ThunderShirt

edited January 2011 in Products & DIY
So, after everyone's ordeals this month and the reviews that I have read online, I decided to get Nola a ThunderShirt.

It arrived this afternoon, so I thought we would give it a try. Nola is an overall anxious dog. She recovers quickly, but there are some instances where her anxiety really takes over her. (When she is around large dogs or my nephew.)

It came with very easy instructions and the material is SUPER soft. I let Nola sniff it (and yes, it make her anxious... new item in the house and all). We played some treat games with it so that she could get used to it before I put it on her.

Putting it on was a little bit of an ordeal... However, now that I know how to do it, I can get it on and off of her quickly with no fuss at all. In order to get a good snug fit, I had to put it on twice. The second time, Nola was much more agreeable, so I think that helped, as well.

And presto...

She was a little confused. I have never dressed her in anything other than collars and harnesses, so the confusion was a bit understandable. It took her a few minutes to realize she could still walk (I had to lure her with cheese). And it took a few more minutes for her to realize she could still sit and lay down.

But it really was like a switch had been flipped. She was much calmer than normal and WAY less anxious. She did not even flinch when Bella jumped off the bed and started barking at the front door (neighbor walking down the street... she could see him from the bedroom window). She is just calmly laying beside my chair.

And while this is definitely not a miracle product, and the real test is yet to be performed (I will go down and see my nephew in a couple of weeks), I really do think that there is something to the ThunderShirt.

DSC_3504

DSC_3506

Comments

• Awesome! I wonder when Koda's will come in? It does have to go to the west coast, hopefully by Monday. If it only helps him with car rides, I will be happy with it.

It's great to hear that she didn't react to the neighbors. Did you cross post on the Shiba side? I'm sure some of the owners on there would like to hear about it.
  • She looks very relaxed. I'm tempted to get it now, just in case I have an occassion for it. Or maybe when I get another pup, I'll use it during socializing?
  • @tjbart17 - Tara, I ordered it from Amazon... Free 2-day shipping is awesome. Hopefully yours will get to you Monday.

And yeah, I cross posted over there as well. I figured my silly little Shiba is not the only one that is a little anxious. :)

@ayk - Ann, it is definitely great to have. You never know when it will come in handy.
  • I just purchased one that hasn't yet arrived. I am going to try it on Sachi for car travel. She gets nervous in the car and I think that contributes to her getting motion sickness (one feeds into the other). I will report if it helps quell some of her anxiety getting in car.
  • @Edgewood - Kris, hopefully it will help Sachi with her car anxiety. Nola seems to really like having the shirt on. And the effects actually last for a bit after I take it off. (or so it seems) She is getting better about moving around in it.

• I may buy one for Kurenai and Ichi for different reasons. Ichi for his reactivity and Kurenai for the car rides.

Jesse
  • @CrimsonO2 maybe I can actually pet Ichi lol.
  • One can hope Julie:-)

Jesse
  • And...

The vacuum cleaner is no longer the scariest monster in the world! :-D

So early today, I vacuumed, but I forgot about the ThunderShirt... So Nola did her usual freak out and hide under the bed.

So this evening, I figured I would let her wear the ThunderShirt for a bit and then bring out the vacuum. There was barely a reaction. She acknowledged that it was there and stayed away from it, but she did not run and hide under the bed. She stayed within sight of it and just watched. After I ran the vacuum for about 2 minutes or so, I turned it off and gave her some yummy treats. It was AWESOME!

Oh, I really hope this works with my nephew!
  • Nice!!!!!! Glad that the scary vacuum monster is scaring her anymore.
  • Ok got the Thundershirt and it's a go! Koda let me put it on him no problem. But he's had lots of clothes on him for his work, and it's like his harness a bit.

We didn't do anything to test his anxiety, but he did calm down. He's been on my butt since the accident following me everywhere and tonight he got up on the couch and went to sleep with it on. Usually he will only sleep on the couch with me there and him on my lap, but I'm in the recliner and he's happy to be by himself. I even left the house to see what he would do and he just kept sleeping on there. This is really cool. I can't wait to put it on and drive somewhere. lol.

We will visit the crash site in the future with it on. Not sure about walking yet. I'll give it a couple of days.
  • YAY! I am so glad that it is helping Koda relax! Hopefully it will help in with riding as well. :)

It really was amazing to watch the change in Nola's nervousness when I put it on her. I really wish I had gotten her one sooner... But I guess better late than never!
  • Thanks for the reviews! I'm going to get one for Bel, since she has, well, just general anxiety. I'm sure even if it helps a little, that will be worth it!
  • Get one. I'm telling you, even though my dad is totally going to laugh at me, it was great last night. I guess I didn't realize how insecure Koda has been since the accident, but he's been getting on my nerves at my ankles all day long. He has had to be right by my side. I can't even shower or pee alone it's been so bad. He's just right there getting tripped on.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Koda Bear. He's my heart, but a little distance was nice last night. I missed my independent Kai.
  • I order 2 yesterday. 1 for Tora and 1 for Kuma. Kuma has always been scared of men ever since a NIPPO judge threw a hat at him trying to get his attention. I am hoping this will allow me to work with him and get him over that anxiety. Tora has been weir around strangers ever since her episode with a judge in the show ring. Hopefully this will also reduce her anxiety so we can get her back to where she used to be.
  • Oh Koda and Tora are probably very alike! Once someting happens, they never forget.
  • Yay! I have been amazed at the difference in Nola. The big test is still a couple of weeks away, but I have really high hopes that it will help her anxiety and fear with my nephew. It has helped tremendously around the house (the vacuum is no longer a terrible monster!).

So for anyone with a nervous or anxious dog, get one of these... Nola seems so much more at ease! (Wow, I feel like an infomercial...)
  • Wau! Reading these success stories I have started to think getting one for Ife. ( And now my mum asks which money and I answer from my student account. And then I eat couple months oat porridge :D)
  • @MirkaM: In the grand scheme of things, they really are not that expensive. I paid $36 (US) for Nola's... With free shipping from Amazon. I can not remember exactly where you are located, but I am sure you could find a similar deal. If Amazon ships to your country, check them out. :)
  • In Finland is one inter net firm selling these. And the price is about that 36 dollars.
  • I got mine off Ebay. $36 plus free shipping. The sales of the shirts go toward a rescue group.
  • @sjp051993 - Stacey, which just adds to my theory that these things are AWESOME! :)
  • I just ordered one for Kage. I hope it will help with his reactivity.
  • @toecari - Tony, let us know how it does for him!
  • I'm about to buy a Thundershirt for an undersocialized dog that's in my care. That or a Calming cap.

It's been kinda warm the past couple of days, and I'm wondering if the Thundershirt fabric breathes or if the dog can get too warm in it?
  • My dog didn't like it and I am not sure whether it did anything for him or not. The shirt was not very easy to fit to my dog that has a very slender body and a long neck.I can see how that was first introduced to horses. And yes it can get hot in there ,at least my double coated 4legged friend did get very toasty in there. I also wish they had not put the logo on the outside . I thought that one could easily make one out of some stretchy material which is what the Thundeshirt does ,it applies pressure. In any case iot is worth a try.My 2cents

Cheers

A.
  • edited May 2012
    @ayk - The thundershirt is layered... So it does not breathe all that well. That being said, Nola has never appeared to get too warm while wearing it. (Granted, at the moment, she is missing a LOT of fur due to her myriad of medical issues...)

Even still, I would give it a try. It has worked wonders for Nola.