of companion dogs dying in shelters. I don't tend to use pet over-population as an argument against breeding, because breeding preserves dogs that wouldn't exist otherwise, but I do think there should be some justification as to why the dogs you're breeding should exist. If they're no better than any random dog off the street at what they do, then it becomes harder to justify creating them. True, not all companion dogs are the same and people do have specific wants and needs, and it's good that breeds exist and so on, but what does a klee kai really offer? There are dogs that are cuter, nicer, smarter, and healthier sitting homeless waiting to be adopted. There's no preservation component because there's no history to the breed, and no work function that they're specialized to perform.

But, like I said, I wouldn't even be opposed to creating a new breed for no other purpose than for looks in theory if it were done properly. If it's done properly, then no harm done.
  • I think I pretty much agree with Hondru. I don't mind dog breeds being created as companion breeds---in fact, I think that it can be the most legitimate reason to create a breed. It seems to me that multiple breeds exist for most work applications and the fact is that the primary "job" of most dogs now is companions. Creating dogs like that will probably fill a bigger niche than creating a working dog since most people don't work their dogs. Moreover, lots of breeds that people like because of their looks (like the Husky) aren't suited to normal homes (there's a reason so many adolescent Huskies end up in rescue) and creating a new breed can preserve those sorts of breeds for the correct home (people who like independant dogs and know to tucker them out to avoid destructive behavior) while hopefully allowing others to get a dog that looks like they want but has a temperament more suited to being a companion in a normal home.

But I just don't get the point of a Klee Kai. They're really nothing like miniature Huskies. Their structure is way different and more importantly, so is their temperament. They're not super friendly dogs. They're high strung and aloof. Given that, there's really no reason for them to exist when Shibas exist. Shibas have better structure but are also small dogs. They're double-coated and a black and tan is going to appeal a lot to people who like Huskies because they do look similar. Yes, Shibas are more aloof generally than Huskies but then so are Klee Kais and Shibas aren't neurotic, barky messes---which makes them a lot more like a Husky in temperament than the Klee Kai.